LEL Call for volunteers

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

Simon Woodward

LEL Call for volunteers

Post by Simon Woodward » 14 Mar 2022 16:06

London Edinburgh London Audax have put out a request for volunteers

As I volunteered for the last running of the event, I thought I'd tell you a little of my experiences.

You can see details of what LEL is all about here - https://londonedinburghlondon.com/

I first heard about LEL in 2016 and initially considered riding but then decided to volunteer so I could understand what the event was all about. The event lasts for 5 days and as there wasn't a control anywhere near Oldbury, I said I'd go anywhere. I was allocated a general helpers spot at Pocklington near York. Getting there was easy enough by train and the organisers paid for my travelling, I believe they'll pay up to £120 in costs.

The control at Pocklington was at a large school. When I arrived, I was greeted by Rachel the control organiser and she showed me to my room. All the controls have accommodation for the helpers which is separate from the riders areas. At Pocklington I had a room of my own and we also had a large communal lounge. I was also given the Rota sheet for the event which allocated the jobs required each hour for the duration. I think the longest stint I did was only about 4 hours, but of course some they were throughout the days and nights. My jobs varied but were mainly, First Aider, Car Park Attendant, Stamping Brevet Cards and allocating bed spaces to the riders. I wasn't required to get involved in the catering as that was all handled by professional caterers

I loved every minute of it, and was completely in awe of the riders mental fortitude to keep going when they were obviously completely shattered. Pocklington is a control that's visited twice, once on the way to Edinburgh and once again on the way back to London. It was great chatting to the riders on the way up and helping them with whatever they needed. When the riders were coming back through for the 2nd time there was a lot less chatting and it was about helping them to keep going. I could track the riders via a tracking app and it was great to see riders finish that I'd manage to persuade to have some food and a drink and keep going.

I don't believe that anyone from Beacon has ever completed this event though a few have previously entered. In 2022 there are around 10 Beacon members signed up so, fingers crossed we might get a finisher this year.

If anyone's contemplating volunteering, you can register at https://londonedinburghlondon.com/volunteer
If you aren't sure and have questions, please message me or message the volunteer co-ordinator Olaf at volunteer@londonedinburghlondon.com

Maybe it'll be you that persuades me to keep going.

Cheers

Simon

PaulB

Re: LEL Call for volunteers

Post by PaulB » 14 Mar 2022 17:50

Hi

As i will be retired from July i thought, what the hell, and just volunteered :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thank You

Paul B

Simon Woodward

Post by Simon Woodward » 14 Mar 2022 17:52

PaulB wrote:
14 Mar 2022 17:50
Hi

As i will be retired from July i thought, what the hell, and just volunteered :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's brilliant Paul - let us know where you'll be based.

PaulB

Post by PaulB » 14 Mar 2022 21:47

will do
Thank You

Paul B

Fenella

Post by Fenella » 15 Mar 2022 17:01

I'm down for St Ives (not the St Ives in Cornwall I hope)

Simon Woodward

Post by Simon Woodward » 15 Mar 2022 17:28

Fenella wrote:
15 Mar 2022 17:01
I'm down for St Ives (not the St Ives in Cornwall I hope)
Wonderful.
If we end up in Cornwall, we'll have taken a wrong left turn somewhere.

PaulB

Post by PaulB » 15 Mar 2022 21:44

Hi

I am at Northallerton, lovely part of the world, from Sunday 7th Aug to Tuesday 9th August, and we can ride 30kms to Hemsley and 30km back of the route the Sunday afternoon before all the riders appear
Thank You

Paul B

WorcsPhil

Post by WorcsPhil » 20 Mar 2022 21:32

Excellent post, Si...and simply great that Fenella and Paul are volunteering...

There should be half a dozen or so Beacon riders, but we'll let you know exactly who in the roll call later in the Spring. It'll be great to see friendly faces at St Ives and Pocklington on this event!

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 21 Mar 2022 20:43

I have volunteered twice for the other LEL production, the Windsor Chester Windsor, running the controls. I am not sure what was harder, volunteering or riding the damn thing. I suspect it was the former as it was almost impossible to find time to sleep properly with the preparation of the hall and sleeping facilities, only to be followed by acting as host for the constant flow of riders coming through the door expecting food and a bed. Great fun but it takes days to recover.