Opportunity for our fit over-sixties

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

CakeStop

Opportunity for our fit over-sixties

Post by CakeStop » 21 Nov 2016 20:23

Dear Sir/Madam,

My name is James Mckendry, i am currently a PhD student at the University of Birmingham.
I am writing to you in the hope that you would be able to pass on the details of a research project i am going to be conducting whilst at Birmingham University.

My PhD is focussed on understanding how lifelong exercise (both endurance and power-based) alter muscle function and health. By understanding how the muscles of master athletes differ from those of the same age who do not exercise, we hope to provide clearer guidelines on how to maintain good muscle health and quality of life in old age. In essence, we see individuals that have continued to maintain a high level of exercise as the benchmark for what healthy ageing should look like, and want to spread this message as far and wide as possible through our research.

The individuals we are aiming to recruit for the study are:
• Master power lifters and Master endurance athletes.
• Between the age of 60-80 years, healthy, non-obese, non diabetic, non-smoker, no muscular dystrophy.

What is involved in the study?
• Two testing visits to the School of Sport, Exercise & Rehabilitation Sciences at The University of Birmingham.
• Assessment of body composition (amount of fat and muscle), muscle strength, muscle function and aerobic fitness.
• A single muscle biopsy, blood sample and ultrasound analysis of muscle architecture.

What are the benefits of taking part?
• You will gain an in-depth analysis of how much fat and muscle you have and how dense your bones are.
• Access to expertise and advice from world-leaders in the field of exercise physiology, nutrition and metabolism.

Hopefully you are all still interested in speaking more about participating in the study. If so then please respond positively to this email and we will arrange a time to call you and speak further.

The master athlete over 60 years is a tough group to recruit from (there are so few of you out there!) so your assistance is invaluable to the successful completion of or important research.
Important to note is that all travel and accommodation expenses will be provided for this study, as we understand that many of the athletes may have to travel some distances to get to us. Of course if this is not feasible then we completely understand.

Kind regards,
James Mckendry

James Mckendry M.Res., B.Sc. (Hons), CSCS.
Exercise as Medicine Doctoral Researcher
School of Sport, Exercise & Rehabilitation Sciences,
University of Birmingham
Edgbaston
Birmingham
B15 2TT

Email: jxm965@student.bham.ac.uk
Eat cake before you're hungry

Tim

Post by Tim » 21 Nov 2016 22:59

Go for it people. I took part in a study a couple of years back, interesting process amd results. The muscle biopsy isn't the most pleasant thing ever but it's very quick and I was fine after.
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 22 Nov 2016 10:53

I've put my name up - should be interesting.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 22 Nov 2016 11:25

To young.... :wink:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 22 Nov 2016 11:36

AlanW wrote:To young.... :wink:
Every time these come round I've been too old - now is my big chance.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 22 Nov 2016 17:52

I'm normally to old, now I'm too young. At least I don't need to ponder whether I should consider myself to be a "master endurance athlete" because I'd probably fail on that score too.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 22 Nov 2016 18:56

CakeStop wrote:I'm normally to old, now I'm too young. At least I don't need to ponder whether I should consider myself to be a "master endurance athlete" because I'd probably fail on that score too.
"Master endurance athlete" does have a certain ring to it I must admit