Garmin 705

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

PatBoySlim

Garmin 705

Post by PatBoySlim » 19 Mar 2011 01:29

Just took delivery of a Garmin 705 and I would figure it out eventually but know a lot of people already have one so im after some advice on maps and route planning for Audax's etc.

Any advice would be really helpfull.

Pat.
Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard

AlanW

Re: Garmin 705

Post by AlanW » 19 Mar 2011 07:36

PatBoySlim wrote:Just took delivery of a Garmin 705 and I would figure it out eventually but know a lot of people already have one so im after some advice on maps and route planning for Audax's etc.

Any advice would be really helpfull.

Pat.
Welcome to the world of GPS, but your gonna regret asking that question!!

However, up till a couple of days ago, I would have recommended getting City Navigator on DVD, and to a certain degree I still do. As a point of interest, Wiggle are selling the 2011 version as cheap as anyone right now.

The price has come down greatly over the years, and the big plus with the DVD over a presaved SD card is that you load the mapping software onto you PC/laptop from where you can create all your routes etc. You can then save these and export them to your 705 as .gpx files.

But thanks to Steve he posted a link to OSM Maps on a thread that I started about the e-Trex, see below -

1) Download http://www.ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps/O ... y-UKIE.zip
2) Unzip the downloaded file.
3) Connect your Garmin and go to Setup > Interface > Mass Storage Mode.
4) Your Garmin is now a USB stick. Locate the \garmin folder on it.
5) The GMAPSUPP.IMG file is the current map. Either rename it or copy it to your computer somewhere safe and delete it from the device.
6) Now copy the GMAPSUPP.IMG file you unzipped to the \garmin folder.
7) Restart the device.

It is very easy to do and the level of detail is much better than City Navigator.

There are lots of free sites that offer lots of options as to how you can manipulate mapping data, and everyone using a different one, but have a read of this one

I use this one to either create a route from the start, or export a route in order to reduce its size before uploading to the GPS.

NOTE
You may care to avoid avoid auto routing, and save your route as a track. All you then need to do is follow the coloured line on your GPS, from my experiences auto routing is not to good on a bike!

Lots more info here
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 19 Mar 2011 07:59

One advantage of commercial maps over OpenSource might be reliability of auto-navigation, that is using like a car sat nav "take me to xxxxx". OpenSource maps were created and are updated by the public. When I first did some of this myself I didn't understand how to use the software properly and I didn't connect the nodes. As a map it doesn't matter (the roads looked joined but they technically weren't) but if you tried to autonavigate the garmin wouldn't know that it could turn off one road onto the other. In true wiki style another contributor quickly spotted this and corrected it (and tipped me off) so it's pretty reliable but not guaranteed.

This isn't a problem to me because I only ever use the garmin for preplanned routes and I'd never need to use one like a car satnav but it's worth mentioning so folks know what they're getting.
Eat cake before you're hungry

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 19 Mar 2011 08:06

CakeStop wrote:One advantage of commercial maps over OpenSource might be reliability of auto-navigation, that is using like a car sat nav "take me to xxxxx". OpenSource maps were created and are updated by the public. When I first did some of this myself I didn't understand how to use the software properly and I didn't connect the nodes. As a map it doesn't matter (the roads looked joined but they technically weren't) but if you tried to autonavigate the garmin wouldn't know that it could turn off one road onto the other. In true wiki style another contributor quickly spotted this and corrected it (and tipped me off) so it's pretty reliable but not guaranteed.

This isn't a problem to me because I only ever use the garmin for preplanned routes and I'd never need to use one like a car satnav but it's worth mentioning so folks know what they're getting.
That's a very good point Steve, and one that I was going to mention and forgot. I used my e-Trex in the car yesterday and tried to Autoroute my way home, just to see what it would do with the OSM mapping really.

For some unknown reason it kept trying to suggest that I turned left off the Bromsgrove/Redditch dual carriageway, even when there were no turnings, it kept saying "Left on trail" even though I had it set on "Follow Road" navigation?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 19 Mar 2011 12:17

Thanks all,

I had come across the http://www.ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps/O ... y-UKIE.zip link last nigh but wanted to learn more before updating as Ive been using Tomtom since 2002 on a PDA then a tomtom unit since 2007 and there have been Open source updates and POI's available that were'nt always any good.

The OSM sounds good but I would like the "Take me here" option (added an extra 6 miles onto a journey sunday trying to find The Wheelbarrow and castle in Radford taking a few wronf turns) but either way need to replace the basemap.

