Garmin E-Trex HCx - Tips and Techinques

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

AlanW

Garmin E-Trex HCx - Tips and Techinques

Post by AlanW » 05 Feb 2011 19:21

As quite a few of us seem to have these units, I'm thinking that it may be good to shares tips and techniques etc. Plus ask any questions, the idea being that we can build up on one thread that contains everything.

So, I'll start the ball rolling with a question:-

1) How have people got the Track Log Setup set up?

Do you save to the Data Card? I admit that I never used to, but altered it when I did LEJoG, but have since changed it back.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Andy Terry

Re: Garmin E-Trex HCx - Tips and Techinques

Post by Andy Terry » 05 Feb 2011 22:45

AlanW wrote:1) How have people got the Track Log Setup set up?

Do you save to the Data Card?
Your question prompted me to have a look. I have record method set to Auto, with Log Track to Data Card set.

Crikey. I have 241 tracks in there, going back to July 2008 - and it's only 4% full.

To be honest I never look at these (or delete them) as I download the track after every ride anyway. Useful for longer trips when you don't have access to your computer, I suppose.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 06 Feb 2011 09:15

As is normally the case when you start messing, I have now created myself a headache!

Somehow, and don't ask me how, I have managed to delete all the presaved Mapsets on the SD Micro Card?

Not a problem I thought, I'll just reload them from Mapsource. So I selected all the maps and clicked "send to device". Now getting a error message that the maps are not unlocked for that unit?

Never had a problem before? Just looked on the Garmin website under "My Garmin" and the product is still registered, see below:-

myProducts

Map associated with this GPS

Available Map Updates

eTrex Vista® HCx
Details

City Navigator Europe v9, Deluxe All Regions, Sept 06

Details

No update available

Any ideas, but I'm guessing that its a mail to Garmin Support?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 06 Feb 2011 20:03

My tracks are logged to the data card, seems like the logical place since that's where you have most space.

Most times people want to convert the GMAPSUPP.IMG from the GPS to the tiles needed by Mapsource. A bit of googling suggests it might be possible to do it the other way round but the best place to ask would probably be the Garmin support forum. I presume you bought the maps on card rather than CD? I don't suppose you backed up GMAPSUPP.IMG to your PC did you? Might be worth doing a search in case you did and have forgotten.
Eat cake before you're hungry

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 06 Feb 2011 20:19

Having just checked my GPS I'm not too sure how this works. Tracks are logged to the "ACTIVE LOG" which is available for transfer to the PC. These aren't visible on the memory card from the PC so I wonder if they're on the GPS internal memory. When you include "clear track log" in a reset these "active logs" are deleted but the daily gpx tracks on the memory card are untouched. So I'm wondering whether the save to data card option is to take a copy of your active logs rather than change the location. I think that the copies are compressed so don't hold the level of detail as the original active logs.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 06 Feb 2011 21:27

CakeStop wrote:I think that the copies are compressed so don't hold the level of detail as the original active logs.
They hold the same number of trackpoints as the track log. Although you can change the interval, mine is set to 'Normal' which is the default.

P.16-18 in the manual :wink:

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 06 Feb 2011 21:30

CakeStop wrote:Most times people want to convert the GMAPSUPP.IMG from the GPS to the tiles needed by Mapsource. A bit of googling suggests it might be possible to do it the other way round but the best place to ask would probably be the Garmin support forum. I presume you bought the maps on card rather than CD? I don't suppose you backed up GMAPSUPP.IMG to your PC did you? Might be worth doing a search in case you did and have forgotten.
Must confess I have no idea what you're talking about here. I bought maps on DVD (which I highly recommend) and it is dead easy to select the ones you want in Mapsource and send them to the eTrex.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 06 Feb 2011 21:35

AlanW wrote:Any ideas, but I'm guessing that its a mail to Garmin Support?
I think you're right as it's a 'locking' type issue.

Possibly try an uninstall/reinstall of the maps.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 06 Feb 2011 21:53

I was assuming that Alan was for some reason unable to reinstall so was trying to find another way of recovering his map.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 07 Feb 2011 06:20

Andy Terry wrote:
AlanW wrote:Any ideas, but I'm guessing that its a mail to Garmin Support?
I think you're right as it's a 'locking' type issue.

Possibly try an uninstall/reinstall of the maps.
Yes, I have City Navigator on DVD, and loaded the maps to the e-Trex when I first had it no problems at all. I check check in "My Garmin" states that the maps are still assigned to that unit and are unlocked?

As you say Andy, I'll try uninstalling/reinstalling the DVD and see what happens.

