Headset supply problems

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Hissing Sid

Headset supply problems

Post by Hissing Sid » 12 Oct 2009 10:36

The problem as I understand it is that since Greg Lemond fell out with Trek they've discontinued not just his bikes but don't stock replacement parts. I'll see is the bike shop can get an alternative but it's still not looking good for next weekend.

George

Post by George » 12 Oct 2009 10:56

Jock, I wasn't meaning to put you under pressure to stick to the arrangement for next weekend. I just thought you were getting a bum deal from the shop. Unless you have a very unusual bike, it shouldn't be much harder to find a headset that fits the frame than to find a tyre that fits your wheel rim.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 12 Oct 2009 19:50

George wrote: Unless you have a very unusual bike, it shouldn't be much harder to find a headset that fits the frame than to find a tyre that fits your wheel rim.
Not necessarily. I had a similar problem with supply when Giant changed their headsets for their early OCRs. In the end it did not matter because the bike ended up on the turbo trainer.

George

Post by George » 12 Oct 2009 23:57

Specifics, please, Phil: what about a Giant frame like your old one, or about Jock's Trek, prevents the fitting of an off-the-peg headset such as one ought to be able to buy anywhere?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 13 Oct 2009 07:57

I have split this thread to a more appropriate forum.

In answer to your question George. Some manufacturers produce headsets to a specification specifit to their bicycle rather than a version that is standard. If the bike goes out of production then it becomes more problematic to obtain the headset.

George

Post by George » 13 Oct 2009 09:13

So far as I'm aware, neither Giant nor Trek make headsets.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 13 Oct 2009 09:44

George wrote:So far as I'm aware, neither Giant nor Trek make headsets.
Perhaps they do not but the one supplied to the early OCR Compact was specifically supplied to that frame. Whether the headsets were constructed by Giant or was outsourced, I have no idea.

George

Post by George » 13 Oct 2009 12:45

Philip Whiteman wrote:
George wrote:So far as I'm aware, neither Giant nor Trek make headsets.
Perhaps they do not but the one supplied to the early OCR Compact was specifically supplied to that frame. Whether the headsets were constructed by Giant or was outsourced, I have no idea.
And what aspect of the design of that headset made it impossible to fit any other headset, Phil?

David Farley

Post by David Farley » 13 Oct 2009 15:42

As far as i know there isn't a frame manufacturer in the world who makes there own headsets. They are made independently to one of the following standards.

JIS - Japaneese Industrial Standard

ISO - International Standards Organisation

The problem with early Giant TCR's/OCR's which used threaded steerer's is they have shallow stack height's...........meaning modern Campag and Shimano headsets which are about 37.5 mm won't fit.

As they use the ISO standard......30.2 mm cups with a 26.4 mm crown race, the answer is to use an older headset such as a Tange Levin which are easily available from John Sreet Cycles in Somerset

dicvic

Post by dicvic » 13 Oct 2009 16:03

I would think TREK are using the A-HEAD system if its a modern bike.
Also if its the HIDDEN type of headset, as the name implys they are much harder to find!ho ho ho
Richard

paul

Post by paul » 13 Oct 2009 17:13

FSA, BBB, Cane Creek, M:Part, Tifosi, Ritchey, Ambrosio, Crank Brothers, Miche, Cinelli, Hope and Chris King (to name a few) all make various types of headsets. surely the LBS would be able to find several that would fit

pprince3145

Post by pprince3145 » 15 Oct 2009 08:33

pop it in! we'll sort it, if we can't you'll get a definitive answer why not rather than guessing!
Cult Racing...better than Rock Racing
www.cultracing.com

Metal Fatigue

Post by Metal Fatigue » 15 Oct 2009 10:05

Is it just the bearings that need replacing ?

Most modern headsets wether of the a-head type or hidden type use cartridge bearings. Go to one of the many bearings suppliers in the midlands and they will more than likely be able to offer a replacement and at a cheaper cost than replacing the whole headset.

I did this with my Principia when the lower bearing of the headset started to feel pretty rough. Principia use a non standard 1 1/4 inch lower steerer size making a full replacement of the headset costly and also hard to get. But a local bearing company ordered a replacement bearing for just a few quid.

Just be careful to note how all the bits of the headset fit together and gently ease the bearings out of the cups with a flat blade screw driver.