Unemployed

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

AlanW

Unemployed

Post by AlanW » 07 Jan 2016 12:49

If you believe what the media says then seemingly there are not enough jobs around to satisfy demand?

However, before Christmas we (The AA that is) advertised for a depot operative for our production hub in Redditch. Not a difficult or challenging job at all with decent enough hours and a respectable pay for what the job entailed.

In total we had 47 applicants. so far so good.

In order to reduce the candidates, part of the selection process was of course that they meet a certain criteria. Such as FLT licence, production experience and a broad understanding of heath and safety etc etc.

So from the original 47 applications we reduced it pretty quickly down to around a dozen.

From that dozen we then spent time reading CVs and covering letters. The dozen were then reduced to just six.

The chosen six were all contacted and the interviews were arranged for throughout the day yesterday (Wednesday).

From that six, the first one of the day turned up on time, the second one also arrived on time but during the interview informed us about something that he had not declared on his application that was suffice to rule him immediately out of contention.

During lunch we had a mail from HR that the candidate for the first interview after lunch could not make it. However, he could attend the following day at 08:30 (today) if it was okay with us.

As for the remaining candidates, no one else turned up, with no apologies given? And just to finish our recruitment process off, the person for this mornings interview.....well he didn't show up either!

Sort of made our decision quite easy really in the end on account that it was a one horse race.

But the point I'm struggling with, is why apply for a job, be successful in being selected for an interview and then simply not turn up?? Yes I accept that things happen or you may even change your mind, but not to make contact is beyond me to be honest.
Last edited by AlanW on 07 Jan 2016 12:54, edited 2 times in total.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 07 Jan 2016 12:52

:shock: Quite astonishing!

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 07 Jan 2016 12:57

Philip Whiteman wrote::shock: Quite astonishing!
It is Phil, and I admit to being slightly stunned by it all and I still cannot quite get my head around peoples thought process?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 07 Jan 2016 17:07

Frustrating I'm sure but if they're that unreliable you're better off without them so they did you a favour by not putting you at risk of offering them the job. You only need to work out how you could have figured out that from their applications :wink:
Eat cake before you're hungry

Les Ladbury

Post by Les Ladbury » 07 Jan 2016 17:53

Not unbelievable I'm sorry to say.
Could it be that some are on benefits and have to apply for jobs which they have absolutely no intention of getting because they are quite happy living on state hand-outs?
If they didn't seek employment would they not qualify for their benefit payments?
Les

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 07 Jan 2016 19:53

CakeStop wrote: You only need to work out how you could have figured out that from their applications :wink:
Yeah if only Steve.....on paper at least, the ones remaining were all credible candidates. But as you quite rightly say, better to find out now!

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 07 Jan 2016 19:58

Les Ladbury wrote: Could it be that some are on benefits and have to apply for jobs which they have absolutely no intention of getting because they are quite happy living on state hand-outs?
If they didn't seek employment would they not qualify for their benefit payments?
That was the first conclusion that we came to, but two of the remaining six had full time jobs and they didn't show either?

Rod Goodfellow
Location: Cranage,Holmes Chapel,Cheshire,UK or Lake Wales,Florida

Post by Rod Goodfellow » 07 Jan 2016 20:38

Quote two of the remaining six had full time jobs and they didn't show either?
Using the possibility of getting a new job to exert pressure on current employer for a pay rise?

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 07 Jan 2016 21:42

Rod Goodfellow wrote:Quote two of the remaining six had full time jobs and they didn't show either?
Using the possibility of getting a new job to exert pressure on current employer for a pay rise?
Maybe, we will never know?

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 09 Jan 2016 10:42

Appointing new staff is always a gamble and often frustrating. Web based recruitment and on line applications widens potential pool of applicants but means that it's very easy to apply and take a punt at a job without any investment in a stamp, printing ink or walk to a post office.

bobg

employment

Post by bobg » 09 Jan 2016 12:30

Employing anyone is always a lottery. I came to the conclusion (having employed highly qualified people with brilliant CVs who turned out to be useless.) that the most important thing was a willingness to work, learn and an aptitude for the work.
There is not a hill that is to steep to walk up.