As a point of interest, I was actually setting up mine exactly as per this article Some interesting changes and I'll be curious to see if I reap the benefit from them?
Last edited by AlanW on 07 Feb 2011 06:28, edited 1 time in total.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 07 Feb 2011 06:26

CakeStop wrote:Having just checked my GPS I'm not too sure how this works. Tracks are logged to the "ACTIVE LOG" which is available for transfer to the PC. These aren't visible on the memory card from the PC so I wonder if they're on the GPS internal memory. When you include "clear track log" in a reset these "active logs" are deleted but the daily gpx tracks on the memory card are untouched. So I'm wondering whether the save to data card option is to take a copy of your active logs rather than change the location. I think that the copies are compressed so don't hold the level of detail as the original active logs.
For normal riding I don't save to the memory card, like Andy I always download each route after every ride. However, on the LEJoG that was not possible so I ticked the "save to" tab. This allowed me to save the entire route saved as date titled .gpx files.

I have since unticked it, as I dont really want to save files in that location.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 07 Feb 2011 11:29

AlanW wrote:As a point of interest, I was actually setting up mine exactly as per this article Some interesting changes and I'll be curious to see if I reap the benefit from them?
In my opinion, it's better to stick with factory settings and only change something if you need to.

Out of all the suggestions in that article, I think I only changed Time Zone, Units and Save Track to Data Card.

But then again, I guess some folks just like tinkering.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 07 Feb 2011 12:26

Andy Terry wrote: But then again, I guess some folks just like tinkering.
He who dares wins......although in this instance, he who dares, ends up wishing that he hadn't!

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 07 Feb 2011 14:49

All sorted and reloaded....phew! Dont ask me how, but I have had to unlock them again on the Garmin website?

And here is a quick tip, when you are deleting your old .gpx files that have saved on the SD Micro card, don't select "Delete All Files", otherwise you will do the same as I did. :oops:

To be safe I think that you would need to delete them one at a time?

I have the old version V6, plus several update discs, V7, V8 and V9 which makes reloading a right pain, let alone a waste of two hours!

So I have just bought the latest City Navigator Europe NT DVD from Wiggle, one DVD instead of 11. :shock:

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 07 Feb 2011 15:20

Adding contour lines - here

I reckon that adding this would be really useful, I just wish I could understand all the "speak"?

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 07 Feb 2011 15:32

AlanW wrote:Adding contour lines - here

I reckon that adding this would be really useful, I just wish I could understand all the "speak"?
Don't bother. It's just clutter that won't help with navigation. I know, I've tried the Topo GB maps. Waste of money for road cycling.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 07 Feb 2011 16:13

I use the version of the free OSM maps that has contours and, while I've never felt they're clutter, at the zoom level I use when riding the bike even in hilly areas there are typically only a few contour lines visible on the screen and when more appear I simply think "oh @!?%!". So they're probably unnecessary but if you also use the GPS for walking they might be useful.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 10 Feb 2011 10:15

Those that have City Navigator, what version have you got?

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 10 Feb 2011 10:34

City Navigator Europe NT 2009

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 10 Feb 2011 13:26

Andy Terry wrote:City Navigator Europe NT 2009
Did you have the version before that Andy?

I have noticed that the 2011 version is now out, and mine CN NT DVD has just arrived, but I don't know what version it is as there is nothing on the paperwork and nothing on the box either to identify it?

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 10 Feb 2011 13:35

AlanW wrote:Did you have the version before that Andy?
No. And I'm not thinking of updating yet because the roads we cycle on are the ones that change least. Road layout changes tend to affect major roads. Apart from new housing estates, I suppose.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 16 Mar 2011 11:59

Is there any way that you can load free OS mapping onto one of this units, intead of (or as well as) City Navigator?

Our recent discovery into the world of Geocaching would suggest that OS mapping detail would be more suitable?

I have looked at the Garmin OS mapping software, but it is not compatible with these units, only with the likes of the Dakota or Oregon range.

I must admit though, I do like the features of the Oregon 450. :oops:

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 16 Mar 2011 12:07

AlanW wrote:free OS mapping
Is there such a thing?

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 16 Mar 2011 12:28

Andy Terry wrote:
AlanW wrote:free OS mapping
Is there such a thing?
Here is one example.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 16 Mar 2011 13:36

Of course, OS OpenData. For web sites etc. But not for GPS units.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 16 Mar 2011 14:19

Ordnance Survey data is freely available. Turning the streams of figures into a useful map generally doesn't come free free of course.

Open Source maps are free, these don't have the same level of detail although they may in places be based upon Ordnance Survey data (now that is freely available). Off road, the maps only tend to include rivers, contours, public footpaths, cliffs, areas of woodland etc. To be honest, if you have a GPS, I'm not sure why you need a more detailed map for geocaching - don't you just home in on the marked cache until you're within a few meters and then start hunting around in unlikely places?

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 16 Mar 2011 14:45

CakeStop wrote:To be honest, if you have a GPS, I'm not sure why you need a more detailed map for geocaching
Agreed. We did geocaching happily with the original eTrex and no maps.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 16 Mar 2011 16:53

CakeStop wrote:- don't you just home in on the marked cache until you're within a few meters and then start hunting around in unlikely places?
Yes, that just about sums it really.

