Bike Insurance

Chat about anything in here

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, George, Dave Cox

David Stephenson

Bike Insurance

Post by David Stephenson » 12 Apr 2022 07:43

I am renewing my house insurance which includes our bikes. The quote is much higher than last year so considering stand alone cycle insurance.Any recommendations? I am currently looking at Pedalcover. Thank you.

George

Re: Bike Insurance

Post by George » 14 Apr 2022 14:23

David, it's several years since I last made a detailed comparison. So possibly my experiences are no longer valid... but here goes anyway.

I've looked into separate insurance v. home insurance a number of times in the past, and always came to the conclusion that putting your bikes on your home policy is *much* cheaper... *unless* you want cover outside the home as well. However, different home insurers price up the add-on in radically different ways, so it's definitely worth shopping around by putting your details into a couple of price comparison sites. Another pitfall I've almost fallen into in the past is that some home insurers don't recognise any kind of separate structure (garage/shed/bike container) as part of your house. Bikes in such structures are therefore excluded from cover, so it pays to read the small print.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 14 Apr 2022 18:49

Mine are on the M and S home insurance and it's good value. But they have a £3000 limit. I've never found separate insurance worthwhile even when promoted by CUK. The stipulations re locks etc when out riding mean that you'll only ever be covered for a commuter bike with at least one D lock.

David Stephenson

Post by David Stephenson » 15 Apr 2022 08:40

Thank You both. Having got a number of quotes I have gone with including the bikes in our house insurance…

Kyle

Post by Kyle » 21 Apr 2022 10:45

Hello David. I cannot add anything to your consideration of cover in the case of theft of your bike, whether from home or away from it. What I can do is wholeheartedly endorse Laka if you want cover the extends to damage to equipment or kit. I decided to swallow the cost of cover when I started racing and having had cause to claim on a number of occasions I am repeatedly blown away by the support and outcome. Cover for bike plus shoes, helmet and clothing isn't cheap but has paid for itself multiple times over... and having hit the deck just this week it's nice to only have to worry about whether or not I can move all limbs and digits, and not my poor bike!

Possibly not of relevance for yourself but may be of interest to others.
Kyle

Lewis

Post by Lewis » 23 Apr 2022 12:17

+1 for Laka https://laka.co/gb

Alberto Recchioni

Post by Alberto Recchioni » 24 Apr 2022 21:49

Laka is fabolous and prices are customized around your gears.
I have managed very well a couple of claims since joined.

If someone in need:

GIVE £25, GET £35
Heading out for a ride this long weekend? Don't forget to share your referral link with your friends and tell them what you like most about Laka. When they sign up and activate their cover, both of you get £25 credit (and an extra £10 for you for the month of April)

Share your referral page:
my.laka.co/TX3AN
or your code:
TX3AN

Thanks

David Stephenson

Post by David Stephenson » 25 Apr 2022 07:50

Thanks all