Calling website designers. A non-cycling question.

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Philip Whiteman

Calling website designers. A non-cycling question.

Post by Philip Whiteman » 22 Jan 2010 17:34

Not a cycling issue... but if you have developed websites, can you help.

I am considering buying a webpage development tool. Do you have experience of using such a package and can you provide any advise on ease of use, etc.

As I understand it, Dreamweaver CS4 is the best package available for highly professional website design, aside from the cost, designers still need an expert knowledge of HTML or CSS. It has been suggested to me that Joomla may be an option on the basis of cost and ease of use.

The website is possibly destined for a small business platform. Alternatively, I am considering the development of a website for marketing audax events in the Midlands.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 22 Jan 2010 18:06

Why not just get a template and adapt it, that way you don't have to do any coding. There are loads you can choose from or most web hosting companies offer them. I'm with Easily and they have a few on their website, including ecommerce.
Last edited by Ed Moss on 23 Jan 2010 11:08, edited 1 time in total.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 22 Jan 2010 20:30

I've only ever used Dreamweaver but I've stuck with a very old version that does what I need. I wouldn't say it needs any special knowledge but I think it's probably quite pricey so maybe not for casual / occasional use.

As long as you avoid anything from Microsoft you'll probably be OK, I'm not a microphobe I use most of their other stuff but the HTML their software produces is the work of the devil.

To be honest it's more about what you do with it than the software you use. Keep it simple IMHO. Let me know if you want any help with the audax site - or somebody to bounce ideas off.
Eat cake before you're hungry

chalkie

Post by chalkie » 23 Jan 2010 09:57

i used a bit of software called HotMetalPro which i got for £40, and had alot of templates, but that was 7 years ago - as Ed says a host is the easier option, and nowadays HTML is not necessary to learn, as the coding is embedded with drag and drop style designer templates. 8)
and on the 7th day God created CLEATS..!

George

Post by George » 23 Jan 2010 13:29

CoffeeCup