Does the club mind if I re-join...?

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

John Sanderson

Does the club mind if I re-join...?

Post by John Sanderson » 16 Sep 2015 13:28

Hello all, some of you may recall my brief stint in the Beacon several years ago (it was not particularly notable or distinguished, but I certainly enjoyed it myself) - life has since taken me off to East Anglia - and even diverted me from cycling for a little while - but I am steadily working towards a comeback to some light racing...

As such I am looking to join a club. For a number of reasons I am not particularly drawn to any of the local clubs in my area and (skinflint that I am) I am loathe to not take advantage of the perfectly useable Becaon RCC kit that I have (and wear with pride! Despite it being the 90's design!!).

I am aware that being a member of any club should be a two-way thing - i.e. members are expected to put back in to a club where they can (marshalling events/etc/etc). For me this is fairly unrealistic - the only time I expect to see myself back in the Midlands is if I am to enter the LMTT in 2016.

It'd be good to know what the general view of the club would be on me applying to be a member again. I understand perfectly if it is not felt to be appropriate...

Hope this makes sense, and apologies if this would have been better directed discretely to a membership sec than posted on the forum (I umm-ed and aah-ed on this point)...
It's all about the bike.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 16 Sep 2015 17:59

Same you don't have our CX kit John, often referred to as our "away kit".

Seriously, I don't see any reason why clubs should be location specific, I know of 'virtual' clubs (albeit not necessarily involved in racing) that attract members from across the country. I'd personally think it would be great to have you involved with the club again in any capacity.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Tim

Post by Tim » 16 Sep 2015 18:12

What sort of races? What do you mean by light racing? That word and lmtt doesn't normally appear in same sentence! Definitely you should rejoin. The new kit is brilliant and an order is going in this month so I'd recommend an upgrade! home kit is required by BC for crit/road racing.
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

John Sanderson

Post by John Sanderson » 16 Sep 2015 19:22

CakeStop wrote:Same you don't have our CX kit John, often referred to as our "away kit"
I did look on with envy when the 'black' kit emerged, and it would be rather apt I suppose!
Tim wrote:What sort of races? What do you mean by light racing? That word and lmtt doesn't normally appear in same sentence!
Perhaps " limited and not to a particularly high standard" would have been a better description! Likely a small number of Open TTs on sporting courses, with a decidedly 'roadman' approach to it all (I don't see myself as good enough to invest in a disc wheel or TT bike). Ultimately my aim will be a sub 2 hour LMTT next year, a goal I chased for a few years without success (an example of my self indulgent ramblings on that subject can be found here https://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/2012/04/)

Thank-you for the encouraging response so far though, I appreciate it!
It's all about the bike.

Tim

Post by Tim » 16 Sep 2015 19:46

Sub 2 hour lmtt would be very nice for me too!
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 16 Sep 2015 21:07

There's no reason why you shouldn't rejoin John. We'd be glad to have you back

Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

George

Post by George » 17 Sep 2015 09:47

A couple of decades back, I remained a member (and wore the kit) for several years while living abroad.

The sense of community within a club is enhanced by the core of its membership living close enough together to meet on a reasonably regular basis, but that in no way precludes some members living elsewhere, especially if they are people who have non-geographical ties.

My only word of caution: do I understand that your Beacon kit is the old design? (This one, not this one?) The old-design kit is not strictly permitted for racing under BC regs. However, the chances of you meeting a commissaire in East Anglia who knows or cares that your kit is out of date are pretty slim, I think. (No problem in CTT events, of course.)

John Sanderson

Post by John Sanderson » 28 Oct 2015 08:05

George wrote:A couple of decades back, I remained a member (and wore the kit) for several years while living abroad.

The sense of community within a club is enhanced by the core of its membership living close enough together to meet on a reasonably regular basis, but that in no way precludes some members living elsewhere, especially if they are people who have non-geographical ties.

My only word of caution: do I understand that your Beacon kit is the old design? (This one, not this one?) The old-design kit is not strictly permitted for racing under BC regs. However, the chances of you meeting a commissaire in East Anglia who knows or cares that your kit is out of date are pretty slim, I think. (No problem in CTT events, of course.)
Thanks for the positive slant on it George! I have had my head down trying to re-establish something resembling a training routine recently, with luck it's beginning to gain traction!

