Saik 5w LED CREE Flashlight Torch Bike

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

CakeStop

Saik 5w LED CREE Flashlight Torch Bike

Post by CakeStop » 30 Sep 2010 19:54

Split from Aldi torch light thread....

I thought about one of those but didn't know how to fix it to the bike. Instead, I ordered one of these....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0440339821

They're supposed to be quite good and for just over a fiver include the handlebar bracket and a rear light. Even if it's not up to much as a bike light it'll make a decent torch. Will report back when it arrives.
Last edited by CakeStop on 13 Oct 2010 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
Eat cake before you're hungry

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 30 Sep 2010 19:58

CakeStop wrote:I thought about one of those but didn't know how to fix it to the bike. Instead, I ordered one of these....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0440339821

They're supposed to be quite good and for just over a fiver include the handlebar bracket and a rear light. Even if it's not up to much as a bike light it'll make a decent torch. Will report back when it arrives.
Crikey, that seems a pretty awesome piece of kit!

The only downside is that when it finally arrives it will be the summer. :wink:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 02 Oct 2010 21:14

Reckon you'll look like a plane coming into land :wink:

The £5 torch thingy arrived today, 5 days from despatch in Hong Kong. Compared with my 3 LED Blackburn it's about the same brightness in flashing mode but when fully on it has the same bright centre spot, maybe brighter, but also has a wide halo which is nearly as bright - this is what I really wanted, to get me back through the lanes from the Coach & Horses because I was relying on knowing where all the potholes are. Handlebar bracket looks OK but I haven't tried it on the bike yet. Screws on the bracket are probably the weak point but if they eventually fail it'll still make a good torch.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 13 Oct 2010 23:55

Tried this out on the road tonight, alongside a 3 LED Blackburn for comparison. With centre beam aimed at road approx 10m ahead it was bright enough to see any pot holes. Sufficient for descending familiar unlit lanes at about 25mph. My only concern was the top of the diffuse halo was above car rooftops but while they all dipped their headlights none didst protest. Not sure about battery life, after about 1hr30min on constant beam, flashing mode was feeble but, bizarrely constant still seemed OK - I'd guess 2 hours max on constant from 3 AAAs. For best effect I combined it with the Blackburn aimed about 5m ahead and slightly to the left with the Saik 10m directly ahead.

Worth a fiver for occasional use on short rides when you need to see where you're going on unlit lanes.

George

Post by George » 14 Oct 2010 14:21

CakeStop wrote:I'd guess 2 hours max on constant from 3 AAAs.

Worth a fiver for occasional use on short rides when you need to see where you're going on unlit lanes.
And another fiver on batteries each time you use it, by the sound of things!

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 14 Oct 2010 16:57

Hmmm batteries are expensive down your way. Rechargeables should be ok.

RichK

Post by RichK » 14 Oct 2010 18:47

CakeStop wrote:Hmmm batteries are expensive down your way. Rechargeables should be ok.
£2.79 for a pack of 4 rechargables in Aldi...
There is no secret ingredient

George

Post by George » 16 Oct 2010 10:13

As I'm sure you're aware, Steve/Rich, the £5/batteries comment wasn't meant to be taken literally. The point is simply that the thing is going to eat a lot of batteries, which has to be a drawback worth weighing up against its obvious advantages.

Rechargeables do clearly save money, but it's worth remembering that they don't deliver the same voltage as the same-size 'ordinaries', so the light will be dimmer. And when I've used them with lights in the past, I've found that (especially the cheaper brands) soon don't deliver juice for anywhere near as long as when they were new.

I appreciate that Steve's only planning occasional use of this light, but, for more regular use, rechargeables have their drawbacks. I used to have a complicated system involving 3 sets of batteries that I circulated, one in the house being charged, one in the lights and one in my saddle bag in case the latter set died mid-ride. It was a heck of a fag, it was vulnerable to disruptions to the normal pattern of life and I was glad when I could stop.

It's a pity that these light manufacturers don't quote more directly comparable data. This light has an impressive wattage, but wattage isn't directly related to brightness. So Steve has to take a plunge and then make his own subjective assessment as to whether the thing is brighter than his other lights. What a buyer could do with, especially when considering a more expensive purchase, is figures on the intensity of the light at a given distance.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 16 Oct 2010 11:25

Somebody on YACF reported using one for about 8 hours on steady despite the feeble flash mode. I'd assumed it wasn't going to last much longer but I'll have to wait and see. Like I say, it's only meant to get me to the pub and back once in a while - for regular use it would clearly be worth investing in something better or even a dynamo.