Serious collision on St Kenelms

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

Philip Whiteman

Serious collision on St Kenelms

Post by Philip Whiteman » 20 Jul 2016 10:03

On Sunday's club run it was mentioned that a serious incident had occurred the previous day when a cyclist was air ambulanced from Clent.

Yesterday I rode up St Kenelms and noted police RTA markings painted on the road. Putting two and two together, a single marking can be observed indicating the burnt tyre mark across the road surface, probably from a single line of bicycle wheels. The collision must have occurred on the first left hand bend when descending towards Holy Cross. The trajectory indicates the cyclist overshooting the corner onto the wrong side of the road. This section of road is often wet due to springs.

I know this road very well given that it is my commuting route. There are points to observe and take at caution when descending: (i) the S bend where the collision occurred; (ii) the narrow single track section half way down, (iii) vehicles maneuvering in and out of The Vine pub and nearby properties. To be honest, the safest time to descend this hill is during hours of darkness in dry conditions.

Stourbridge News have produced a short article on the incident http://www.stourbridgenews.co.uk/news/1 ... _in_Clent/