Brake Dilema?

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

AlanW

Brake Dilema?

Post by AlanW » 18 Jul 2016 12:27

So in my quest for a new titanium frame, the choice has finally been narrowed down to the Engima Etape. But now I need to decide on hydraulic or normal caliper brakes?

First let me start that I can see the merits for going down the hydraulic brake route for a commuting or a winter bike as I will wear a set of rims out in one winter, so hydraulic brakes makes every sense. But this bike isnt going to be a everyday or winter bike, although at some point "maybe" it might. Its prime use will be for long rides and audax events, and maybe for long weekend rides with one or two panniers.

The first major negative is the cost, a decent set of disc specific wheels plus discs, then the price of the hydraulic shifters and hydraulic calipers. Consequently thats just added a huge chunk of money to the build cost now?

Then we have the routing for the rear hydrualic pipe on the Etape, in my world of OCD it looks blooming horrible and proper untidy as it goes down the underside of the frame under the bottom bracket and crosses over the front mech gear cable. It would be much better if it went down inside the frame but that brings up other issues then, assuming that it was possible of course?

Which leads me to possible breakdowns out on the road. For example, a snapped brake cable can be replaced in a few minutes, a reputured hydraulic brake hose on the other hand would be a different story. Although to be fair I expect the chances of this happening must be pretty remote?

The other point, and this is the one that is really clouding my judgement is that of sqealing discs due to contamination from what ever source. From time to time I have this problem with the discs on my MTB and it drives me nuts. I have also heard the racket from other peoples disc equipped bikes on club rides and the constant noise under braking, it would drive me bananas!!!

As much as it pains me to say, but the Etape will be built up with the group set plus others bits and pieces from my Rourkie bike, therefore the Rourke frame will be up for sale :cry:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"