Panniers?!

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

Hels147

Panniers?!

Post by Hels147 » 02 Aug 2017 13:20

Hi all,

I start my new job soon and I'm hoping to cycle to work. Last time I cycled to work I used a rucksack, but now I have a bike I can fit panniers to, I'd prefer to use them.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a pannier and rack? Needs to fit my laptop, some clothes and lunch, and needs to be waterproof.

Tia

Hels
If you’re all about the destination, take a f#€king flight!

AlanW

Re: Panniers?!

Post by AlanW » 02 Aug 2017 13:43

From my own experience but a laptop in a pannier isn't good unless you can equal the weight on the other side. Then you are talking some serious weight lugging around every single day. Of course it depends on the size and weight of the laptop and my company one was a heavy old brute and built to withstand all sorts of knocks and bangs.

In the end I opted for a proper laptop rucksack, which I hated wearing, but it was easier and safer than having the laptop in the pannier.

Thankfully this only lasted for a few months then they did away with laptops and we went to remote access via our own PCs, so much better :lol:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 02 Aug 2017 15:22

I've used panniers for 30 odd years for commuting. I started with Carradice but settled on Ortleib which are just great. Fully waterproof and less prone to go out of shape. I always use two to balance the load. Laptop should be fine as long as it is in a protected bag or case. I think some panniers are designed like office bags with laptop protection but i used the standard ones.

Tubus are the best racks but expensive. Somewhere like On Your Bike will have other good ones in Aluminium tubing. I used to strap a leather briefcase on a pannier with bungy cords but eventually learnt the error of my ways!!

GrahamGamblin

Post by GrahamGamblin » 02 Aug 2017 15:53

I've been commuting for years with one of these: https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... runkBagEXP
You have to have a Topeak rack though, and it might not be big enough for your laptop (mine is small so it works fine).
You can get quick-release seatpost racks for these bags if you need to be more adaptable, but obviously you can't carry so much weight.
Graham

Simon Woodward

Post by Simon Woodward » 02 Aug 2017 16:46

I commuted for many years with a laptop and uniform in my panniers. I use a padded laptop case to protect the panniers (hard edges inside panniers can cause problems). My track is a Tubus alloy rack.
I made my own panniers using Ortlieb accessories.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

They're brilliant, but if you're going to buy panniers I'd definitely buy Ortlieb.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 02 Aug 2017 18:03

No panniers is best. Take clothes and laptop in on Monday by public transport or car. Commute Tuesday to Thursday carrying nothing. Take dirty washing home on Friday. Not taking laptop home is better for work/life balance too. Just a thought.

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 02 Aug 2017 18:05

I don't think we're allowed to leave the laptop at work. :cry:

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 03 Aug 2017 20:36

Ortleib Panniers and a Tubus Bike rack - you can't go wrong
Although unlike other people on this thread I often ride with just one pannier
Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

RichK

Post by RichK » 04 Aug 2017 08:06

I've only ever used one pannier & never had any sort of weight distribution problems.

Never tried carrying a laptop so can't make any specific recommendations.
There is no secret ingredient

Hels147

Post by Hels147 » 09 Aug 2017 11:25

Thanks all.
Found out we are allowed to leave the laptops at work (when I get a locker), so I just need to go shopping now. :D

Fenella

Post by Fenella » 10 Aug 2017 20:13

Lucky you! I've just started a new job in coventry 25 miles away. They've given us two laptops and said we can't leave them at the office because we won't be able to work if the building burns down....