Shaving Legs

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Ringo

Shaving Legs

Post by Ringo » 29 Jan 2009 08:49

After a couple of seasons of looking around for the easiest and most pain free method of keeping my legs hair free thoughout the season i still haven't found anything that i am completely comfortable with. I would say i am above average when it comes to body hair, and as well as that my hair is very thick. All methods seem to have pro's but twice as many cons so i was just wondering what everyone else does? Feel free to pm me if you don't want to discuss it in the open.

I tried waxing, however this proved to painful and i'm never putting myself through that again. My hair grows quickly so it only last a couple of weeks max and then you've got to walk around with stubbly legs for a week or so while it becomes long enough to wax again before going through the whole painful bussiness again.

Shaving is pain free but very time consuming. The effect only last a couple of days and it can be quite painful walking around with stubbly legs. If you shave to soon after the last time and the hair is still too short then again it's quite painful and you end up with a horrible looking rash.

I've even considered using some kind of womens electric leg shaver however i've been informed that my hair is probably too thick for them.
Has anyone ever tried any of those veet things? Does it actually work or will my hair be too thick for it again?

cheers

Philip Whiteman

Re: Shaving Legs

Post by Philip Whiteman » 29 Jan 2009 09:30

Ringo wrote:
I've even considered using some kind of womens electric leg shaver however i've been informed that my hair is probably too thick for them.
Has anyone ever tried any of those veet things? Does it actually work or will my hair be too thick for it again?

cheers
Works for me but the batteries run out quickly. I would suggest a rechargeable. It is less messy that shaving. There again, I am not particulary hairy.

George

Re: Shaving Legs

Post by George » 30 Jan 2009 09:42

Ringo wrote:If you shave to soon after the last time and the hair is still too short then again it's quite painful and you end up with a horrible looking rash.
Shave in the bath (to soften the hair); get out, dry your legs, then smother them in Vaseline (it's the dryness of the skin caused by shaving that leads to the rash). Let the Vaseline soak in, then wipe off the excess with a damp towel.

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 30 Jan 2009 09:48

I use an old Phillishave electric razor - it has a beard trimmer, which I use to get rid of the long hairs at the start of the season, and then the rotary head cutters every couple of weeks.

Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Ringo

Post by Ringo » 30 Jan 2009 17:25

thanks guy's. i do try to moisturise my legs straight after i shave them and then every time i have a shower. but the rash seems to come from the bristles rubbing against whatever i'm wearing.

Just got myself some veet for men. hopefully it'll work against my thick hair but knowing my luck i'll just be allergic to it :roll:

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 30 Jan 2009 20:49

Ringo wrote:veet for men.
1. wear some old undies when you do it - you do NOT want that stuff going anywhere sensitive

2. trim hair down to 1/4 inch first

3. wear disposable gloves

4. follow the instructions on the tube