Wiki-Cartography in action

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

CakeStop

Wiki-Cartography in action

Post by CakeStop » 06 Feb 2010 23:12

I've always had an affection for maps but have never had the opportunity to do any useful map making before. However recently I noted that there was a gap in the OSM map data in the lanes near Hartlebury so this evening I uploaded the GPS track collected on todays audax and filled in a few of the gaps. Actually it looks like someone else has been busy during the last week or so because the only additions I made were the service road through the industrial estate and the road that we took down to the A442.

At this rate we'll soon have a complete map of the UK (and beyond) which is free to use on the GPS (instead of the fairly pricey commercial options). Being able to contribute to this project so simply is quite satisfying in a wiki-nerdy sort of way.

Before and after maps shown below.

Eat cake before you're hungry

George

Post by George » 07 Feb 2010 10:47

Steve, where and how do you contribute?

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 07 Feb 2010 12:25

www.openstreetmap.org

If you notice during a ride that the road you're on is not shown on your GPS, afterwards you upload your GPS track which overlays the existing map so any gaps are easily spotted for you to fill in. Once you've figured it out it only takes a few minutes. People in poorly mapped areas go out with the specific intention of mapping their area. Around here, there are only a few gaps although you can add more info if you want. The only nearby gaps I've spotted are south of Hartlebury, near Holt Heath and south of Wyre Forest. There's also one small road missing near Haseley Knob which I'll fill in sometime if nobody else gets there first.

There are various sources of the free maps. I'm using Andy Gates's "Munky Maps" from http://www.ravenfamily.org/andyg/openstreetmap.htm which include some cycling specific stuff like bike shops and off road cycle paths etc. There's also http://www.opencyclemap.org/ which includes NCN routes and contours I think. Basically you download the latest map periodically and drop it in a folder on your GPS.

People touring in far off places overseas have commented that the OSM maps are much better than maps available locally - it's a worldwide project not just UK.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 07 Feb 2010 16:48

I can see that I am going to have to get a Garmin. My very old 139 OS Map is missing some roundabouts near Lavender Hall Fishery !!!

Si-D

Post by Si-D » 07 Feb 2010 23:24

Hi Steve.
The site asks for gpx files, but my Garmin stores my routes as a tcx file.
What to do??
God creates Dinosaur. God destroys Dinosaur. God creates man. Man creates Dinosaur. Dinosaur destroys man, woman inherits the earth.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 08 Feb 2010 15:45

Si - if you transfer the track to your PC via MapSource you'll be able to save it as a GPX from MapSource.

Bagbear

Post by Bagbear » 08 Feb 2010 16:09

Or convert here:

http://www.gpsies.com/convert.do[url][/url]

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 24 Feb 2010 23:02

There's a wonderful story on BBC today about how this project helped rescue workers in Haiti by providing vastly improved maps on what was available before within a couple of days of the disaster. In that case it was done by people using hi-res satellite photos that had been made available copyright free (as opposed to people walking/cycling around with a GPS).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8517057.stm

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 10 Mar 2010 18:46

I mapped much of Clent this afternoon, which strangely was mostly uncharted (about the only road that was in place was "that hill").

Still some gaps so I gotta keep going back for more :wink:

Johnnyc

Post by Johnnyc » 10 Mar 2010 22:30

Keep up the good work Steve!

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 12 Mar 2010 10:50

I just e-stumbled across this:

http://www.cyclestreets.net/

Looks to be a great implementation of the Opencycle mapping system. Try it... wonderful :)

Well, any system that grades routes for 'Quietness' and 'Wiggliness' gets my vote

:D