Closed Road Time Trial, 28th May, the NEC

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

IanT

Closed Road Time Trial, 28th May, the NEC

Post by IanT » 27 Mar 2021 14:46

Come and ride a closed roads time trial at the NEC on 28th May!

As part of my fundraising activity for https://www.thetour21.co.uk/ the Beacon RCC is promoting a time trial at the NEC on the 28th May and I can promise you it’s going to be a little bit different. There’s no windswept dual carriage way to slog up and down. There won’t be a dilapidated village hall to sign on at and you won’t need to worry about traffic whizzing past you on course. You won’t need to park in a muddy field. And you definitely won’t need to have a pre-race, ahem, comfort break, in a hedge because there will be actual proper facilities!

On the 28th May 2021, you have the chance to experience time trialling as it should be:

• 10 mile closed roads circuit.
• Digital timing.
• Road bike category.
• Loads of car parking.
• Great catering.
• Amazing prizes - from Aerocoach, Huub and many others!

Did I mention the closed roads? I should also mention that the course is entirely flat. What’s not to like?

This event is raising money for http://cureleukaemia.co.uk/ and every penny from entry fees, sponsorship or donations will be spent on bringing pioneering drug and transplant treatments to blood cancer patients across the UK.

You can register via https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-details/22884 and it would be great to see loads of Beacon RCC colours at this event. If you’re not able to ride on 28th May but want to help the cause, you can donate via https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/geoff-GT15 or if you're able to volunteer to help during the event that would of course be an enormous help.

I hope to see you all at the NEC on 28th May!

Cheers - Ian

Ed Moss

Re: Closed Road Time Trial, 28th May, the NEC

Post by Ed Moss » 28 Mar 2021 10:59

Looks interesting Ian.
Is the course a few laps up and down the NEC roads?

Rod Goodfellow
Location: Cranage,Holmes Chapel,Cheshire,UK or Lake Wales,Florida

Post by Rod Goodfellow » 28 Mar 2021 14:19

£35 for a 10! :roll:

IanT

Post by IanT » 28 Mar 2021 18:39

Ed Moss wrote:
28 Mar 2021 10:59
Looks interesting Ian.
Is the course a few laps up and down the NEC roads?
It's 2 laps of a a 5 mile circuit, the course map should be up on the CTT website within the next couple of days.

IanT

Post by IanT » 28 Mar 2021 18:41

Rod Goodfellow wrote:
28 Mar 2021 14:19
£35 for a 10! :roll:
Well, it's all for a very good cause but if you're concerned about value for money, feel free to turn up a couple of hours early and you can ride as many laps as you want :wink:

Matt Hale

Post by Matt Hale » 28 Mar 2021 19:21

Hi Ian - looks great.

What % goes to the charity/your fundraising? I've been meaning/waiting to make a donation and be good to know what the split is. This looks like a good way to enter an event and make a donation in one.

Is the entry the same price for juniors/juveniles?

neilo

Post by neilo » 28 Mar 2021 19:35

Is this an evening or daytime event Ian?

IanT

Post by IanT » 28 Mar 2021 22:03

Matt Hale wrote:
28 Mar 2021 19:21
Hi Ian - looks great.

What % goes to the charity/your fundraising? I've been meaning/waiting to make a donation and be good to know what the split is. This looks like a good way to enter an event and make a donation in one.

Is the entry the same price for juniors/juveniles?
Other than £5 that has to go to CTT as the levy, the remainder of the entry fee goes to the charity - so effectively a £30 donation per entry. There are some running costs but we've been able to cover those from a little bit of sponsorship and people volunteering their time. The entry price is the same for each category.

Hope to see you there!

IanT

Post by IanT » 28 Mar 2021 22:05

neilo wrote:
28 Mar 2021 19:35
Is this an evening or daytime event Ian?
It's an evening event Neil, first rider off at 1900hrs.

George

Post by George » 29 Mar 2021 21:32

Sounds great, Ian. I plan to make this the MKM's annual outing... just slightly concerned that I might not get in ('vintage' 10s being the only ones on my entry form).

IanT

Post by IanT » 30 Mar 2021 15:50

George wrote:
29 Mar 2021 21:32
Sounds great, Ian. I plan to make this the MKM's annual outing... just slightly concerned that I might not get in ('vintage' 10s being the only ones on my entry form).
You'd be very welcome George, even if you're the only one in the vintage category (meaning the bike, not you of course!)

IanT

Post by IanT » 30 Apr 2021 08:51

Latest update

Thanks to everyone that's entered the TT so far, I’m pleased to say numbers are looking good but we’d love to see even more entries, so if you haven’t yet entered please make sure you do so before the deadline of 14th May.

There’s plenty of parking right next to the sign on desk and the course will be open between 5.30pm to 6.45pm so riders can get used to it whilst having a warm up. There’ll also be warm up area next to the car park.

I’d like to ask for volunteers to assist with the usual jobs – sign-on, course marshalling etc so if anyone can give up a few hours please let me know on this thread, on DM or via Gemma on social media.

In other news, the Tour21 team have launched our latest fund raising initiative, a raffle of cycling goodies, with some truly fantastic prizes – take a look here https://fundraising.thetour21.co.uk/buynow/raffle and once again all funds raised will go directly to Cure Leukaemia.

And finally, we're still on track to ride the route of the Tour de France 2021 one week in advance, COVID-19 permitting. Today marks the start of our 50 day count down and our fundraising has just gone through the £600k mark.

Thanks to everyone in the Beacon RCC for your help, support and kind wishes, it’s hugely appreciated and makes a massive difference.

Ian Taylor

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 24 May 2021 12:04

Just to confirm that I'm available to help out on Friday, Ian.

IanT

Post by IanT » 24 May 2021 17:07

Excellent, thanks Laurence.

By way of update, we now have over 100 riders for the TT event. I'd like to thank everyone in the Beacon RCC for the support of this event, we have a really strong turn out of riders and numerous other people helping/supportng in other ways, all of which is hugely appreciated.

We could still do with a few additional marshals, so if you are able to help, please let me know on this thread. We will be briefing marshals at 6pm on Friday evening in NEC East 4 Car Park but don't worry too much if you can't there for bang on 6pm - I appreciate work/Friday evening traffic etc might create a challenge for some people!

Thanks - Ian

Mark_R

Post by Mark_R » 25 May 2021 09:45

Hi Ian

Happy to marshal.

Mark

IanT

Post by IanT » 29 May 2021 14:26

A short note to say thank you to everyone that supported the Time Trial event last night. I'm very grateful to everyone that gave up their time to come along and marshal and support the event, it wouldn't have happened without you. Likewise, thank you to to everyone that entered and rode the event, there was a strong Beacon turnout and some amazing times and performances.

I'm pleased to say that in total the day raised c £11k for Cure Leukaemia and the TT event was responsible for nearly £3k of that sum, so a great result all round.

Ian

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 31 May 2021 10:04

Great work, Ian. Links to the results and some photos are now available at http://beaconrcc.org.uk/racing/nec-clos ... pen-10-tt/.