Another miracle cure for the saddle bag

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

CakeStop

Another miracle cure for the saddle bag

Post by CakeStop » 22 Jun 2009 17:07

I don't do headaches or pills as a rule but carry a couple of paracetamol in the saddle wedge in case a headache or something should ever threaten to spoil a long ride. Yesterday I popped them to try and help me through some bad leg pain, I think the beer at Shutford was more effective though.

At the finish I could hardly walk and after resting for half an hour I could hardly pedal home. At bedtime I climbed the stairs on all fours and this morning my attempts at walking made me look like a drunk with no control over his feet doing a slow motion walk trying to look sober.

Results of googling to figure out what the problem is also mentioned Ibuprofen for relief so I popped a couple of those and about an hour later I can walk nearly normally. So some Ibuprofen will be added to the saddle wedge alongside the kitchen sink - I know it's not a cure for the real problem but it's good to be able to walk again and they might have made the last section yesterday a bit less traumatic.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 22 Jun 2009 17:41

Glad you are walking again Steve, its a long haul back from Shutford when you are in pain. A lot of Audaxers rely on Ibuprofen I think I'll be packing them in future. My usual fix anadin extra is really only for hangovers. Hope you get completely fit again soon.

Ringo

Post by Ringo » 22 Jun 2009 23:12

i often wonder whether or not taking a pain killer before a tt would have any effect during the race? just a theory of course, i'd never actually do it.

anyone ever tried it?

Steve Halman

Post by Steve Halman » 23 Jun 2009 01:34

thank god for that steve ! I thought that I was the only one suffering after only 150km yesterday ! put it down to my age , and lack of consistency in such events . mind you I can walk normally and can even climb stairs unaided !
I clocked 95 miles which is my record in one day so far...took me 6 hours and 35 mins in the saddle mind you , but I did it ! and even went to work the next day ! lol
was thinking about doing the longer distance this year but I'm glad I didn't . that's my target for next year...to get fit enough to complete the longer distance within the alloted time !
was great to be a part of such a fantastic day though all the same !
hope to see you on a club run sometime soon !

Steve.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 23 Jun 2009 09:53

Aside from paracetamol or ibuprofen, does anyone here actually carry Sudocream with them for saddle sores?

I know that many of the 300km+ riders tend to use this stuff religiously in case of severe saddle soreness. It does not stop bruising of the bum though - only a Brookes saddle will cure that!

Mattoid

Post by Mattoid » 26 Jun 2009 08:33

Philip Whiteman wrote:does anyone here actually carry Sudocream with them for saddle sores?
I have heard this too. After suffering saddle sore for the first time on the Etape Caledonia (though i think the early rain contributed) i thought i'd best take precautions for the 200k audax. So i tried out DZNuts and had no problems. Its the first time i used such a product, so have nothing to compare it to. You just have try these things sometimes...

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 26 Jun 2009 09:05

Having recommended Ibrupofen I should point out that it's NOT a pain killer. It's a non-steroidal anti-inflamatory drug so reduces the pain by reducing the inflamation that causes it rather than simply masking the pain itself. It works by inhibiting platelet formation so it would not be a good idea to take it as a pain killer following a crash because it would make bruising worse.

I also carry a couple of piritons in case of insect sting along with insect bite patches, antiseptic wipes, gauze, plasters. I should add some Arnica pilules which are an effective herbal remedy to reduce bruising & shock after a bump but that feels like planning for a fall so I'm reluctant.

All this as well as the usual tools & spares in a small saddle wedge. No wonder I struggle going up hills and rattle on the way down.

Rod Goodfellow
Location: Cranage,Holmes Chapel,Cheshire,UK or Lake Wales,Florida

Post by Rod Goodfellow » 26 Jun 2009 17:14

Oral Piriton has a sedative effect on most people.You would be better using an antihistamine cream,or a non sedative oral antihistamine such as Loratidine.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 26 Jun 2009 19:16

Thanks Rod - a trusted professional opinion is most welcome in these days when unqualified internet self-diagnosis is so accessible and doctor's waiting rooms are so hazardous. Having previously not suffered from insect bites much, during the last few years I seem to have become more prone to them. I initially opted for various topical applications rather than anything oral but didn't find it was effective. Last year a small innocuous bite swelled up to the size of half an orange by the time I got home despite use of an antihistamine cream and it was only raiding the kids' piriton syrup that did the trick.

I've never noticed any drowsiness but I'll try Loratidine next time I get zapped.