Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

CakeStop

bikehike.co.uk route database closing - download your routes

Post by CakeStop » 10 Jan 2010 23:24

bloody lawyers! :evil:
Eat cake before you're hungry

George

Post by George » 11 Jan 2010 08:40

Thanks for pointing this out, Steve. What's the background?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 11 Jan 2010 09:05

This is certainly a pain. Bikehike was easier and more reliable than Bikely. What a shame,

George

Post by George » 11 Jan 2010 09:15

Also, can anyone give me a bit of technical advice? As someone who doesn't yet use an on-bike GPS system, what format should I download my routes in for optimum future compatibility?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 11 Jan 2010 09:33

George wrote:Also, can anyone give me a bit of technical advice? As someone who doesn't yet use an on-bike GPS system, what format should I download my routes in for optimum future compatibility?
Save the GPX file onto your PC from Bikehike and then upload to your alternative. Bikely accepts GPX

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 11 Jan 2010 20:56

Save the GPX file onto your PC from Bikehike and then upload to your alternative. Bikely accepts GPX
Actually, it's not as bad as that. Bikehike will continue to operate route planning and download service. It's just the route database being withdrawn so you won't be able to save routes or access previously saved routes. So, having downloaded and saved your gpx, if you wish to use it you could upload it to bikehike and download in a different format if required.

It sounds like he received legal advice about the database leaving him open to litigation. Not sure how but the site doesn't restrict saved routes to the creator so maybe someone who comes to grief attempting to ride one of my daredevil routes might sue him for complicity :roll:
Eat cake before you're hungry

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 22 Jan 2010 14:02

I have just used Bikeroutetoaster which appears to be just as good as Bikehike. I learnt to loath Bikely due to the difficulty of deleting stages when plotting routes (only ever seemed to delete 100m at a time).
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/