But we would like to make the new found hobby as another excuse to go out walking, so footpath/bridleway detail is what I am looking for ideally so we can make up our own circular routes.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 16 Mar 2011 17:35

OSM should be sufficient then. For an eg showing level of detail see...

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.36 ... 55&zoom=15

Click map key to see full list of features.

It doesn't look quite the same on the Garmin and I guess what it does look depends on which model you use but I've just checked the same area as above on my Etrex and it shows just about everything albeit in a different colour scheme - all the paths & bridleways (and pubs) seem to be there.

If you want to add contours, postboxes & bike shops, the Munkymaps build is great.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 17 Mar 2011 06:22

CakeStop wrote:OSM should be sufficient then. For an eg showing level of detail see...

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.36 ... 55&zoom=15

Click map key to see full list of features.

It doesn't look quite the same on the Garmin and I guess what it does look depends on which model you use but I've just checked the same area as above on my Etrex and it shows just about everything albeit in a different colour scheme - all the paths & bridleways (and pubs) seem to be there.

If you want to add contours, postboxes & bike shops, the Munkymaps build is great.
Thats exactly the detail I am looking for, but ideally I want it on the GPS, rather than the PC

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 17 Mar 2011 08:06

AlanW wrote:Thats exactly the detail I am looking for, but ideally I want it on the GPS, rather than the PC
And that's exactly what I had in mind. There's a thread somewhere about this but basically......

1) Download http://www.ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps/O ... y-UKIE.zip
2) Unzip the downloaded file.
3) Connect your Garmin and go to Setup > Interface > Mass Storage Mode.
4) Your Garmin is now a USB stick. Locate the \garmin folder on it.
5) The GMAPSUPP.IMG file is the current map. Either rename it or copy it to your computer somewhere safe and delete it from the device.
6) Now copy the GMAPSUPP.IMG file you unzipped to the \garmin folder.
7) Restart the device.

EDIT - If you want to leave your existing maps in place so you can quickly switch between maps without using the PC, the best thing to do is to use a separate microSD card.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 17 Mar 2011 09:54

CakeStop wrote:
AlanW wrote:Thats exactly the detail I am looking for, but ideally I want it on the GPS, rather than the PC
And that's exactly what I had in mind. There's a thread somewhere about this but basically......

1) Download http://www.ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps/O ... y-UKIE.zip
2) Unzip the downloaded file.
3) Connect your Garmin and go to Setup > Interface > Mass Storage Mode.
4) Your Garmin is now a USB stick. Locate the \garmin folder on it.
5) The GMAPSUPP.IMG file is the current map. Either rename it or copy it to your computer somewhere safe and delete it from the device.
6) Now copy the GMAPSUPP.IMG file you unzipped to the \garmin folder.
7) Restart the device.

EDIT - If you want to leave your existing maps in place so you can quickly switch between maps without using the PC, the best thing to do is to use a separate microSD card.
Fantastic stuff Steve, many thanks.

I cannot wait wait to get home now and see what happens, although I know deep down it will only end in tears. :oops:

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 17 Mar 2011 21:58

All done, but what a long process!

2 1/2 hours to download the maps, then 15 minutes to remove the folder from the unit, then 32 minutes to replace it with the new folder!

But the end result is very good, and certainly more pleasing to the eye than City Navigator is, with much more detail, some contour lines and generally more overall colour.

I'll give it a whizz tomorrow and see how I get on with it. Not as good as OS mapping, but its a good substitute.

Many thanks again for the pointers Steve.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 18 Mar 2011 00:04

Well it is the whole of the UK & Ireland - I think it only took me about 20 mins to download though, you should check what the kids are downloading with your broadband ;-) The Garmin USB interface is very slow, the file transfer is quicker if you take the card out of the Garmin and plug it straight into your PC but you need a little adapter thingy to do that.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 18 Mar 2011 07:00

CakeStop wrote:you should check what the kids are downloading with your broadband ;-)
Don't worry, I have already asked them both!!

To be fair, the download time did suddenly decrease when I shoe horned the lad of his PS3 to speed things up a little. :lol:

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 18 Mar 2011 19:57

Does it matter what type/sort of Micro SD is fitted - I was thinking of getting this one here for my now spare set of City Navigator maps.

Oddly, and as a point of interest, but I thought that you could run a 4GB card in the e-trex, however I have just looked and mine is only a 2GB?

But searching around the net would suggest that you can, so its worth a shot just to see if it will or not.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 18 Mar 2011 20:12

That doesn't look very micro to me Alan. I think the etrex can cope with up to 4gb but if it isn't micro it won't fit.
AlanW wrote:Does it matter what type/sort of Micro SD is fitted - I was thinking of getting this one here for my now spare set of City Navigator maps.

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 18 Mar 2011 20:43

That's not a micro SD card.

This is a micro SD card.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 18 Mar 2011 21:07

Of course you are both correct, school boy error on my part............ :oops: