Beacon 75th anniversary

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

Rod Goodfellow
Location: Cranage,Holmes Chapel,Cheshire,UK or Lake Wales,Florida

Beacon 75th anniversary

Post by Rod Goodfellow » 22 Apr 2021 09:14

It is on Wednesday November 10th this year. Is anything being done to celebrate this milestone? A nostalgic club run for geriatric (ex)members? I don't suppose Mrs Beddalls at Clent is still serving teas :roll:

George

Re: Beacon 75th anniversary

Post by George » 26 Apr 2021 12:17

Rod, there are certainly plans for doing something special at the dinner, which is currently scheduled for a date close to the anniversary (Saturday 27 November). I really hope that you can be there. However, there are not currently any plans for the day itself. That's not to say that plans can't be made, though. Is that something you fancy organising yourself, or would you prefer the Committee/Club Run Sec to suggest something? Are you not going to be in Florida at that time of year?

Rod Goodfellow
Location: Cranage,Holmes Chapel,Cheshire,UK or Lake Wales,Florida

Post by Rod Goodfellow » 26 Apr 2021 18:12

I usually go to Florida for 6 weeks around Nov 5th,but no plans this year yet.I am also moving house from Blackburn to near Holmes Chapel, Cheshire sometime in the summer. As it is now 45 years since I left the Beacon for Blackburn I am no longer familiar with roads,traffic and cafes etc in Beacon country so I don't think it a good idea for me to try organising activities, which I would support if possible. I'll keep a watch on this topic and respond as appropriate.

George

Post by George » 26 Apr 2021 21:12

Thanks, Rod. I think next step is to bounce the idea around in Committee. Watch this space!

neilo

Post by neilo » 26 Apr 2021 21:26

The dinner is on the 20th November George.

George

Post by George » 27 Apr 2021 14:15

Oh, fiddlesticks.

Has it been moved, or have I simply screwed up with my diary management?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 27 Apr 2021 14:18

Rod Goodfellow wrote:
22 Apr 2021 09:14
It is on Wednesday November 10th this year. Is anything being done to celebrate this milestone? A nostalgic club run for geriatric (ex)members? I don't suppose Mrs Beddalls at Clent is still serving teas :roll:
Beddalls is long closed but the building is still adorned by an attractive CTC enamel sign. Dolly Hodgett's is Belbroughton is also long closed.

Otherwise the nearest alternative to Mrs Beddalls is the Deli and Cafe at Belbroughton, and is very popular with cyclists and walkers. It would be a great venue for a reunion/geriatric ride providing you don't mind the limited outdoor seating.

laurence_cooley

Post by laurence_cooley » 27 Apr 2021 14:41

There are also plans for an anniversary Weston run. I fear I may have left it a bit late to start training for that, but I have vague plans for a feature on the website, using some digitised archive materials. It would also be good to speak to some older or former members to get some memories of the earlier years of the club to include.

It would also be good if we could organise a big group photo to mark the occasion, maybe with people wearing different generations of club kit. Sort of like this, but with more people in it (and hopefully a bit more diverse!):

Last edited by laurence_cooley on 29 Apr 2021 09:31, edited 1 time in total.

neilo

Post by neilo » 27 Apr 2021 16:55

Great idea Laurence, would look brilliant!

George

Post by George » 29 Apr 2021 09:20

Yes, some archive material on the website and a group photo are both excellent ideas. (Although it would be good if by the time we do the photo we don't have to stand two metres apart.) It will tie in nicely with other plans in the offing -- the material might overlap a bit, but that doesn't have to detract from either project.

George

Post by George » 29 Apr 2021 09:24

NB: The Annual Dinner will now be on Saturday 13 November.

It was discovered a couple of days ago that several key individuals were double-booked on the 20th. And, since the discovery was made shortly after Rod had got us all to focus specifically on the 10th, the committee decided it would be great to have the dinner on the Saturday closest to the day that the club was actually founded.