Look Classic Pedals

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Neil Compton

Look Classic Pedals

Post by Neil Compton » 28 Oct 2009 09:38

I was riding to work yesterday and after a while noticed i couldn't clip my left foot into the pedal.
I thought it was probably just the cleat but when i got home and had a closer look at the pedal i could see that the pin on the outer side had come out so the pedal wasn't being held together properly hense why i couldn't clip the cleat in.

My question is can i get a replacement pin or am i going to have to buy new pedals?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 28 Oct 2009 09:49

Have you tried Ebay?

I would not trust the following item off ebay for use as a pedal but you could rob the part.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Look-Pedals_W0QQi ... 45eee97e0e

However, as a victim of two pedals that have snapped, I reckon there comes a time to replace them whether they are 'working' or not. You'd probably be better off buying a pair. Wiggle seem to sell some cheapish pedals, albeit not Look. Alister or Paul may have something too.

George

Post by George » 28 Oct 2009 10:13

I'd be surprised if you could buy spare pins easily; there's no economic incentive for retailers to stock that kind of item. However, if you can get hold of an old pair free/very cheap, it might be worth trying a bit of cannibalisation. If that's not possible, I'd be inclined to replace them, Neil, because a pin working loose is likely to be just one symptom of general deterioration.

If, you have several bikes, pedal replacement can be a real pain. Going from classic Look Delta to modern Look Keo (or anything else for that matter) means new shoe plates ... which either means replacing the pedals on all your bikes or having dedicated shoes for each bike. Faced with precisely this problem a while back, I bought some BBB pedals, which accept a Look Delta plate.

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 28 Oct 2009 11:26

Aye i need to stick with the same pedals as i have (Look) on my Trek as well. It's a shame to have to buy new pedals when these still appear to be in good condition other than the pin coming out which has rendered the pedal useless. Although your right it could be general deterioration.

The classics seem to have gone up in price as well.

pprince3145

Post by pprince3145 » 28 Oct 2009 21:24

how long you had them?
Cult Racing...better than Rock Racing
www.cultracing.com

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 29 Oct 2009 07:30

Off topic a little but I have just replaced my old style Look pedals for the Keo version.

I was hoping that over time Look would have sorted out the age old problems with the creaking shoe plates.

At first I thought they had, but a few weeks on and they creak just as bad as the old ones did, if not worse. :twisted:

Thank heavens for Mr Sheen..... :roll:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 29 Oct 2009 08:07

They still haven't fixed it? One of the reasons I ditched the looks and went with Shimano SL.

John Sanderson

Post by John Sanderson » 29 Oct 2009 08:21

i've got the same sort of problem - a pair of perfectly good Look Delat pedals - loads of sets of cleats so I can carry on using them for a good long while. And a new bike - which I could only get Keo pedals for.

I've decided to go for a new pair of shoes for the new bike - when the Deltas finally give up the ghost (which I suspect will be a good couple of years at least) i'll switch so both sets of shoes have Keo cleats.
It's all about the bike.

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 29 Oct 2009 08:53

Tony Le Mesmer wrote:how long you had them?
I think it's about 2 1/2 years now but i swap between two bikes so they havn't been ridden on continuously during that time period. They will have done a few miles though.

Have you any Look pedals in Paul.?

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 29 Oct 2009 08:55

Oh regarding the creaking. I've never had any problems there. Any creaking ive had has been from my shoes.

George

Post by George » 29 Oct 2009 09:58

Neil Compton wrote:Oh regarding the creaking. I've never had any problems there. Any creaking ive had has been from my shoes.
My suspicion has always been that the creaking didn't come from either the shoe or the pedal in its own right, but from movement/friction between the two. This is based on the fact that I get creak with one combination, but the same shoes don't creak with different pedals, and the same pedals don't creak with different shoes ... at least not until they sort of wear to match.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 30 Oct 2009 07:03

George wrote:
Neil Compton wrote:Oh regarding the creaking. I've never had any problems there. Any creaking ive had has been from my shoes.
My suspicion has always been that the creaking didn't come from either the shoe or the pedal in its own right, but from movement/friction between the two.
I agree, its clearly a tolerance issue between the two moving parts.

But what does really confuse me though, and using the same pedal/shoe combination, one day I can go out with no problems, quiet as a church mouse.

But the next day it can be the complete opposite, creaking, squeaking, groaning, to the point where I could chuck the dam bike in the hedge?

Of course it always worst when under heavy load, ie climbing or pushing a large gear.

I have recently read a review on BikeRader for the new Keo II pedals, and they report the problem to still be in evidence. :x

linky

Shame
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

spider

Look pedals

Post by spider » 27 Dec 2009 18:19

Neil's problem is not uncommon and can be squarely blamed on poor quality manufacture. However the missing pin is a standard roll pin and can probably be obtained from any good engineers merchant. Birmingham used to be full of such places, but Mrs Thatcher put paid to that. John Hitchcock probably knows where the survivers are to be found