Yes - i'm in 'classic 90s' Beacon attire (and you never know re: the comms, first time I rode at North Weald (nr Harlow) someone on the startline looked at me and went "you'll know Hughie McGuire then?"!!!). But my main focus will be TTs - mass start racing is definite 'nice to do'...
It's all about the bike.

DUBL02

Ex member rejoining.

Post by DUBL02 » 11 Dec 2015 19:20

Hello all, just to continue the topic of re-joining. I was curious as to whether i would also be allowed to re-join as an 'away' member? Having been in Canada for 17yrs i have started doing some training with a view to racing again soon. Not wanting to forget my roots, i would like to represent my first cycling club. Thanks,

Martin Gledhill.

George

Post by George » 14 Dec 2015 15:06

Great to hear from you, Martin!

I'm not aware of any geographical restriction on membership. I was a member for 4 years while living abroad, and we currently have members who live entirely or partially in Spain, France, Australia and the US; there may be others whom I don't know about.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 14 Dec 2015 18:35

Welcome (back) to the Beacon Martin

DUBL02

Post by DUBL02 » 14 Dec 2015 22:05

Thanks a lot guys, i've filled out my membership on line and i will look forward to catching up with things. I also signed up on the Facebook page.

John Sanderson

Re: Does the club mind if I re-join...?

Post by John Sanderson » 14 Sep 2018 21:50

I know this is an ancient thread resurrection, BUT - i have, this evening, rejoined the club using the excellent PayPal route!

Unfortunately my best intentions to race in 2016 did not come to pass and attempts at a comeback in 2017 were thwarted by emerging asthma which was particularly nasty at both ends of the year. However, touch wood, this is now under control and I am intending to ride my first TT since 2011 tomorrow.
It's all about the bike.

Yosser

Post by Yosser » 14 Sep 2018 22:21

Welcome back to both of you.

Martin we have another Canadian member, Pete Ryan. As Canada is a small country, I bet you are bumping into him all the time. Give him my regards.

petemarshall

Re:

Post by petemarshall » 15 Sep 2018 10:16

George wrote:
17 Sep 2015 09:47
A couple of decades back, I remained a member (and wore the kit) for several years while living abroad.

Any commissaire worth his expenses will be interested in a jersey he doesn't see on a regular basis and may well look it up later which will result in at least another note to the club's BC contact. As I was that person, the black "away" kit (are we a football team?) already causes enough problems so racing in a BC sanctioned race in unregistered kit is not a good idea and I would respectfully suggest you don't do it. There are very good reasons for the jersey design rules.
Last edited by petemarshall on 16 Sep 2018 20:13, edited 1 time in total.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 15 Sep 2018 21:10

Welcome back again John, whichever jersey you happen to be wearing!

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 17 Sep 2018 15:00

I regularly represent the Beacon DownUnder (when does my cheque arrive? :lol: ) and lead the Beacon A(ustralia) Sunday ride when other members visit Brisbane. Everyone is welcome, just don't nick my Beacon Strava KOMs!
Wear the kit with pride 8)
Belt up, we're going for a ride

John Sanderson

Post by John Sanderson » 19 Sep 2018 08:46

CakeStop wrote:
15 Sep 2018 21:10
Welcome back again John, whichever jersey you happen to be wearing!
Cheers Steve - my aim is to get an up to date jersey once i'm back at my racing weight... So the old kit is ok for now!

I didn't make it to my race in time last Sat (the event was only a few miles away as the crow flies, but the other side of an estauary, so an hour drive away), but it's a Saturday morning series of club 10's so I am intending to go along this week. Sadly my aim is just to break evens, that's what 7 years of no training sets you back to!
It's all about the bike.

Jim Moore

Post by Jim Moore » 30 Jan 2019 19:43

I remember you John and am currently thinking the same way so interested to see the responses.
I miss number 43.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 31 Jan 2019 15:20

Jim Moore wrote:
30 Jan 2019 19:43
I remember you John and am currently thinking the same way so interested to see the responses.
Bleedin Hell, Jim! I thought were rid of you. Well I suppose we ought have you back.