Mysteries of Garmin file names

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderator: Andy Terry

George

Mysteries of Garmin file names

Post by George » 25 Aug 2010 22:04

Although I've been a Garmin owner for less than a month, I've been creating GPX/TCX files in the context of route planning for a few years, and now have a modest little collection. This collection has grown up in an ad-hoc fashion and, at a certain stage, I felt it necessary to rename 30 or 40 files to make the structure of the file names more uniform. Also, some of the files are the product of merging operations, in the context of which 'working' files were sometimes saved with names such as 'temp' or 'start' or just the default 'BikeHike_Course', before the finished file was given a permanent name.

I've recently transferred a bunch of these files to my Garmin. And I was surprised to discover that, when I open my list of 'Courses' on the device (away from the PC), I see not the file names that appear on my PC, by the names that the files had when first downloaded from the route planner.

I've looked in the 'properties' of the files on the PC, but there is no sign of the original file names. Presumably, the old names are somehow recorded in the body of the file, in a bit that the Garmin reads and interprets as the name. It is possible to edit course names on the device itself, but it's a bloody fag doing it all letter-by-letter with that joy-stick thing. I could also rename them all by uploading them one at a time to BikeHike and then re-downloading them with the new name ... but that's still pretty long-winded. I could do much the same using 'Ride with GPS', which has the marginal advantage that I can bulk-upload courses before renaming and re-downloading them one by one. Garmin Connect doesn't have any facility for editing route names as far as I can see.

Do any more experienced Garmin users have any useful input?

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 25 Aug 2010 22:23

The name of the route/track that's displayed on the GPS is embedded within the file and the filename on creation tends to default to the same name. eg on bikehike before downloading you're prompted to name the route and then the filename defaults to the same thing.

If you open the GPX in Mapsource and then double click on the route/track it's easy to change the name.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 25 Aug 2010 22:53

... or just open up the GPX file in Notepad and change the track name.

If I were you, I'd stick to GPX if you want to share routes or tracks with others.

GPX is an xml format designed specifically for saving GPS track, waypoint and route data. It is increasingly used by GPS programs because of its flexibility as an xml schema. More information can be found on the official GPX website [topografix.com].

The TCX format is also an xml format, but was created by Garmin to include additional data with each track point (e.g. heart rate and cadence) as well as a user defined organizational structure. The format appears to be primarily used by Garmin's fitness oriented GPS devices. The TCX schema [garmin.com] is hosted by Garmin.

George

Post by George » 26 Aug 2010 00:25

Steve and Andy, thanks very much: you have both opened my eyes to a couple of fundamentals regarding which I was previously quite ignorant!
CakeStop wrote:If you open the GPX in Mapsource and then double click on the route/track it's easy to change the name.
On reading this, my response was "MapSource? What's MapSource?" Once Google had told me the answer and a re-examination of my user's manual and CDRom had reassured me that I hadn't foolishly failed to notice that a copy came with the device, I found this statement on the Garmin site:
"MapSource is included with the purchase of a Garmin map on DVD or CD."
... however, not, apparently, with a copy of CityNavigator bought on MicroSD.

Encouraged by Garmin's invitation to "Download a Free Software Update" but frustrated by "WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a MapSource product" I surfed a little more to
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/01/3 ... out-media/
Having followed the instructions there, I am now the guilty-ish owner of a grey copy of the software, which I shall shortly start familiarising myself with.
Andy Terry wrote:... or just open up the GPX file in Notepad and change the track name.
This is such a blindingly obvious solution, I am embarrassed that it had to be pointed out to me, but very grateful for it. I have tried it on one file, and it works no probs!

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 26 Aug 2010 08:52

Many GPS users don't bother with Mapsource, replacing it's functionality with other freely downloadable tools. Compared to online resources, it's not at all good for creating routes but personally I think it's fine for a few final tweeks before transferring to the GPS and as an interface between the GPS and PC.

Your copy is probably quite recent but it's a good idea to use Help_Check-for-updates because the current version is significantly better than the copy that came with my GPS.

It's also worth changing the map that it uses as the one supplied is very basic. In your case I guess this means checking it's using the CityNavigator map (Utilities_Manage-map-products) but for those of us who have not purchased a set of maps, it's well worth switching to OSM.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 26 Aug 2010 09:46

I use the Google Maps-based sites for creating routes (bikely, biketoaster, ridewithgps etc. - take your pick) then download the GPX.

Any conversion e.g. 'track to route' or reducing the number of waypoints to fit your device can be done with GPSBabel (free) and you can transfer routes/tracks using EasyGPS (free).

George

Post by George » 26 Aug 2010 10:31

OK, thanks. I don't anticipate switching away from the Google maps-based on-line route planning applications (my preferred one still being BikeHike), but having MapSource just increases my options. Or, at least, I hope it will, because I haven't actually tried it out yet (other than just opening it to verify that it works); hopefully I will do after work later today. It is the latest version that I have, Steve, downloaded quite legitimately straight from Garmin. That other site I mentioned simply explained a simple way to fool the installer into believing that you already have a copy, so that the official update will install.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 26 Aug 2010 11:07

I too use bikehike for creating the routes. Apart from acting as the interface between the PC and GPS the thing I use Mapsource most for is combining routes & tracks when I want prompts on a complex preplanned route (such as an audax). I add the "coursepoints" (numerically sequenced - using routesheet distances in the case of an audax) at junctions with bikehike and download these along with the track (by downloading a gpx track). Then I open the gpx with mapsource, select the "waypoints" as they are now termed and, with autorouting off, select "create route using waypoints". I tend to use the mapsource filter to reduce trackpoints so my orginal GPX retains its full resolution. Then I save the whole thing as a GDB before transferring to the GPS.

For most purposes just following a track without prompts is sufficient but occasionally it's nice to have the combination of the two because it means you can pay more attention to the ride and less to the GPS.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 26 Aug 2010 12:34

When plotting routes for GPS, I find it useful to have this simple objective in mind:

"When I get to that junction, will I know which way to turn?"

kenM

Post by kenM » 03 Sep 2010 22:51

For any kind of messing with these files I'd recommend Mapyx Quo. The app is free, there are large scale maps free for it, and the software is really intuitive. Miles better than MapSource or MemoryMap. Very easy to edit files, convert between formats, all that stuff.

Does a good job of creating routecards and the like also.

George

Post by George » 04 Sep 2010 10:28

Thanks for the tip, Ken. That's one I've not come across before; I'll check it out.