Noiseless Turbo Trainer Mat

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Si-D

Noiseless Turbo Trainer Mat

Post by Si-D » 07 Jan 2009 23:41

I live in a mid-terrace, and don't have a shed/garage, so my Turbo Trainer has to go in the front room.
The problem is the noise it produces on my wooden floor, and a not-so-friendly neighbour.

Only just started using one, and I've been searching the internet for a good shock absorbing/vibration deadening mat.
I bought an official TACX mat, but they're just too thin to deaden any noise off the machine.

I finally found this:

http://www.ceetex.co.uk/vshop/proddetai ... 126&cat=46

Not got it yet, but just thought I'd share the find here in case it's helpful to anyone else.
It's the perfect size to fit underneath my TACX mat, and is designed to absorb vibrations.
I'll drop another post in a week or so once I've given it a few test runs and let you know if it's as good as it appears.
God creates Dinosaur. God destroys Dinosaur. God creates man. Man creates Dinosaur. Dinosaur destroys man, woman inherits the earth.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 08 Jan 2009 09:00

The only thing I can suggest, which is probably cheaper than a Tacx mat, go to a carpet shop and buy an off cut. The pile should not be too thick in case the trainer wobbles.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 08 Jan 2009 10:15

Is that like when your spinning bike wobbles on the hard floor at Tiverton Phil? I'm convinced one day you'll lift the back so far you'll end up in a face plant with the bike on top of you :wink:
Eat cake before you're hungry

George

Post by George » 08 Jan 2009 12:47

The (expensive) real solution may be another turbo. The fluid ones are much quieter than the magnetic ones, I understand.

I used to live in a block of flats. There, we had concrete floors, but still the noise disturbed the neighbours. They were quite friendly about it, at least: asked politely whether our washing machine was malfunctioning.

Albert Cox

Post by Albert Cox » 08 Jan 2009 18:57

George,
No doubt your neighbours thought that your riding simulated the final 1200 RPM spinning phase ......not I am sure, the belabored first wash thud/thud cycle!...Never, never, and Heaven forbid.
ALC