Changing Tyre

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

RoadRacer

Changing Tyre

Post by RoadRacer » 29 Dec 2010 14:30

I am brand new to Cycling and have been on a few 20 mile runs on my own. I am curious on how to change a wheel if i get a flat as i have never been shown or told what tools i need or what innertube etc. I am looking at joining a club run from the Black Horse on the 02/01/2011 but i'm worried incase i have a flat. Please Help. :?
Hi my names Jonathan i'm a 35yr old guy who after an injury at football can no longer play. I was looking for alternative ways to stay fit and i found cycling. Looking for others to cycle with.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 29 Dec 2010 15:01

Don't worry about getting a flat on Sunday - there will be someone to help.

On the ride, you'll be able to get advice on what tools, tubes etc. to carry.

If you're really lucky someone else will have a flat and you can watch while it is fixed.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 29 Dec 2010 16:09

Welcome to the Beacon Jonathan. Like Andy says, don't worry about it for Sunday but if you do want to feel self-sufficient you might like to have a dry run indoors so when you need to do it for real by the side of the road it's not the first time.

You'll need 3 levers (one's a spare) and 2 tubes of the correct size & valve. If you have wheel nuts instead of quick releases you'll need a correct size spanner. I also carry patches in case of a triple failure but that's just paranoia.

- If the tyre's still going down try and spot where the air's escaping so you know where the thorn or whatever is - if you spot it, get it out while you know where it is.
- slacken brake quick release and remove wheel
- Deflate tyre if it's not already flat
- Get one tyre lever under the tyre bead opposite the valve and hook it on a spoke
- Get another lever under the bead a few inches from the first
- Slide the 2 levers away from each other and remove one side of the tyre from the wheel all way round
- Remove the tube
- Put a bit of air in the tube and find the hole, carefully check the inside of the tyre at that distance from the valve, both sides if you're unsure whether you turned the tube round - it's crucial to remove whatever caused the hole from the tyre or you'll get a hole in your new tube.
- Put a bit of air in the spare tube (just a few puffs) and put the tube inside the tyre, making sure the valve is sitting straight.
- Starting by the valve get a bit of the tyre bead inside the wheel rim, you may need to push the valve outwards a bit to get the tyre bead seated properly.
- Working with 2 hands either side of the valve gradually work round the wheel in opposite directions pushing the tyre bead into the rim.
- Make sure the tube is sitting nicely inside the tyre so you don't pinch it between the tyre and wheel rim
- The further you go the tighter it gets, keep squeezing the tyre beads into the centre of the wheel rim starting from the valve and working round to where you've got to.
- When you've got a few inches left, do the last step one more time and you should be able to push the last bit in without using levers. Only use levers to get the tyre back on if you really need to and be really careful not to pinch the tube.
- Start pumping the tyre up, stop and check round the rim to make sure the tyre's seated properly all way round, carry on pumping
- Pump the tyre up nice and hard to reduce the chance of getting another flat
- Put the wheel back on, tighten the brake QR and squeeze the brake while you tighten the wheel so it's nicely centered
- Pick up your, pump, levers and old tube (to patch when you get home if you wish)
- Don't forget to put your new valve cap on - this is most important
:wink:
- Somebody will be along soon to point out the vital thing that I forgot

Don't worry, it sounds worse than it is, I could have changed 2 tubes in the time it took to type that.

PS - if you search on YouTube there's bound to be someone doing a demo
Eat cake before you're hungry

Missiles

Re: Changing Tyre

Post by Missiles » 29 Dec 2010 16:34

RoadRacer wrote:I am brand new to Cycling......
Then welcome to cycling in general and the club in particular. Cycling is a fairly unique sport and pastime because it can be enjoyed in so many different ways - and we encompass just about all of them within the club. I think you'll have a great ride with Charles on Sunday and I'll look forward to meeting you in due course.

Ruth

ps. forget that note about replacing your valve cap in Steve's otherwise excellent explanation. Some of us consider valve caps to be unnecessary - but we don't argue about it, at least not very often. :wink:

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 29 Dec 2010 17:32

Or you could just watch a YouTube video like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmNo6rFKMzE

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 29 Dec 2010 17:36

CakeStop wrote:Pick up your, pump, levers and old tube
And old valve cap - if you can find it.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 29 Dec 2010 18:54

No need, I wouldn't have left a naked valve exposed to the elements, even for a few seconds.
Eat cake before you're hungry

RoadRacer

What great advice

Post by RoadRacer » 30 Dec 2010 04:34

Thank you all for excellent advice i'm going to give it a go indoors 1st lol as knowing my luck lately i'm guaranteed a flat Sunday lol.
Thank you all so much once again for your kind advice it is a great help to a beginner like me and i look forward to meeting you all on future club runs.

Kind Regards

Jonathan
Hi my names Jonathan i'm a 35yr old guy who after an injury at football can no longer play. I was looking for alternative ways to stay fit and i found cycling. Looking for others to cycle with.

chalkie

Post by chalkie » 31 Dec 2010 14:11

look forward to meeting you jonathan if you're coming on the intro ride which is a 29 mile loop with a stop at the Dodford Inn. I hope you don't have a **flat**, but they'll be plenty of help and advice if you do. The ride is a gentle scamper down to droitwich-ish, and then back to the pub, and then the 7 miles back to BH. Those are the hilly bits. 8) i'm the club photographer so if you do get a flat i'll be filming it! :twisted:
and on the 7th day God created CLEATS..!

Saracen

Post by Saracen » 31 Dec 2010 19:59

Hi Jonathan
I look forward to meeting you on Sunday, I won’t be riding with your group but will be at the Black Horse.
Don’t worry if you do get a **flat** you will be in good hands with Charlie.
You will also no doubt be shown what the experienced cyclists carry in their bags at the cafe stop

Personally I carry
Two tubes
Three tyre levers
One small pack of self adhesive patches
Spare link in case my chain should snap
Bike multi tool
Small packet of wet wipes.

In my jacket I carry
A packlight goretex jacket (unless it’s raining then I wear it)
A lightweight lock
A small purse with money for the café stop (and a little extra in case of emergency)
A mobile phone
House keys

RoadRacer

Gutted to miss Jan's club run

Post by RoadRacer » 06 Jan 2011 17:41

Was absolutly gutted to miss the January club run from the black horse but due to the surgeon who operated on me deciding to keep me in plaster for another 3-4 weeks (12 weeks total) I was obviously unable to get on my bike. I am praying that i can get out for Febs run as i am starting to resemble a small blimp :lol: will need re-inforced wheels and solid rubber tyres if i get any heavier lol. (so no need to worry about getting a flat with those)
Really hope to finally meet all of you who have commented regards me having a flat tyre if not in Feb then definatly in March.
Thats if i can get out of my armchair :lol: