Emergency Blankets when cycling.

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

Philip Whiteman

Emergency Blankets when cycling.

Post by Philip Whiteman » 20 Dec 2021 11:36

Yesterday I was involved in a crash. Whilst cut up and bruised, I was able to remain mobile and relatively warm unlike a fellow rider. She was laid out on the ground with a suspected pelvic injury.

Conditions were cold and foggy. The risk of hypothermia was considerable. That morning I had fortunately decided to carry an emergency blanket just in case. We also obtained hot drinks from a nearby farmhouse. This staved off the worst of the cold until she was rescued.

If I walk into the mountains, I always carry emergency gear in case of injury or becoming benighted. Therefore, it has always struck me that cyclists are nuts for riding in cold conditions without any means of keeping warm in case of emergency. Having suffered hypothermia on two occasions, it is not nice and not always immediately obvious.

Equally, I recall a Sunrise and Snowdrop Express Audax a few years ago, when a number of riders returned to HQ with identifiable hypothermia caused by a massive drop in temperatures. It demonstrated the high risk of riding without adequate clothing or protective equipment. In that instance, I was able to seat them close to heaters and ply them with luke warm sugary drinks to aid recovery.

Please, please consider purchasing a blanket and make sure you carry it. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Emergency-Ther ... 179&sr=8-7

WorcsPhil

Re: Emergency Blankets when cycling.

Post by WorcsPhil » 20 Dec 2021 14:15

So sorry to hear about your crash and the injuries of your fellow rider...and excellent advice on carrying an emergency blanket. I'll publicise this further.

Hope you get well soon!

George

Post by George » 21 Dec 2021 12:54

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Phil.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 21 Dec 2021 14:42

Good advice Phil. Sorry to hear about the crash best wishes for a speedy recovery over Xmas

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 29 Nov 2022 17:31

This is a bump to the thread.

I would like to remind all cyclists of the risks from hypothermia when riding in winter and low temperatures. Cyclists who are forced to stop by accident or by a serious mechanical problem are at the greatest risk. Silver foil blankets are cheap and easily obtainable and great to have in an emergency.

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 03 Dec 2022 16:16

Good advice Phil. The other club I ride with reminds everyone to carry an emergency blanket in the winter. Hope you feel better soon
Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Kay

Post by Kay » 10 Jul 2023 06:55

Some winter mountain biking events (Cannock chase I think) insist on a space blanket bivi bag you can get inside.
I bought them for my daughter who commutes by bike and treated myself to a couple.
About £5 for one or £2 each if you buy a few.