Smethwick into Birmingham. Canal question

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

Philip Whiteman

Smethwick into Birmingham. Canal question

Post by Philip Whiteman » 13 Feb 2017 15:09

Does anyone know about the condition of the tow paths between Smethwick and Brindley Place?

Just wondering if they are paved and/or suitable for road bikes.

Colin G

Post by Colin G » 13 Feb 2017 15:49

It's a mixed bag Phil. I get on at Smethwick Galton Bridge in the summer months. It can get a bit muddy and puddly and there are some bumpy sections for a mile or so then it opens out onto a rough gravel path which you can barrel along on. I ride it on a road bike with 35mm tyres to compensate - it's passable on a standard road bike but I'd go gingerly until you get familiar with the sections. Biggest hazard in the summer months is stingers going the other way towards Walsall - I spend the first hour at work with itchy shins each morning.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 13 Feb 2017 16:51

Colin G wrote:It's a mixed bag Phil. I get on at Smethwick Galton Bridge in the summer months. It can get a bit muddy and puddly and there are some bumpy sections for a mile or so then it opens out onto a rough gravel path which you can barrel along on. I ride it on a road bike with 35mm tyres to compensate - it's passable on a standard road bike but I'd go gingerly until you get familiar with the sections. Biggest hazard in the summer months is stingers going the other way towards Walsall - I spend the first hour at work with itchy shins each morning.
Thanks Colin. I'll go by road in that case.

jdtate101

Post by jdtate101 » 13 Feb 2017 19:04

If you stick to the north bank it's mostly pea gravel all the way, the south bank gets a tad muddy in winter and has some blocked off sections.