New to Beacon - advice on bike buying

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Ranger

New to Beacon - advice on bike buying

Post by Ranger » 15 Aug 2009 21:52

Hello
I am new to Beacon
I am looking for some good advice before I show up at a beginners event.
I need a new touring/hybrid bike for me and want to get one of the best quality I can afford.
My budget is pretty limited...£400 tops
Ok with new or quality used
I am 6ft 4 in and 14.5 stone, so definately need it ok for larger frame!
I want the bike for road touring, canal tow paths, bit of commuting etc
I won't be going for any speed trials!
What models are quality at good value? Any recommendations? Shops/Sites to recommend?
Know any shops/people looking to sell?
Can buy straightaway and due to my job pick up from most places in England
Thanks
Steve

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 15 Aug 2009 22:50

Hi Steve & welcome.

When I first started cycling I had a similar budget and wasn't sure how my cycling interests might develop. It's difficult without a crystal ball but it's worth doing some hard thinking in this respect before you finally decide what sort of bike you need.

For instance, why canal towpaths? To begin with I enjoyed towpaths because they were traffic free and pleasant. Then winter arrived and they got too muddy and I discovered that I enjoyed riding along country lanes even more. Now, a trip along the canal is fairly rare.

Similarly, what sort road touring do you expect to do? Day rides or longer tours? What sort of distance? Will you be carrying luggage and if so how much?
Eat cake before you're hungry

pprince3145

Post by pprince3145 » 16 Aug 2009 08:20

Steve

Pop in and see me at my shop, Cult Racing Cycles or give me a bell
www.cultracing.com

We've got some Felt Hybrids you will be interested in, coming in this week. Its coming to the end of the 2009 stock so I can do you a really good deal within your budget.

I'll look after you like I do all Beacon members

Paul
07791 725467
Cult Racing...better than Rock Racing
www.cultracing.com

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 16 Aug 2009 18:09

For instance, why canal towpaths? To begin with I enjoyed towpaths because they were traffic free and pleasant. Then winter arrived and they got too muddy and I discovered that I enjoyed riding along country lanes even more. Now, a trip along the canal is fairly rare.
Hi Steve
I agree with Cakestop - a touring or audax bike is much more versatile than a hybrid bike, especially if you are considering coming out on clubruns.

Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Ranger

Cakestop, Paul & Dave -

Post by Ranger » 17 Aug 2009 20:55

Paul - yes I'll be in touch within the week - cheers
Cakestop & Dave -
Reckon I will be doing some club runs, several hours up to full day. Want the capacity for some luggage, so abit of adaptability for the bike would be important.
Canal towpaths - only in as much as I want abit of flexibility to go off tarmac if needs be. Roads are the main surface I'll be going on.
What are main difference between hybrid, touring and audax?
Given these answers, any further thoughts on where I can pick up a value bike which might suit? All comments/contacts welcomed & I'll follow them up!
Website club runs look good and I hope to be joining you for an intro run when I've got myself sorted with...a bike.
Of course I might be best to save my £ until I can budget for something more up market?
Cheers
catch up soon
Steve 8)

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 17 Aug 2009 22:05

For day rides, most of us manage with a reasonable size saddle wedge. For a bit of extra space for a day ride you could use a bar bag or for maybe an overnight stop a rear rack bag or a seatpost bag.

For all round use including touring and commuting you'll most probably want mudguards so look for a bike that has good clearance and preferably (but not essentially) mudguard fittings. Clearance is the gap between the wheel and frame / fork and it needs to be sufficient to leave a safe gap between the tyre and mudguard. If you decide you want to do a bit of touring or prolonged off-roading you'll probably want room to fit some slightly wider tyres (maybe 28mm or 32mm) so take that into account. It's ok to do short stretches off-road with 23-25mm tyres but you probably wouldn't want to do it in the wet or for more than a few miles in the dry.

For commuting round here, gearing is probably not an issue but if you want to do hilly rides and short tours with luggage look for reasonably low gearing.

Decent tough wheels would be a good idea, maybe 36 spokes on the rear.

If you can dispense with the possible requirement for wider tyres (ie forget the canal) a second hand "winter / audax" bike would probably fit the bill and leave room in the budget for future upgrade or towards another bike when you know exactly what you want. These are road bikes with drop handlebars and clearance for mudguards (so are used for winter club runs & audaxes) but typically only with 25mm tyres.
Eat cake before you're hungry

GrahamGamblin

Post by GrahamGamblin » 18 Aug 2009 13:45

Steve - you could do worse than have a look through the CTC's pages on types of bikes and riding, link here: http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3331
Graham

Ranger

Thanks

Post by Ranger » 07 Sep 2009 20:39

Thanks for the responses.
Hope to be making use of the info v soon
Steve 8)