Tub Suggestions

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Stats

Tub Suggestions

Post by Stats » 11 Jan 2009 05:06

I have just ordered my new TT Frame for this year and am doing a few upgrades.I was looking at buying some slightly better tubs I have been using Vittoria Corsa CR's for the past couple of years and I have been very happy with them I fancy a change so I'm looking for something that may be a little quicker any suggestions apart from pedal faster/train harder

Post moved from racing

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 11 Jan 2009 15:34

Without question Veloflex record for the front and if you've got the bottle on on the back a well. I use a Veloflex carbon on the rear just for a bit more comfort, traction and **flat** protection.

what new bike have you got?

Stats

Post by Stats » 11 Jan 2009 16:28

Ed Moss wrote:Without question Veloflex record for the front and if you've got the bottle on on the back a well. I use a Veloflex carbon on the rear just for a bit more comfort, traction and **flat** protection.

what new bike have you got?
Nosey wait and see :lol: no but seriously I ordered this in the Sale was going to buy the 08 version but I found this to hard to resist 8)
http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/images/prod ... /17418.jpg

It had 15% off

What's wrong with the tubs no tread I used to use Conti Podiums they were bald very scary to ride in the wet

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 11 Jan 2009 17:46

Blimey it's one of those you either love or hate.... :wink:

Stats

Post by Stats » 11 Jan 2009 18:47

Ed Moss wrote:Blimey it's one of those you either love or hate.... :wink:
I did ponder about it for a while I was also looking at a Cervelo P3C I missed a sale when I could of got 1 for £1500 but with the bad weather and a bit of thought the extra £500 I am saving can buy some extra nice bits better tubs etc I might even start to go a bit quicker again.Have you noticed any better power output or that you have become noticeably quicker since changing to a Carbon Monocoque if so by how much
This frame supposedly will have better power transfer & pedalling efficiency so theorhetically if I get as fit as I was a couple of years ago I should be faster 8)

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 11 Jan 2009 21:08

Not sure on the power figures but I've only ever raced on carbon frames, think a lot of it is in the head.

Best upgrade I've noticed (on my road bike) is a decent set of race wheels and going to 10 speed, didn't think it would make that much difference but everything felt stiffer.

Stats

Post by Stats » 11 Jan 2009 21:18

Ed Moss wrote:Not sure on the power figures but I've only ever raced on carbon frames, think a lot of it is in the head.

Best upgrade I've noticed (on my road bike) is a decent set of race wheels and going to 10 speed, didn't think it would make that much difference but everything felt stiffer.
Like you say Ed a lot may be in the head best thing I can do is get my position right 8) :lol: Going out on the road might also help :lol:

Gary Mason

Post by Gary Mason » 12 Jan 2009 10:50

I switched a couple of years ago from Conti Podiums to Velofex Record. The Records are certainly lighter and more supple but were hard to source and very expensive. I don't share Ed's concern about using Records on the rear as the comfort and grip have so far been excellent.

George

Post by George » 12 Jan 2009 11:54

Are you sure that frame is carbon, Brian? It looks as though it's been made by squeezing and tying balloons.

Seriously, though: best of luck on it in the forthcoming season!

Stats

Post by Stats » 12 Jan 2009 12:12

Gary Mason wrote:I switched a couple of years ago from Conti Podiums to Velofex Record. The Records are certainly lighter and more supple but were hard to source and very expensive. I don't share Ed's concern about using Records on the rear as the comfort and grip have so far been excellent.
How do you get on using latex tubes on the longer events do you notice much air loss on the 12 hour :?:

Gary Mason

Post by Gary Mason » 12 Jan 2009 12:37

Ah, does that mean you're up for a 12 this year Brian :)

I've completed the last two 12s on the Records and haven't noticed any pressure loss. I doubt you'd lose more than a few PSI over a 12 hr period.

Stats

Post by Stats » 12 Jan 2009 13:32

Gary Mason wrote:Ah, does that mean you're up for a 12 this year Brian :)

I've completed the last two 12s on the Records and haven't noticed any pressure loss. I doubt you'd lose more than a few PSI over a 12 hr period.
I have been planning to ride the longer events again for a few years but things have got in the way lack of fitness not enough time on the road etc but my PB times were never very good so I want to beat them I bettered all my shorter distance ones so a better 100 & 12 hour are targets sooner rather than later i've turned 50 now :lol:

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 13 Jan 2009 20:14

And of course there are always Dugast if you are posh and have £90 to spend....

Stats

Post by Stats » 14 Jan 2009 18:50

My new frame has arrived looks very nice it won't look quite as nice with me on it :lol:

Stats

Post by Stats » 28 Jan 2009 12:58

Hope to be testing the new bike the end of next week it is now being assembled by Gavin & Ross at Speeds decided to go for Vittoria Crono Evo CS Tubs looking forward to riding it with this steep seat angle 78%which might tak a while to adapt to 8)

Si-D

Post by Si-D » 30 Jan 2009 01:23

Stats wrote:Hope to be testing the new bike the end of next week it is now being assembled by Gavin & Ross at Speeds decided to go for Vittoria Crono Evo CS Tubs looking forward to riding it with this steep seat angle 78%which might tak a while to adapt to 8)
Me too! I bagged myself a Planet X off ebay last week.
It looks proper scary! I'll be needing to test it out myself too, if you fancy a bit of 2-up on the Alvechurch Bypass Brian??
God creates Dinosaur. God destroys Dinosaur. God creates man. Man creates Dinosaur. Dinosaur destroys man, woman inherits the earth.

Stats

Post by Stats » 30 Jan 2009 08:14

Si-D wrote:
Stats wrote:Hope to be testing the new bike the end of next week it is now being assembled by Gavin & Ross at Speeds decided to go for Vittoria Crono Evo CS Tubs looking forward to riding it with this steep seat angle 78%which might tak a while to adapt to 8)
Me too! I bagged myself a Planet X off ebay last week.
It looks proper scary! I'll be needing to test it out myself too, if you fancy a bit of 2-up on the Alvechurch Bypass Brian??
Hi Simon
Yes Emmerson Currell will also probably come just a case of when I get my TT bike back next week

Si-D

Post by Si-D » 30 Jan 2009 21:54

On the subject of using Tubulars - I've just realised I have absolutely NO idea how to change one!!!

My TT Bike has them, but I've never seen one until now, let alone tried replacing/fitting one!

I presume there's a special technique?
And what the chuff do you do if you **flat**?? :shock:
Are they any more **flat** proof than standard clinchers.
And finally - what's the point in them?? What advantage do they have over clinchers?

Sorry to be such a dumb-ass on the subject, but I seriously don't have the foggiest. :oops:
God creates Dinosaur. God destroys Dinosaur. God creates man. Man creates Dinosaur. Dinosaur destroys man, woman inherits the earth.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 31 Jan 2009 10:03

Fitting

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/fix/?id=tubular

I use tape (Tufo extreme) usually although the boffins at weight weenies say you do loose around 2-3W. Only use glue if you are fitting Vittorias as they are more rounded than other tubs and the tape doesn't stick at the edges.

If you flat you can either have a replacement under your saddle with a can of co2 or take the risk and get picked up by a very nice marshall.

No more flat proof than clinchers

Only Veloflex Paves come close to the ride of tubs, although the gap has narrowed in recent years there is something about the ride of tubs which clinchers just don't have, and I don't think any races have been lost because you are rising one or the other.