Learning to ride a fixed wheel

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Dave Cox

Learning to ride a fixed wheel

Post by Dave Cox » 28 Jan 2011 07:33

Inspired by reading about Major Taylor and riding a Pinarello hire bike at Newport, I've done the late life crisis thing and bought a fixed. Before Nov the last time I rode fixed was a front drive tricycle over 60 years ago! Getting on fine with a few awkward starts in traffic. But then relaxed and descending towards Catshill in the gloaming I hit a bump in the road. Instinctive default to stop pedalling and all hell breaks loose - everything sort of went out of shape and I was already anticipating the pain and humiliation of the crash when by some miracle we straightened out again with no harm done. Keeping going through potholes or blowouts looks to be the biggest challenge. Still 25 years after the novelty of learning to ride tandem its good to be trying new cycling skills !

Mattoid

Re: Learning to ride a fixed wheel

Post by Mattoid » 28 Jan 2011 09:20

Dave Cox wrote:Keeping going through potholes or blowouts looks to be the biggest challenge.
Brain needs to be engaged when tackling speed humps too!

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 28 Jan 2011 10:06

Lucky escape by the sounds of it Dave!

I did something very similar the other week at Newport, on a flying lap.

The coach said, go and give it 110% effort, but remember, don't stop peddling as you cross the finish line.

Ha I thought.....who would be daft enough to stop peddling??

Guess what I did? :oops:

Needless to say you soon start peddling again, and very quickly I hasten to add!!!

But like you, I am strangely being drawn to getting a fixed wheel bike for the road.
Last edited by AlanW on 28 Jan 2011 13:04, edited 1 time in total.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Gary Mason

Post by Gary Mason » 28 Jan 2011 12:42

I've had a few occasions where the back wheels bucked up, usually when I've been distracted and forgotten to keep pedaling. But nowadays it freaks me out the rare occasion when I'm on a geared bike and start freewheeling - there's always a momentary panick when I expect the pedals to kick me :)

Albert Cox

Post by Albert Cox » 28 Jan 2011 15:09

The famous quote:-

With a freewheel you RIDE the bicycle.
But, with a fixed wheel, you are a PART of it.

PS:
Nearly February, it's time for some 66inch work in fixed, which will warm those winter chilled leg muscles towards greater fitness. Get twiddling!! And.... bonus: you only need one [front] brake!
Or has the law changed?
Whilst your machine is stripped...an excellent time for bench- servicing of gears, chains, cassettes etc. as here discussed recently.
ALC

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 28 Jan 2011 18:00

Now I feel motivated to try (again) to learn a proper track stand.

Then this - (scroll down to Dismount Technique)

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixedb.html

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 28 Jan 2011 18:08

Good man, Dave. It must be catching, though. I took delivery of a Cinelli Vigorelli yesterday. It will take a front brake, so I've got that as well (according to Velodrome.org that's all you need to be street legal, as you say Albert - although I've seen a warning that the police don't always understand the distinction).

As mine is more designed for the track, I'm not inclined to expose it to winter elements. Besides, it looks too good to dirty at the moment. Can't wait to get home to have a play on the new rollers. Oh good, seems that the train has just broken down...

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 28 Jan 2011 18:34

Forgot to ask, Dave. What did you get?

Mine (when it was new)

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 28 Jan 2011 19:33

Grogz wrote:Good man, Dave. It must be catching, though. I took delivery of a Cinelli Vigorelli yesterday. It will take a front brake, so I've got that as well (according to Velodrome.org that's all you need to be street legal, as you say Albert - although I've seen a warning that the police don't always understand the distinction).

As mine is more designed for the track, I'm not inclined to expose it to winter elements. Besides, it looks too good to dirty at the moment. Can't wait to get home to have a play on the new rollers. Oh good, seems that the train has just broken down...
A new track bike and new rollers! No stopping you now Greg is there........ :lol:

Lets see some pictures then??

Just a thought, and I am assuming that you intend to ride it at Newport, but just check that the tyres are ok to use on the track.

My Fuji track bike came with some dual compound tyres, which are not allowed at Newport. If in any doubt, replace with 23mm Continental Supersonics. Make sure that you rub tyre surface with emery cloth and then clean with pure white vineger (not distilled malt vinegar) before you venture onto the boards though!

