Reporting potholes

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

Tim

Reporting potholes

Post by Tim » 22 Jun 2017 14:57

Reported three yesterday. Well one pothole on one road, several on two other roads.

The single one has already been filled in!! Had a message about Cecil Road though saying "no fault found" probably cos the many holes and trenches along it aren't quite deep enough or there's so many they can't afford to fix.

Cannonhill road not heard about yet, maybe they are busy resurfacing for my commute home :D

Please report any you see or hit! Maybe if we all report Cecil they might look again. Only takes a minute and could save someone injuring themselves or killing their wheels.

Here's the Birmingham link:

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/2011 ... nt_problem

Cycling UK also have an app too although personally for Birmingham CC found it didn't get a response whereas doing it direct does.
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

CakeStop

Re: Reporting potholes

Post by CakeStop » 22 Jun 2017 16:04

Tim wrote:
22 Jun 2017 14:57
Please report any you see or hit!
I don't quite agree with this, I prefer to report only those which I believe represent a particular hazard. If we all report every pothole the more hazardous ones will take longer to be fixed.
Eat cake before you're hungry

RichK

Post by RichK » 23 Jun 2017 08:58

Came down Cecil Road this morning. Take your pick. I suspect none are deep enough to trouble somebody in a car so are not considered to be an issue by BCC.
There is no secret ingredient

Tim

Post by Tim » 23 Jun 2017 10:37

Agreed Steve, any you see as hazardous. With the injuries to Toby and Dave and other reports I've seen including a rider being killed on a club run elsewhere when he hit a pothole just think worth reporting. You could argue also what's hazardous? If it causes cyclist to ride too close to parked cars or right of primary position even if not deep then it's a hazard I think. Cecil Road being perfect example, each on its own I'd say aren't hazardous but because so many and so long and it's NCN so higher cyclist numbers and a rat run for cars heading north onto Pershore the state of it is a hazard in my book, certainly not in "no fault identified" category!
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 26 Jun 2017 13:12

Don't forget to use the Fill That Hole app or weblink if you are outside Birmingham. It automatically locates the relevant authority. When Pete and Colin came off in Lowsenford on a deceptive poorly filled trench. I'd reported complete with picture and depth guess before the nice lady opposite had finished patching Pete up. This one was fixed very quickly because it was down to a contractor putting services in for the new mansion opposite.

Tim

Post by Tim » 27 Jun 2017 17:05

The third road of three I reported has already been marked up to be fixed although looks like just fixing the worst holes when actually the whole 30metres or so needs resurfacing. Also had an email about Cecil Road saying the contractor needs a specific location to be able to assess, I'd just put whole road as a there were so many sections of the road that need rectifying. So will resubmit that one. So all assessed or rectified inside a week. Almost :-)

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 27 Jun 2017 21:54

I reported the Walkers Heath Rd westbound slalom with the description "Multiple large potholes. Not particularly deep but represent a danger to cyclists as they are too deep to ride through and, due to their size and distribution, force cyclists into the middle of the carriageway where vehicles typically attempt to pass following the second of two pinch points."

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 29 Jun 2017 10:56

When I came home last night Walkers Heath / Harbinger Rd was closed for resurfacing over 2 night so fingers crossed.

rdleaper

Post by rdleaper » 30 Jun 2017 22:51

I had a reply on Harbinger Road saying they'll resurface in 3-6 months so sounds like they might have brought it forward!

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 02 Jul 2017 12:10

Sorry to raise hopes, they only relaid the bit around the island at Bells Lane (I don't recall it being a problem). They have at least put some paint marks around the bad patch that I and presumably others reported and one or two other holes.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 18 Jul 2017 21:07

The bad patch that I reported was fixed towards the end of last week :)