Upgrade of my old machine

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

wimpy

Upgrade of my old machine

Post by wimpy » 21 Feb 2010 22:07

Wanted....Advice on buying a bike, at the moment i have a down tube shifter alumininum frame bike but would like the sti shifters preff 105s or if poss could i upgrade my bike to the sti gears and how much would it cost?? your help would be much appreciated.

Kermit

Post by Kermit » 22 Feb 2010 13:35

Hi Darren,

Like most things in life, there are many options for you to choose from and the best choice will depend on a number of things - your budget, type of riding, winter / summer use, possible racing / time trialling etc. etc.

If you can get along to the club on Thursday night: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/message_boa ... php?t=2878 you will find that people will be only too pleased to help you spend some money and give some helpful advice :D

Andy M

Post by Andy M » 22 Feb 2010 16:39

Hi Darren

Upgrading your bike to STI/ Ergopower levers can be slightly complicated due to the vast choice of components available and also it depends on what your existing set-up comprises.
For example if you wish to upgrade to Shimano 105 STI levers, you also need a compatible rear gear, suitable chain, compatible freewheel on your rear wheel and suitable down tube cable mounts.
You say you now have down tube gear levers, so it's likely that your current freewheel block won't be compatible. This could also mean having to buy a new rear wheel.
I'm not sure about current prices, but I had a quick look at Ribble Cycles website and their 105 STI levers cost around £140, and depending on what other parts you need the cost could be £200-£300.
There are cheaper alternatives to 105, both Shimano and Campagnolo have lower priced ranges.
Kermit's advice above is spot on. I'll be at the meeting on Thursday and if you bring your bike I'd gladly have a look at it and tell you what in my opinion would be your best option. I'm not a mechanic but have spent the last 40 odd years riding and I always build my own bikes.
The upgrade to Ergo or STI levers is well worth it and one of the best improvements you can make, but given the cost it may be worth changing your bike.
You know you've made it when Graham Watson asks to take your photo

wimpy

Post by wimpy » 22 Feb 2010 20:37

Thanks Andy, but unfortunateley i cannot make Thursday night as i have family commitments, but thanks for your input on this matter. Would it be possible to send you a few pics of the bike and you could have a look and tell me the best option because i dont want to spend too much if it is not needed.My email address is wimpy6298@sky.com could you send me yours?.
Thanks again.

Andy M

Post by Andy M » 22 Feb 2010 20:48

No prob Darren---you can email me on Ajmsdn@aol.com.

What set-up do you have at the moment ---gear type, number of rear sprockets etc. ?

The biggest problem is trying to get the STI levers working properly with an incompatible rear mech and sprocket system.

Sorry to complicate matters. Andy...

Andy M

Post by Andy M » 23 Feb 2010 11:48

Just to add to the above Darren----
Why not go to a decent bike shop and get a quote/opinion about your bike ?
I've only lived in Brum for just over a year, so I don't really know anywhere, perhaps folks on here could recommend somewhere.

Kermit

Post by Kermit » 23 Feb 2010 13:31

Good idea Andy. I can recommend Ben Froggat's new shop in Stirchley (opposite the Cine Bowl but am now showing my age 'cause it's probably called something else by now)

http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/message_boa ... php?t=2658

Ben only does servicing, repairs and bike building and he certainly knows his stuff. Why not give him a call Darren?

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 23 Feb 2010 20:18

Assuming that you wanted to fit Shimano 105 equipement, then it would cost:-

STi Levers - £144.46
Rear Mech - £33.96
Cassette - £34.96
Chain - £15.94
Bar Tape - £10

So £239.17 in total, based on Ribble prices.

However, you need to make sure that your rear wheel will accept a 10sp cassette, otherwise you will need to add another £200 for a set of decent hand built wheels.

Then what state are your front chain rings in? I would suggest that you would more than likely need a new 10sp chain set @ £61.16 (Just as cheap, if not cheaper, to buy the whole lot instead of just replacing the rings)

But for the sake of another £18.57 I'd stick a new front mech on as well. :wink:

So the grand, grand total could be £318.90. (less the wheels of course)

Plus the labour costs if you have it all done at a shop, but I have no idea on the average hourly rate, sorry.

Which considering you can buy a whole new bike from Ribble for just over £500 makes it questionable if its worth the cost doesn't it?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 23 Feb 2010 20:27

Oh forgot to mention.....if you change the chain set, the chances are that your bottom bracket will not be compatible either, so add another £18.23. :oops:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 23 Feb 2010 20:50

To compare like with like, a Ribble with 105 groupset will be more like £800 but it does otherwise illustrate the economics of significantly upgrading an existing frame.
Eat cake before you're hungry

wimpy

Post by wimpy » 23 Feb 2010 23:58

Thanks for all your advice and input on this subject, it certainly is a lot to think about, but overall i think it might be better to buy another bike and keep my old one for winter training due to costs,labour etc... I wish i had taken cycling up years ago and probably by now i could have built my own perfect bike....Wishfull thinking eh..
Once again thanks for your time.

George

Post by George » 24 Feb 2010 09:26

wimpy6298 wrote:I wish i had taken cycling up years ago and probably by now i could have built my own perfect bike....
It's like decorating the house: by the time you've got one bit of it right, some other bit of it needs doing again.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 24 Feb 2010 09:58

I've upgraded to 10 speed over the last couple of years and have mostly got the bits hardly used 2nd hand. Worth having a shop around, but in the long run it's probably more cost effective to get a complete bike.

wimpy

Post by wimpy » 24 Feb 2010 23:30

Im currently biding on a Focus Variadio Expert Ultegra sl on Ebay.............what do you think?? item num... 260556363529 feedback please......
Thanks

George

Post by George » 25 Feb 2010 09:18

Ed Moss wrote:I've upgraded to 10 speed over the last couple of years and have mostly got the bits hardly used 2nd hand. Worth having a shop around, but in the long run it's probably more cost effective to get a complete bike.
From a purely financial viewpoint, I'm sure you're right, Ed. Nevertheless, I always feel uncomfortable about binning perfectly serviceable stuff.

paul

Post by paul » 25 Feb 2010 22:47

wimpy6298 wrote:Im currently biding on a Focus Variadio Expert Ultegra sl on Ebay.............what do you think?? item num... 260556363529 feedback please......
Thanks
Ultegra SL is lovely kit and as far as everything i've heard goes Focus's are bombproof, reliable frames

GrahamGamblin

Post by GrahamGamblin » 26 Feb 2010 14:20

Darren,
+1 for Focus bikes, I have a Focus Cayo, it's a much better bike than I am a rider...
Some positive reviews of the Variado here: http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/reviews/bi ... 28925.html
Graham