Gearing Issue

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

PatBoySlim

Gearing Issue

Post by PatBoySlim » 13 Feb 2011 15:31

As some of you may be aware I purchased a Specialized Allez in November and so far have only been on the one intro ride,
On the ride i noticed if using the very highest gear (I think highest, Biggest ring on the Chain ring and smallest cog on the cassette) there was a loud rattling sound as if not engaging right.

I returned the bike to Evans for its free check-up and pointed this out.
on collecting the bike it still makes the rattling sound which I pointed this out to be told by the salesman that you’re not supposed to use the biggest Chain ring on the smallest cog.

My question is was the salesman not being honest and if he was how can a bike be sold as having 24 gears when you can’t use all of them?
Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard

Roobay

Post by Roobay » 13 Feb 2011 15:48

thats your highest gear and it should not make a noise
its just adjustments to the front mech
if your not confident doing it yourself then take it back
heres some help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tQxJqGV ... re=related

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 13 Feb 2011 16:11

Thanks, thought as much.

I guess same apples to the lowest gear?

AlanW

Re: Gearing Issue

Post by AlanW » 13 Feb 2011 16:39

PatBoySlim wrote:On the ride i noticed if using the very highest gear (I think highest, Biggest ring on the Chain ring and smallest cog on the cassette) there was a loud rattling sound as if not engaging right.

I returned the bike to Evans for its free check-up and pointed this out.
on collecting the bike it still makes the rattling sound which I pointed this out to be told by the salesman that you’re not supposed to use the biggest Chain ring on the smallest cog.

My question is was the salesman not being honest and if he was how can a bike be sold as having 24 gears when you can’t use all of them?
I think that there maybe a interpretation problem here, as I can see what the sales man was suggesting, and in principle he is correct.

However, define smallest cog?

Smallest as in overall size or smallest in terms of gearing, both at complete opposite ends of the cassette.

If you are referring to the smallest cog in terms of size and largest chain ring, then yes its a simple adjustment on the H/L screws.

If you a are referring to smallest gear (in terms of gearing) and the largest chain ring, then the Evans guy is correct.

But please note, that even though you may have 24 gears on paper, in the real world you cannot utilize them all, due to poor chain alignment.

I am not saying that you cannot, more a case of saying if you do you will subject the chain to unnecessary side loading, this will greater reduce the life expectancy of your chain.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 13 Feb 2011 16:45

Smallest cog in size and biggest chain ring.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 13 Feb 2011 16:51

PatBoySlim wrote:Smallest cog in size and biggest chain ring.
Its a simple adjustment then, its either the stop on the rear mech that needs adjusting, 1/4 turn?

Or, it could be that the rear mech cable has been adjusted without enough slack to allow the mech to cover the range of gears.

It all depends how comfortable you are in messing about with your gears really?

But ideally you need to set both the High and Low stops on the rear mech first, before adjusting the SIS cable.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Andy Terry

Re: Gearing Issue

Post by Andy Terry » 13 Feb 2011 17:22

PatBoySlim wrote:told by the salesman that you’re not supposed to use the biggest Chain ring on the smallest cog.
What! :roll:

You're not supposed to use the big chainring with the largest sprocket at the back.