Majorca rip off

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

bobg

Majorca rip off

Post by bobg » 07 Jan 2017 13:46

I booked flights for Majorca last October with Jet2. at a cost of £180 per person. I now see that if I had booked today the cost would be £79.
NOT HAPPY!!!
There is not a hill that is to steep to walk up.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 07 Jan 2017 16:27

Well that's 'dynamic pricing' for you I'm afraid, and it's only going to get more common.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b086kf1b

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 07 Jan 2017 21:19

I read somewhere that the optimum time to buy flights was something like 56 days in advance, it probably varies depending on the destination though. People booking many months in advance clearly really want to go on a particular date and are therefore prepared to pay for the privilege. Near the date, it's supply and demand, if you want one of the last few seats on a particular date you'll be prepared to pay a premium. In the middle somewhere are the folks who aren't too fussed what date they fly and they get the surplus seats over and above what the airline expects to sell in the 50 odd remaining days before the flight.
Eat cake before you're hungry

bobg

Bike box

Post by bobg » 23 Jan 2017 14:06

Had a bit luck with Jet2. I complained on their Facebook page and got the usual reply. Plus a couple or "hate mails" and a post from a lady who reckoned that if this happens with Easyjet you get refunded with vouchers for future use. Not sure if that is the case though.
Anyway no hire bikes available so hired a box from Speeds £5 perday and booked it on to the flight. £60, and an immediate credit for £60 so maybe my moan was listened to.

50+

Post by 50+ » 17 Mar 2017 21:26

I know that Ryan Air - use dynamic pricing, basically when the flight is first open for bookings the seats are cheapest - as the plane fills up the price goes up.
Ive tried to 'play' this system with mixed results - the principle above does apply - but just waiting for next flight doesn't always mean its as cheap as the flight you let go....

bobg

jet2

Post by bobg » 19 Apr 2017 12:55

Feeling a little happier with Jet2 now.. The flights to and from Mallorca were, in terms of the service they provide superb. Everyone was so helpful and probably one of my best ever experience.
The one downside was a 1 hour wait for the baggage on our return. But I assume that was down to baggage handlers, not Jet2.
However the bit that really impressed was, my suitcase had lost 2 wheels on the return flight, (last Thursday) and a new case was delivered this morning. 5 days!! Cant really moan about that.