OMG my SatNav just blew up

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

slogfester

OMG my SatNav just blew up

Post by slogfester » 27 Apr 2010 12:12

Date: Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 11:30 AM
Subject: from the RGS-IBG re 'The wonderful world of natural navigation' lecture on Wednesday 12 May
To:

Dear RGS-IBG members,

Please find below details of the first in a new lecture series taking place in the Midlands region.

Wednesday 12 May at 7.00pm

The Wonderful World of Natural Navigation

by Tristan Gooley

Tristan has made several solo crossings of the Atlantic, where he discovered the rare art of natural navigation. Using the sun, moon, stars, weather, plants and animals Tristan explains how these natural techniques can enrich every journey. He will go on to explain how we can all use these simple techniques in our own travels.

You can find more information on Tristan’s own website: http://www.naturalnavigator.com/

Venue:

Details of how to find the venue are on the University of Warwick’s website: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/about/visitin ... campusmap/

Room MS0.4, in the Maths and Statistics Building, Gibbett Hill Road, number 36 on the map, in square E8.

Tickets:

All welcome.

£5 for RGS-IBG members and guests. No need to book, just turn up on the night.

This is a joint event with the University of Warwick Explorers Club and the Midlands RGS-IBG volunteer regional committee.

Events Office

Royal Geographical Society (with IBG)

1 Kensington Gore

London

SW7 2AR

T +44 (0) 20 7591 3100 (office hours 9.30am until 5.30pm Monday to Friday)

E events@rgs.org

W www.rgs.org

chris ankcorn

Post by chris ankcorn » 28 Apr 2010 21:13

I'd better go to this.
May help me to sail the right coarse at Bartley Reservoir.

chalkie

Post by chalkie » 29 Apr 2010 13:20

if you sail with the right coarse - is that navigators speak for shouting "ahoy-where the f*** am i?" :twisted: course
and on the 7th day God created CLEATS..!

chris ankcorn

Post by chris ankcorn » 29 Apr 2010 20:08

chalkie wrote:if you sail with the right coarse - is that navigators speak for shouting "ahoy-where the f*** am i?" :twisted: course
OK Spelling is not my strong point; but we should not trivialise the important subject of offshore navigation. It is, after all, very easy to get lost as this man found out to his detriment...........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/8648011.stm

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 29 Apr 2010 20:24

You know when I finished my exams and wanted a new challenge I decided to do a course in coastal navigation because, coming from Birmingham, it was the most wacky thing I could think of. I turned up on the first night to register but found the course had been cancelled due to lack of demand, in fact I was the only candidate.
Eat cake before you're hungry

George

Post by George » 30 Apr 2010 15:16

Did anyone hear that news item the other day about the bloke who set out to sail round the coast of Britain using a road atlas to check his progress? He had to be rescued after doing several circuits of the Isle of Sheppey, apparently.