Using Tri Bars

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

RichK

Using Tri Bars

Post by RichK » 29 May 2009 12:18

After a couple of aborted attempts earlier in the year, I've bolted my set of tri bars back on in the (vein?) attempt of gaining a few seconds tomorrow. 26' 18" is looking less & less likely this year (definitely won't be happening tomorrow, where anything under 30 mins will do for me).

Previously, I'd had difficulty using them as I felt particularly unbalanced & the steering was extremely twitchy - though at least two occasions were particularly windy.

Is there something I've been missing? Or is it simply a case of practice?

Ringo

Post by Ringo » 29 May 2009 14:03

and getting your position right. the mistake most people make when sticking on tri-bars is they keep their seat and handle bars in the same place. look at most tt bikes and the bars are much lower then the saddle to allow the back to be flatter and lower and the saddle is often further forward and sometimes slightly downward facing to support the position of leaning right forward.

if you simply stick on the tri-bars without adjusting the seat and bars then you won't get the most out of them as the balance of the bike will be wrong.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 29 May 2009 14:57

Without seeing you on the bike difficult to say but when I used to use clip ons I raised the seat by around 5mm and pushed it forward as far as I could.

RichK

Post by RichK » 29 May 2009 15:13

Thanks both

Ringo

Post by Ringo » 29 May 2009 15:56

try to get a pic or video of your position. most people take years perfecting their tt position. LA was always using wind tunnels to experiment and perfect his position, right up to his last tour victory. no-one gets it right first time. it's just a case of trying it, seeing how it feels and how you perform and then adjusting it. gradually you'll find a position that is both comfortable and effective.

George

Post by George » 31 May 2009 11:26

I agree with Ringo. To get the right position on tri-bars, certainly your handlebars and maybe your saddle need to be in a significantly different position to what feels right on a road bike. In fact it's often impossible to get the right position on a road bike with tri bars unless you swap the stem for a shorter one with fewer spacers or with a downward slope. If your position's wrong, you won't get as much aero benefit, you will find it harder to apply full power and the handling of the bike will be funny. All of which may mean that you actually go slower.

RichK

Post by RichK » 31 May 2009 18:47

Well, the saddle adjustments certainly made a difference & I was much more "at ease" using them. Unfortunately, it aggrevated an (old, old) problem (RSI, from too many years sat typing, in the days before wibbly wobbly ergo keyboards).

Looks like I need to try & find some where I can get my elbows further apart (inverted V shape) or stick to old skool...

Ringo

Post by Ringo » 31 May 2009 22:51

just ride with them when you go out training to get used to the position. it's an un-natural body position so it takes a while for your muscles to get used to it. the first time i rode with my straight bars i couldn't bend my wrist the next day. after a couple of times the muscles got used to it and it was more comfortable.