New Cassette or Not

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

wimpy

New Cassette or Not

Post by wimpy » 29 Mar 2010 14:02

Whilst riding the other day I noticed my cassette just started spinning for no reason can anyone advise on what has happened and what my choices are as to have a new one or could it be something else.....Thanks

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 29 Mar 2010 14:04

Most likely your freehub has stopped working. Probably just needs a good clean and all should be fine.

John Sanderson

Post by John Sanderson » 29 Mar 2010 15:01

Sounds like freehub to me. Sometimes more economical to just replace the wheel. I've bust a couple of freehubs in the last few years. It means you are honking out too much power :lol: :lol:
It's all about the bike.

spider

Post by spider » 30 Mar 2010 14:01

If it's a Shimano it's a bit of bun to change the freehub, (just a new freehub at about £20 quid and a big allen key. Removal of the duff freehub requires just a smart tap with a big hammer on the allen key.)

However, if it's a Campag, cross youself and ring Mercian Cycles for a quote.

wimpy

Post by wimpy » 30 Mar 2010 14:54

it is a shimano i think im going to give it a good clean and see where i go from there.......hope it works.... using an old steel wheel at the mo with 6 gears so im not very amused. There only old Mavic xp12s but i love em ive had them ages and they still run true as ever.

Missiles

Post by Missiles » 30 Mar 2010 20:05

I'd be careful Darren, and I certainly wouldn't use that wheel again without changing the freehub. The only two times I've been left helpless many miles from home in the last 16 years have both been due to a freehub failing. The first time I had some warning signs like you that the pawls were going - and I foolishly ignored them. Personally I don't think a good clean is what's needed - change the freehub.

Ruth

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 30 Mar 2010 20:38

Cue some wise sage to tell us the get-you-home broken freehub bodge using no more than 2 zip ties and a p**** repair kit.....
Last edited by CakeStop on 30 Mar 2010 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
Eat cake before you're hungry

wimpy

Post by wimpy » 30 Mar 2010 21:06

Thanks for all your advice i think i will change the freehub to be on the safe side and go from there.

Missiles

Post by Missiles » 30 Mar 2010 22:36

CakeStop wrote:Cue some wise sage to tell us the get-you-home broken freehub bodge using no more than 2 zip ties and a p**** repair kit.....
I had that bodge job explained to me after the second time it happened so I'll try it next time.......... though I hope there won't be one of those. However, I can't quite envisage covering 30 miles with the spokes taking all the strain for driving the back wheel. Has anyone done this and proved it's worked without completely ruining the wheel?

Ruth

wimpy

Post by wimpy » 31 Mar 2010 19:18

Well i gave it a clean and tried it out for 10 mile on the turbo going thru the gears and all seems fine at the moment.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 03 Apr 2010 19:19

Missiles wrote:
CakeStop wrote:Cue some wise sage to tell us the get-you-home broken freehub bodge using no more than 2 zip ties and a p**** repair kit.....
I had that bodge job explained to me after the second time it happened
Actually I didn't know what the bodge was I just named a couple of things in my saddle wedge hoping someone might know of one. While looking for something else though I spotted this...
Andy Terry wrote:My freewheel broke on the Devil Ride today. Tied the big cog to the spokes using chicken wire and zip ties and rode the last 35km on it, very carefully.

Eat cake before you're hungry

wimpy

Post by wimpy » 16 Apr 2010 20:07

Well cleaning it didn't work so i have to buy another freehub but i need one for sunday so where would i be able to find one at such short notice??? I need a shimano 7 speed freehub does anyone know where they stock these......Many thanks.

chris ankcorn

Post by chris ankcorn » 16 Apr 2010 21:19

This may be cheaper then buying a cassette:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/700-touri ... r-3884762/

I have one of these wheels and they are fine.

born again cyclist

not quite the same serious problem but it is the freewheel

Post by born again cyclist » 08 May 2010 12:43

i have a 10 speed shimano rear hub. i was going out for a ride and after about 1 mile the chain and rear mech were playing up. i stopped and noticed every time i stopped turing the pedals the free wheel was very stiff. puzzled i went home and pondered. must be the rear mech hanger i thought so i got some new ones...same problem.
when all else fails look at a book of instructions :P
it described what i had and said its the freehweel mech. Oh my gawd whats that i thought.
anyway i very gingerly took off the cassette. undid the inner nut and slowly slid off the freewheel casing expecting springs and stuff to fly off everywhere. what i found was two small pieces of metal attached to springs on either side of the hub. they were muddy and rusty. i carefully cleaned the hub regreased it and slid it all back together . result is 200 miles so far and no issues.rear wheel is very free moving. i would recommend anyone to regrease there hub annually ..i will from now on.

wimpy

Post by wimpy » 08 May 2010 13:12

I thought sod it and got a newer bike as i needed one anyway....so i purchased a Trek 1.9.........Niceeeeee
I'll Get There In The End

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 08 May 2010 22:32

Well done Darren - enjoy !