Garmin Touring routing alert problems

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Phil_Elwell

Garmin Touring routing alert problems

Post by Phil_Elwell » 11 Jun 2018 08:53

My Garmin Touring is playing up - for some reason, it no longer prompts the route and turnings of a GPS route via audio and on-screen. All I get is 'Head South' instructions on-screen or 'Head South-West' which is next to no good.

Previous to this, it was providing audio and on-screen route prompts as normal. I haven't changed any of the settings - anyone know what the problem might be?

George

Re: Garmin Touring routing alert problems

Post by George » 11 Jun 2018 13:10

Phil, although I have the same model, I don't have an explanation as such. However, I would recommend that you do go back to your 'unchanged' settings and set them all over again, because on my Touring and on an earlier Garmin, I have once or twice experienced the phenomenon of all the settings being 'forgotten' by the device for no obvious reason. On mine, the various fields on the display reverted to their default status (e.g. displaying current speed where I had set it to display time of day, etc). I had a hunch that it was related to adding/removing files, but I was unable to confirm that. Maybe I had accidentally pressed some 'reset' button combination, or maybe the firmware has a glitch.

Andy Terry

Re: Garmin Touring routing alert problems

Post by Andy Terry » 14 Jun 2018 12:46

Maybe use a breadcrumb trail instead of turn-by-turn navigation. Then you are not reliant on the routing algorithms, or other quirky software 'features'.