BIKES STOLEN

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

John D

BIKES STOLEN

Post by John D » 29 Mar 2016 09:38

had the misfortune to have a door prised off and 2 bikes stolen last night.

Probably never to be seen again, however if anybody hears anything, please advise

Planet X sl pro carbon, American Classic Victory 30 wheels, 105 10sp plus beacon frame sticker!!

Carrera subway 2 hybrid, standard apart from rear scram mech changed to shimano Deore

Cheers guys

JD
Last edited by John D on 29 Mar 2016 17:55, edited 1 time in total.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 29 Mar 2016 10:23

Oh no.....!

Have you got photos and frame numbers that you can circulate?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

George

Post by George » 29 Mar 2016 10:44

Sorry to hear this, John. Recovery rates for stolen bikes aren't good, but I hope you buck the trend.

When you say "door prised off", are you referring to a house door, shed door, garage door?

John D

Post by John D » 30 Mar 2016 12:49

AlanW wrote:Oh no.....!

Have you got photos and frame numbers that you can circulate?

Alan, thanks, link to pic below following a particularly dirt days riding on my "pain through spain" ride last year.

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/JTDEE ... a.jpg.html

The wheels have since been changed to reasonably distinctive American classic victory 30 (black white and red) with Michelin part red walled tyres

I'm trying to be philosophical about it, afterall its a bike, but its a mix of anger and frustration at the financial loss (hope the insurers play ball), my time and upheaval in dealing with police, insurance company, repairs to property etc., worrys about security generally, children have been in tears due to a mix of concern for having scum break into our garage and feeling sorry for Dad, and a bit of sentiment for all the time and care I invested in it.

You then realise it wasn't just the bike.....sigma computer....garmin mount....carbon bottle holders.....high pressure pump.....one of your bottle tool holders and contents etc.

A bit of a lesson for all but I hadn't noted the frame numbers on either bike

Hey ho

JD

John D

Post by John D » 30 Mar 2016 12:55

George wrote:Sorry to hear this, John. Recovery rates for stolen bikes aren't good, but I hope you buck the trend.

When you say "door prised off", are you referring to a house door, shed door, garage door?

George, we have a "through garage" attached to the side of the house. there is a rear door to the back garden. They have accessed the garden over one of our gates, broken a 15" window at 6' plus high to climb in, and exited by prising the tee hinges off the door (there was a hasp staple and padlock on it). Extra security now installed!!!!

George

Post by George » 30 Mar 2016 14:27

A miserable business, John. As you say, it's far more than the loss of property... it's all the emotional stuff that goes with it. It makes me angry to think of someone inflicting all that distress on you and your wife and your kids. Someone with local knowledge, I'd say. You and your family probably pass them in the street on a regular basis. Nice thought, eh?

It sounds as though you already had a reasonably secure set-up. It's not as though it was a wooden shed at the bottom of the garden with a £5 padlock.

John D

Post by John D » 30 Mar 2016 16:05

George wrote:A miserable business, John. As you say, it's far more than the loss of property... it's all the emotional stuff that goes with it. It makes me angry to think of someone inflicting all that distress on you and your wife and your kids. Someone with local knowledge, I'd say. You and your family probably pass them in the street on a regular basis. Nice thought, eh?

It sounds as though you already had a reasonably secure set-up. It's not as though it was a wooden shed at the bottom of the garden with a £5 padlock.
George, spot on. It has crossed my mind whether we were targeted. Clearly they were "tooled up" and prepared to break glass, and climb through a small opening to take a bike that was not visible from ground level and also prise off the door from the outside. Not the opportunistic type of breaking into sheds looking for tools lowlife. We have a Dalmatian that is normally really good at guard keeping duties and I was surprised they didn't disturb him. Fortunately they couldn't take everything they wanted as other items were found in our garden. Nevertheless there is the ongoing worry that others now know exactly what you've got

We occupy a reasonably prominent corner position so plenty will have seen me regularly to and fro on bikes, using power and garden tools etc. and although on BVT, Weoley Castle is not far away (at the risk of not tarring everybody with the same brush).
I have also changed my security settings on Strava (I know ... horse...
bolted.... etc.) just to try and mitigate future risk

Its a sorry state of affairs when you feel you need to be always looking over your shoulder and doubting everyone that walks past your house

Tim

Post by Tim » 31 Mar 2016 16:47

So rubbish. I've heard of other bikes and cars being stolen in recent months in Franklin Road and Mary Vale Road in Bournville. Back door keys being pinched through cat flaps and cars then stolen for example!

Hopefully insurance comes through OK for you.
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

Andy_Craddock

Post by Andy_Craddock » 31 Mar 2016 18:04

Really sorry to hear this John.

Ive sent you an email.

Si_Walker

Post by Si_Walker » 01 Apr 2016 11:32

John, Sorry to here of your misfortune. I hope they are recovered or that you can be compensated through the insurance.

Your point about Strava security settings is important and worth perhaps putting up a reminder to other riders to 'action' this.
Si Walker
Beacon Roads Cycling Club