Brompton gears

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Dave Cox

Brompton gears

Post by Dave Cox » 29 Jan 2011 18:31

I've got a well used Brompton L6 with a 2 speed derailleur and 3 speed Sram hub. The derailleur up shift has been playing up this winter and liberal lubrication, half hearted cleaning and whacking the leaver across wasn't working any more. This is a pity because although having all six speeds is not mission critical, Birmingham and London streets can be an exacting cycling environment and you dont want distractions. Also having mastered the close ratio double change act I missed the smooth transitions.

Finally took it back to On Your Bike (where I'd bought it 6 years ago) this afternoon where the excellent mechanic/engineer John stripped it down and cleaned it up (especially the chain tensioner) and its perfect again. Felt a bit guilty (like when the dental hygienist asks about flossing) and stupid I'd been tweaking the wrong grub screws on the derailleur unit. He reckons a lot of his maintenance work is on Bromptons and it will go back for a new cogs chain and back mudguard when their next order arrives from Brentford next week.

I've no interests to declare beyond my CTC discount but excellent service and I got an impromtu maintenance lesson at the same time. Incidently they run cycle maintenance courses.