Belgium campsite and accommodation recommendations

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

Tim

Belgium campsite and accommodation recommendations

Post by Tim » 21 Oct 2017 11:40

Anyone got any good campsite or cheap accommodation recommendations to looking to do a tour of Flanders or Paris Roubaix trip? Will have a car and two bikes.
Somewhere West Flanders around Oudenaarde, Kortrijk etc although any others near Ypres, Roubaix, Ghent may be useful too.

Thanks
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

jdtate101

Re: Belgium campsite and accommodation recommendations

Post by jdtate101 » 23 Oct 2017 11:08

Nick Shenton and I have stayed here when we did flanders...it's just outside Oudenaarde.

http://www.vakantiehuismeerse.be/en_studios.php

It's pretty nice and not expensive, plus the owners make a wicked local brew beer...

Tim

Post by Tim » 23 Oct 2017 22:15

Thanks, really helpful, looks ideal.

Like the description: 'at the foot of the Koppenberg and the Patersberg' :D
Please like and follow Beacon Cycling Academy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beacon-C ... 6499863667

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 24 Oct 2017 00:02

No particular recommendations Tim, but do make sure you take the kids to see some art whilst you are there. Both Gent (not Ghent its Flanders not France) and Brugge are absolutely fabulous places and the real cradles of European art whatever Florence may claim. Brugge is also a great example of a city where people on foot and bikes are put first. Gent is good on a bike although the tram lines everywhere can be a bit tricky ......

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 24 Oct 2017 10:04

It's Gand in French, Pete. :) I would avoid camping at all costs at that time of year in Belgium.

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 24 Oct 2017 11:31

Where does that H come from then Laurence? Is it another pretentious English addition like the spelling of the Isle of Rum as Rhum or calling Snowden" Mount" Snowden or worst of all the Tour"de" Yorkshire?

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 24 Oct 2017 12:11

Not sure - maybe it's an attempt to mimic the local pronunciation, although that would probably require removal of the G. The real mystery is why we call Brugge Bruges, but Zeebrugge stays as Zeebrugge and not, as my Belgian ex once presumed we do, Sea Bruges. :lol:

petemarshall

Post by petemarshall » 24 Oct 2017 13:58

I had always assumed it was the tradition that goes all the way back to the Normans of frenchifing things to sound posh. Dutch is just about the least frenchified of all European languages and makes everything sound delightfully"working class".I have listened in raptures to descriptions of the Gent alter piece in Dutch, where one of the most beautiful objects ever created sounds like a tuberculosis victim about to receive the last rights😁 . I am sure it's down to this language that posh people prefer Florence to Brugge and nothing to do with the weather, food or wine😇

Les Ladbury

Post by Les Ladbury » 24 Oct 2017 18:46

the last rights😁 ................last rites surely. ( At my age one gets rather pedantic about such things)

I can recommend a camp site at Baale Nassau.

I clearly remember staying there, well fairly clearly due to the large quantity of genever consumed. It was in 1969.
Les