Wheels

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Clive

Wheels

Post by Clive » 12 Jul 2010 14:17

Can I pick peoples' brains on wheels please?

what are your recommendations for a good strong wheelset. I need something robust and strong that will cope with the appalling roads, and I'm willing to sacrifice weight for strength. My rides are typically on road, 70-100 miles, and I'm planning to do more Audaxes too.

Currently using Alex R450 rims with Shimano Tiagra hubs. they have covered about 12,000 miles and the rims keep going out of true. Does anyone know a good wheelbuilder in the area, I think I need them rebuilt?

A cycle mechanic friend (she is not the area, so cannot rebuild the wheels) has suggested Hope pro3 wheels. Does anyone have experience of these?

Does anyone use Hope hubs? I know they have replaceable bearing cartridges, but I don't see the advantage and think conventional ball race hubs are OK; I strip down, clean and regrease ever year and they seem 100% reliable and last for ever.

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 12 Jul 2010 17:57

I have Mavic Aksiums which have done 9000 miles and still look brand new. Only had one little kink in the front which was from riding into the back of someone. I think for the price they are a great wheel. Have gone up a bit recently though.

paul

Post by paul » 12 Jul 2010 22:00

Ultegra hubs laced to mavic open pro rims with DT swiss spokes. 32h. bombproof and hugely popular for reliability. hope hubs are also pretty damn tough, those lot know a thing or two about making hubs

Si-D

Post by Si-D » 12 Jul 2010 23:14

Pop in and see Ben at Venture Bikes on Pershore Rd, Stirchley - he's meant to be a very good wheel builder.
God creates Dinosaur. God destroys Dinosaur. God creates man. Man creates Dinosaur. Dinosaur destroys man, woman inherits the earth.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 13 Jul 2010 09:52

I've found Bontrager wheels pretty good, not sure what they are like now as the last pair I bought was around 5 years ago.

The old ultegra/dura ace with mavic open pro are also hard to beat as they are mostly servicable on the roadside.

paul

Post by paul » 13 Jul 2010 11:49

Ed Moss wrote:...Bontrager wheels pretty good...
from someone who works in a shop that sees too much bontrager kit than i care to think about i'd say you've been pretty lucky Ed. the majority of bontrager stuff is ok but lots is just cheap tat. the wheels (depending on the model you go for) often leave something to be desired in terms of quality.

a friend and colleague at the shop snapped a rear spoke while out of the saddle cruising up onto a motorway bridge when we were on a ride. not putting any power down or anything. and i believe he had to have them re-trued several times before that.

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 13 Jul 2010 12:27

Wheels are the bain of my life. If you want somebody to test the trashability of wheels then ask me.

Basically you can either spend out on a bomb proof strong but light weight wheel such as Mavic SLs or purchase a cheaper, heavier but durable traditional 32 spoke wheel. The experts of wheels suitable for audaxes or riding in harsh conditions are St John Street Cycles. http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/category-Wheels-760.htm or talk to Ben at Venture Bikes.

I have to agree with Paul on Bontrager. They know that they are truly dreadful having trashed two pairs. The first pair were failing at an average of every 150km through broken spokes or coming out of true. On the second pair, a demonstration set, all the nipples split. I have heard other riders complain equally as vigorously.

Neil mentioned, Mavic Aksiums. I use a pair and have yet to find fault with them. However the durability of the rims would be compromised if using them in winter. My Mavic Elites, the next version up the scale, have suffered perpetual spoke failures and I would not recommend them.

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 13 Jul 2010 13:28

Yes i should have mentioned that i only ride the aksiums in good weather as well although they have been over bumpy surfaces.

John Sanderson

Post by John Sanderson » 14 Jul 2010 11:01

Mixed comments on Bontrager. Had some of the 'race' wheels (their one up from budget line I believe) and got on with them OK (although a freehub went after 18 months) and probably racked up about 7500 miles or thereabouts on them. The rims wore out on the set that had a freehub replaced (under warranty), so not that bad for c£140.

Bontrager Race Lite wheels were less good - rear wheel often being retrued (probably about 10 times over 3 years), have finally had to get a new rim put on - hopefully that'll hold up OK.

Tried Xero wheels, never again - freehub went after 13 months, advised by the suppliers to bin them - no spares available.

Ironically I recently bought a Shimano R500 wheel (£60 from parker international) to provide cover whilst the Bonty Race Lite was being rebuilt and it has served quite well, stayed perfectly true in the 3 or so months i've been using it - including hammering through quite a few potholes during road races.
It's all about the bike.

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 14 Jul 2010 11:40

Looks like I've been lucky, although my 2 sets are around 5-6 years old so maybe the quality has dropped in recent years?

On a positive note, I've never had to re-true my disc :wink:

George

Post by George » 14 Jul 2010 13:49

Ed Moss wrote:Looks like I've been lucky, although my 2 sets are around 5-6 years old so maybe the quality has dropped in recent years?

On a positive note, I've never had to re-true my disc :wink:
Well I have. I had a disc, which went into the attic during my first retirement from TT-ing and emerged about 10 years later somewhat less straight than it had gone in. I tried to straighten it by laying it on the top of a dustbin and walloping the rim with a rubber mallet. I managed to get it straight enough to go round without touching the blocks, but it was never really right.