split tyres

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Ringo

split tyres

Post by Ringo » 19 Feb 2009 23:04

had a busy couple of days technically speaking as i've gotten my Bianchi from of the top of my wardrobe and set it up ready to start training on it in prep for my first races. this involved swapping various wheels, tyres and cassettes from my 9 speed turbo bike and winter trainer and my 10 speed racer. in the process i noticed a couple a small splits and holes in a couple of the tyres. is there any way of reparing these splits or should i just bin them and get new tyres?

cheers

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 19 Feb 2009 23:50

These are intended for emergency get you home purposes but I have a tyre with a small hole (no bigger than a mm or two) after hitting a large stone which I might try to repair with part of one. If it works I think I'd only use that tyre for local rides though.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 20 Feb 2009 08:43

bin them, and use them on the turbo, not worth a trip to hospital...

charlie

Post by charlie » 20 Feb 2009 19:13

:roll: You used to be able to get tread filler in a tube. It worked quite well. No good for tyre walls though. Don't know if it is still on sale.

Rod Goodfellow
Location: Cranage,Holmes Chapel,Cheshire,UK or Lake Wales,Florida

Post by Rod Goodfellow » 20 Feb 2009 19:54

Dunlop "Tread stopping Compound" in small tubes.Haven't seen any for 20 years.

George

Post by George » 21 Feb 2009 10:45

What do you mean by 'small splits', Adrian? If the rubber is perished and cracking then the tyres have got to go. Even if they don't blow up and land you in a ditch, the cracking is a sign that they've lost their pliability and will be crap to ride on. Similarly, if you've cut them and the cut is large enough to significantly weaken the structure of the tyre, the safety risks of carrying on with them are too great. But, if you're just talking about tiny nicks of a couple of millimetres caused by fragments of glass or grit, which aren't causing any visible deformation of the tyre or showing any canvas, I'd just leave them alone, except for checking each time you clean the bike that they haven't got worse.

Ringo

Post by Ringo » 21 Feb 2009 12:32

i think it just from over-use over the winter. i've ordered 4 more off wiggle so they should arrive on monday. hopefully they'll last me through the summer.

cheers all