Gear set-up

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Bagbear

Gear set-up

Post by Bagbear » 31 Oct 2008 17:29

I was given this easy step by step guide for gear setup - After discussing this with Phil I though I would post it for anyone who doesnt already know the ins and outs.

I had tried in the past to follow the guides in books but wasnt able to get the set up spot on - Found the below guide clear and easy to follow.

Rear Gear Set-up

1) Move the chain into middle ring for a triple chainset or the inner ring for a double chainset

2) Disconnect the gear cable

3) Adjust the “H” screw so that the top jockey wheel and chain are in a straight alignment.

4) Push the rear mech over while slowly turning the pedals over to the largest sprocket, adjust the “L” screw so that the jockey wheel aligns with the chain.

5) Check the cable is inserted into all of the cable stops, there is no snagging under the frame. Check the gear leaver is in the correct position

6) Wind the barrel adjuster all the way in.

7) Connect the cable paying attention to where it is clamped. Do not pull the cable too tightly

8 Slowly turn the pedals and make ONE gear change.

9) If there is a gear change then change the gear leaver back to the starting position and slightly slacken off the tension on the cable.

10) If the gear does not move up then while turning the pedals slowly unwind the barrel adjuster until the gears change (plus ½ turn).

11) Test the range of the gears up and down. If the gears do not work the most likely cause is the position of the “H” screw. Disconnect the cable and recheck the alignment of the chain and jockey wheel (step 3)

Front Gear Set-up

1) Disconnect the cable.

2) Move the rear gears into the largest sprocket.

3) Adjust the “L” screw until the inner plate of the front mech no longer rubs against the chain while turning the pedals.

4) Move the barrel adjuster to a central position.

5) Connect the cable, there should be no slack.

6) Move the rear gears into the smallest sprocket.

7) Pull the cable by hand (turning the pedals) shifting the front mech over to the largest ring.

8 Adjust the “H” screw so the outer plate no longer scrapes against the chain when turning the pedals (release pressure on the cable before adjusting the screw).

9) Move the chain to a middle sprocket and test the gears.

10) If the chain is too slow moving from the outer to the middle ring the release some tension on the cable with the barrel adjuster.

11) If the chain is too slow moving from the middle to the smaller ring unscrew the “L” screw by ¼ turn. Test again and move the “L” screw until the change is smooth.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 31 Oct 2008 19:21

Thanks Richard.

Would you mind if I forwarded this to HubUb as a useful tip - in your name as the author, obviously.

Bagbear

Post by Bagbear » 31 Oct 2008 20:23

Fine with me. cheers