Plus, don't ride on the road with them as they will cut up very quickly.

Or failing that, get a pair of sprinters and some quality tubs. :wink:
Last edited by AlanW on 30 Jan 2011 07:13, edited 1 time in total.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 29 Jan 2011 18:06

Hi Andy, I go it from Byercycles in Clifton Beds they advertise in Cycle. Its a steel frame imported from Taiwan and not especially light but Richard Byers built it up to match my Mercian so it fits me well. I might have another go at posting a picture but not so sure about the dismount!!
Dave

Grogz

Post by Grogz » 29 Jan 2011 19:05

Pedals borrowed from another bike at the moment. Tyres are £7.99 jobs, so an upgrade needed, as you say. Don't think I can stretch to upgrading to a cracking set of tubs yet!

As for the rollers, they are brilliant. Even managed no handed without falling off :D
Last edited by Grogz on 29 Jan 2011 21:05, edited 1 time in total.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 29 Jan 2011 19:45

Grogz wrote:Even managed no handed without falling off :D
Its only a matter of time........... :wink:

chris ankcorn

Post by chris ankcorn » 29 Jan 2011 22:37

Andy Terry wrote:Now I feel motivated to try (again) to learn a proper track stand.

Then this - (scroll down to Dismount Technique)

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixedb.html
Do you mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c2_HyxKD20&NR=1

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 01 Feb 2011 13:23

Its nice and sunny so I took mine out into the garden for some fresh air.....Image

snailmale

Post by snailmale » 02 Feb 2011 10:32

Albert Cox wrote:The famous quote:-

With a freewheel you RIDE the bicycle.
But, with a fixed wheel, you are a PART of it.
PS:
Nearly February, it's time for some 66inch work in fixed, which will warm those winter chilled leg muscles towards greater fitness. Get twiddling!! .
Exactly, Albert!
I've been riding fixed in winter for nearly 60 years now and its good to find it catching on again. I was interested to see the photos of the 'Exotica' people are riding. My own fixed bike is an old Peugeot road frame built up of odd bits: the whole lot cost less than a hundred quid and my average speeds, on reasonably benign terrain, are only marginally below my 'gear. averages, which probably says little for my overall ability. :oops:

Having said that, pushing 46 x 20 (62") is becoming more than my aging legs can cope with, even up what I regard as moderate climbs, and I think that fitting a lower gear would be impractical on the flat, so I might well, reluctantly, abandon fixed after this winter
It is better to be interesting rather than exact

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 02 Feb 2011 10:34

AlanW wrote:Its nice and sunny so I took mine out into the garden for some fresh air.....
The shrub which is second from the right looks as though it could do with some care and attention.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 02 Feb 2011 16:58

Philip Whiteman wrote:
AlanW wrote:Its nice and sunny so I took mine out into the garden for some fresh air.....
The shrub which is second from the right looks as though it could do with some care and attention.
How dare you talk about my wife's bush like that................ :wink:

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 03 Feb 2011 18:50

This just might be picture of my fixed wheel bike. If so yes I have since tightened the chain a tad.

Dave

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 04 Feb 2011 09:45

Twin sprockets so you can flip the wheel round Tour de France style for the big climbs?

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 04 Feb 2011 17:26

Yes but mainly so I can free wheel down !

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 04 Feb 2011 17:32

Indeed. My set-up is similar with fixed on one side and freewheel on the other - mainly because I can't get the freewheel off the hub.

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 04 Feb 2011 19:49

I love my fixed wheel machine despite the frame being close to forty years old. The only problem being my glasses working their way down my nose on steep descents - excessive twiddling no doubt.
Is any one up for a gentle fixed/single speed only ride ?

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 05 Feb 2011 13:05

Nic, good idea as long as its gentle and follows the contours ! Dave

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 05 Feb 2011 13:57

Pedlo Mudguardo wrote:Is any one up for a gentle fixed/single speed only ride ?
A, B, C and now perhaps an 'F' run ?

Pedlo Mudguardo

Post by Pedlo Mudguardo » 05 Feb 2011 20:21

A, B, C and now perhaps an 'F' run

I suppose we may as well go for the D and E runs and we've got it covered. If stretched to R we could have a retro run with wooly jerseys etc.
I think an occasional informal fixed ride would be nice perhaps when the light evenings return or a day during the week. :idea: