How do you lubricate yours?

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 31 Jan 2011 18:52

This is a bottom bracket question.

I recently removed my sealed bottom brackets to clean out general winter rubbish. First of all they were degreased and then oiled with normal chain lube. My thoughts is that BBs should be lubed with a grease viscosity rather than light fluid oil. However, it is difficult to force grease into sealed bearings.

Incidentally, the degreaser resulted in a degree of brown fluid (rust) exiting the BB. I am loathed to replace the BBs as they are only 1 year old and only 2,000km of wear.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 31 Jan 2011 19:13

Oops, I've always assumed sealed BB's don't need lubing. I used to have an old type BB on an old bike and having dismantled and regreased it once it was replaced with a sealed type. Only thing I've ever done with a sealed BB is to replace it with another.
Eat cake before you're hungry

George

Post by George » 31 Jan 2011 19:51

I have never lubricated a modern sealed unit BB. I use Campag's very cheapest £12 jobbies. The oldest one I have is maybe 8 or 10 years old. I've never managed to wear one out or seen any evidence of rust.

GrahamGamblin

Post by GrahamGamblin » 31 Jan 2011 19:56

I thought the same as Steve - that the sealed cartridge type didn't need to be lubed, or rather isn't able to be lubed, you just replace it when it wears out.
Graham

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 31 Jan 2011 20:38

Just buy a new one, the degreaser will have flushed out most of the grease which you can't replace as they are sealed.
The BB is a fit and forget item.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 31 Jan 2011 21:14

Modern external BB's are sealed and therefore you are unable to lube them.

Degreaser is nothing more than a by product of Satin tears if you ask me, it gets into everywhere that it shouldn't, which is why I never use the horrible stuff.

Other than cleaning my clean once its removed from the bike, via the Quick Link. :wink:

TIP
If you are going to buy a new BB get a Hope stainless steel one rather than a Shimano one. Bit more expensive, but is so worth the extra cost
Last edited by AlanW on 31 Jan 2011 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 31 Jan 2011 21:16

Hmm, interesting. There was a fair amount of rubbish in the BB as noted by lack smooth rotation and brown rubbish ouzing out. By the sounds of it and Ed's comments on grease, perhaps it is time to buy another.