long fingered racing gloves.

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Ringo

long fingered racing gloves.

Post by Ringo » 08 Feb 2010 20:04

just looking around for a pair of long fingered gloves to get me through the early months of racing this year. ideally i'd just want a pair of normal mits with extended fingers but can't seem to find any. what i need is something that is light, doesn't restrict the use of my fingers and also does a bit to keep my fingers a bit warmer so i can still feel them.

can anyone reccommend anything?

George

Post by George » 08 Feb 2010 22:27

Ringo, when it's cold but not very cold, I wear a pair of 'magic' gloves, of the kind you can buy loads of places for a couple of quid, inside a pair of track mitts.

See, for example:
http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/eshop.asp? ... roogle#SZE
http://www.universal-textiles.com/UK-UT/utmg-06e.php

Mattoid

Post by Mattoid » 10 Feb 2010 08:50

A good question Adrian. I used a pair of Endura Full Monty gloves last year, but as they and many long fingered gloves are MTB specific, the padding design does not cater for the multi hand positions of drop bars, so i found them uncomfortable on long rides. So i suggest trying on pairs in shops rather than the tinters option, as i did. I will be interested to hear what you go for.

Johnnyc

Post by Johnnyc » 10 Feb 2010 21:49

Gore Xenon gloves are pretty good - quite fine - so you have great feel with them. They work well - and keep your hands warm - they kept my hands warm on Saturday for 5 hours or so.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/-_-/5360038696/

Si-D

Post by Si-D » 10 Feb 2010 22:33

I'm currently using a pair of CASTELLI Long Fingered Gloves.
Very lightweight (in comparison to the thicker, bulkier winter gloves you can get) but warm enough for most winter rides at training pace.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C0340

God creates Dinosaur. God destroys Dinosaur. God creates man. Man creates Dinosaur. Dinosaur destroys man, woman inherits the earth.

George

Post by George » 11 Feb 2010 19:36

... at approx ten times the cost of mine.

pprince3145

Post by pprince3145 » 12 Feb 2010 07:58

our cross boys use the woolly mitts with a grip on the palm. We got Bioracers in belgie blue, black and pimp white or castelli's in black

£15

not got my clothing on my website yet

Paul
Cult Racing...better than Rock Racing
www.cultracing.com

George

Post by George » 12 Feb 2010 09:17

Tony Le Mesmer wrote:our cross boys use the woolly mitts with a grip on the palm. We got Bioracers in belgie blue, black and pimp white or castelli's in black

£15

not got my clothing on my website yet

Paul
What, apart from the price and the fancy logo, distinguishes those from these?:-

http://www.universal-textiles.com/UK-UT/utgl377.php

snailmale

Post by snailmale » 12 Feb 2010 10:25

Not long fingered exactly, not even gloves, but way back in my youth when the winter winds tore through my then frail body, and my cycling activities were financed by the £1.00 a week mother allowed me from my wages, I resorted to the use of old woollen socks to keep the frosbite off my fingers. My thumb fitted quite neatly in to the heel, and worn over track mitts they were surprisingly warm. Unfortunately, because they were wool, and because they were old, the heels had disintegrated in to 'potato' holes, which my mothetr had darned, sometimes even darning the darns. The resultant sock/mitt was not the most sartorial of garments, but as I rode 'fixed' in winter, with no need to mess about with gear changes, the 'mitts' did the job. You kids missed all the fun
It is better to be interesting rather than exact

Ringo

Post by Ringo » 12 Feb 2010 11:10

the only problem i see with george's suggestion is the lack of grip which isn't a good thing when your riding in a bunch of 60 odd blokes.

pprince3145

Post by pprince3145 » 13 Feb 2010 08:18

Snail Male wrote:Not long fingered exactly, not even gloves, but way back in my youth when the winter winds tore through my then frail body, and my cycling activities were financed by the £1.00 a week mother allowed me from my wages, I resorted to the use of old woollen socks to keep the frosbite off my fingers. My thumb fitted quite neatly in to the heel, and worn over track mitts they were surprisingly warm. Unfortunately, because they were wool, and because they were old, the heels had disintegrated in to 'potato' holes, which my mothetr had darned, sometimes even darning the darns. The resultant sock/mitt was not the most sartorial of garments, but as I rode 'fixed' in winter, with no need to mess about with gear changes, the 'mitts' did the job. You kids missed all the fun
try them and see
those will be nasty and a looser fit and will rub your hands raw
Cult Racing...better than Rock Racing
www.cultracing.com

Ringo

Post by Ringo » 13 Feb 2010 11:34

actually, george's do have grip. sorry george, that picture you added didn't work last night and the pictures that you linked to weren't very clear.

they might be a good and cheap solution. only thing is they'd have to be a tight fit to fit under my mits. i'll have a look round and see what i can find.

snailmale

Post by snailmale » 13 Feb 2010 16:18

Tony Le Mesmer wrote:
Snail Male wrote:Not long fingered exactly, not even gloves, but way back in my youth when the winter winds tore through my then frail body, and my cycling activities were financed by the £1.00 a week mother allowed me from my wages, I resorted to the use of old woollen socks to keep the frosbite off my fingers. My thumb fitted quite neatly in to the heel, and worn over track mitts they were surprisingly warm. Unfortunately, because they were wool, and because they were old, the heels had disintegrated in to 'potato' holes, which my mothetr had darned, sometimes even darning the darns. The resultant sock/mitt was not the most sartorial of garments, but as I rode 'fixed' in winter, with no need to mess about with gear changes, the 'mitts' did the job. You kids missed all the fun
try them and see
those will be nasty and a looser fit and will rub your hands raw
The moment has passed, unfortunately, Paul. Darned woollen socks were superceded by cheap and nasty nylon products, totally unsuited to the rigourous demands of the winter club run. The only chance you have now of obtaining these rare items is at a cycle jumble or a charity shop. Be prepared to spend big-time :|
It is better to be interesting rather than exact

George

Post by George » 14 Feb 2010 22:17

Ringo wrote:the only problem i see with george's suggestion is the lack of grip which isn't a good thing when your riding in a bunch of 60 odd blokes.
Ringo, I don't actually use the ones with the rubbery blips on them. I use plain ones inside track mitts. The grip comes from the track mitts that you wear over them. They are ultra-stretchy and very tight fitting. They don't provide a lot of warmth, just a little extra protection for days when it's a bit too cold for track mitts alone, and a bit too warm for proper gloves.

Ringo

Post by Ringo » 15 Feb 2010 11:32

George wrote:
Ringo wrote:the only problem i see with george's suggestion is the lack of grip which isn't a good thing when your riding in a bunch of 60 odd blokes.
Ringo, I don't actually use the ones with the rubbery blips on them. I use plain ones inside track mitts. The grip comes from the track mitts that you wear over them. They are ultra-stretchy and very tight fitting. They don't provide a lot of warmth, just a little extra protection for days when it's a bit too cold for track mitts alone, and a bit too warm for proper gloves.
the only problem is that racing in a bunch at high speed requires lots of small and well timed adjustments on the breaks and gears. if your racing on your drops and your controlling the gears and breaks with the tips of your fingers then you need something that is going to give you 100% grip and not slip at a crucial time. another problem i have with woolen gloves is that when they get a bit older the loose bits catck on certain parts of your bike and can lead to a loss of control in some instances. the last thing you want is for you gloves to catch on you break leavers and force you to loose balance a swerve while you're in the middle of the bunch.