Tour 21 - riding the route of the Tour de France 2021 - UPDATE

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

IanT

Tour 21 - riding the route of the Tour de France 2021 - UPDATE

Post by IanT » 12 Jun 2021 16:05

Tour 21 – it’s on!

After a challenging few weeks trying to interpret travel restrictions, COVID requirements, border controls, UK restrictions, French restrictions, bio-secure bubbles and goodness knows what else, I’m delighted to let you know that we depart for France on 17th June and all being well, I expect to roll out of Brest on 19th June on Stage 1 of the Tour de France route, with 3383km and c. 40,000m of climbing ahead of us.

With 18 riders, we have a slightly reduced team but the good news is we’ve now raised over £750,000 of our £1m target for Cure Leukaemia!

For my part, I’m hoping that my tactic of riding out to time trials, racing flat out and then riding home has sharpened my fitness in recent weeks and I’m as ready as I’ll ever be.

The fundraising continues and the charity has launched its Tour 21 Strava Challenge, in which anyone can join and ride 248km, the length of the longest stage on this year’s route. Check it out on the link below, there’s some great prizes to win if you’re able to help raise funds..

https://strava.app.link/NvWt9hHWRgb

I’ll be posting every stage on my Strava feed so do give me a follow if you want to track our progress. And if anyone would like to donate directly, you can do so here https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/geoff-GT15

Thanks to everyone for the messages, donations and best wishes, it’s been amazing to have such wonderful support from the fabulous Beacon Roads Cycling Club!!

George

Re: Tour 21 - riding the route of the Tour de France 2021 - UPDATE

Post by George » 13 Jun 2021 22:27

Best of luck, Ian!

WorcsPhil

Re: Tour 21 - riding the route of the Tour de France 2021 - UPDATE

Post by WorcsPhil » 14 Jun 2021 10:14

yes, best of luck with this, Ian...great that you've finally got yourself on Strava, and we'll be following your progress with great interest.

...oh and huge congratulations to Geoff Thomas for his MBE in the Queen's Honours list last week, very well deserved!