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 19 Mar 2011 12:25

I have three weeks to Decide, Found out I broke my arm 2 weeks ago and it was placed in plaster yesterday when the injury was discovered.

New HTC kit delivered thursday, Sat Nav and White Specialized helmet yesterday and cant use any on them !

Doing my first ever Audax with my wife the end of April (Chuffing50) so I would like to be up to speed with the Sat Nav by then.

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 19 Mar 2011 16:05

PatBoySlim wrote:Thanks all,
The OSM sounds good but I would like the "Take me here" option (added an extra 6 miles onto a journey sunday trying to find The Wheelbarrow and castle in Radford taking a few wronf turns) but either way need to replace the basemap.
If you go out with the intention of finding your way somewhere it only takes a few minutes to create a track on the PC, transfer to the garmin before you go and follow that. The only reason I think I'd ever use auto navigation is if I was forced to change plans mid-ride and needed the shortest way home / event HQ (but on an audax I'd normally have a copy of a map in my pocket).

Edit - this happened to me once when I didn't have a map and I managed to find my way from Ledbury to Malvern via a nice route (so main road biased road signs no good) although I did choose to ignore a few GPS suggestions because I fancied other options more.

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 19 Mar 2011 19:48

Ive used the plugin to export a route from Google maps to the GPS, It apperars in my favourites in the where to ? find places but doesnt appear to show the route i planned just how to get to destination (including going on the M5).

How do I avoid avoid auto routing, and save your route as a track to follow exact route as planned ?

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 19 Mar 2011 20:59

PatBoySlim wrote:How do I avoid avoid auto routing, and save your route as a track to follow exact route as planned ?
On the odd occasion that I have used this on my bike, I have done the route as "follow off road". Odd as it may seem, what it does is create a dead straight line or a as the crow fly's line to your final destination. All you need to do then is stay as close to this coloured line as possible and aim in that general direction. Like Steve has already mentioned, use auto route at your peril on a bike, I used the auto route function once on my bike, and never again!!

The key is to mark where ever you are starting from as a Waypoint and give it a unique name for reference later.

But if you are creating a route at home (assuming that you have the City Navigator DVD) there a number of ways that you can covert them, and all using free software where you import as a route and then convert it to a track.

These sites are just a few that are well worth book marking for future reference:-

http://www.gpsbabel.org/

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

http://www.easygps.com/download.asp

http://ridewithgps.com/

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/

http://www.2steger.de/gac/

http://maps.the-hug.net/

Or once you have the City Navigator, save your route as a .gpx file on your desk top. Open up a site like http://www.bikehike.co.uk/ and import the .gpx file. Go into the 'Options' tab, bottom right hand corner, then look for the 'Track Point Reduction', mid screen.

You will now see how many Trackpoints your imported track has, I don't know about the 705, but the e-Trex can only cope with 500 track points. So add this figure of 500 into the 'Reduce To' field, then click 'Reduce'.

Connect your unit to the PC and finally export the reduced track direct to your unit.

All you will now see is a coloured line that you need to follow. Just be careful on the colour of your line, as its not always a clear as you might think.

And also remember in the case of a Audax, it will not show you a direction if the track splits at some point, so always carry a route card just in case!!

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 19 Mar 2011 21:50

AlanW wrote:And also remember in the case of a Audax, it will not show you a direction if the track splits at some point, so always carry a route card just in case!!
Never thought about that. All you'd need to do is insert a coursepoint to avoid any doubt. For audaxes I enter coursepoints for each routesheet instruction in the format "97.6 SoX" for example

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 22 Mar 2011 22:58

Alan,

Was it City Navigator Europe that you recommend ?

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 23 Mar 2011 06:34

PatBoySlim wrote:Alan,

Yes, 2011 version.

But I seem to think there are two 2011 versions out?

As I understand it, the one version was released in the latter part of 2010, and the newer version has only just been released. In truth though there will hardly be any difference, but its always good to buy the latest version you can.

The problem is that I suspect that the shops still have the older versions in stock that they need to clear first.

But if you drop Garmin support a quick mail, they will give you the exact product codes, plus confirm if I am talking gibberish as usual. :oops:

Product.Support@garmin.com

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 23 Mar 2011 06:37

PatBoySlim wrote:Alan,

Yes, 2011 version.

2011 City Navigator

But buy the DVD and NOT the Micro SD card!

But I seem to think there are two 2011 versions out?

As I understand it, the one version was released in the latter part of 2010, and the newer version has only just been released. In truth though there will hardly be any difference, but its always good to buy the latest version you can.

The problem is that I suspect that the shops still have the older versions in stock that they need to clear first.

But if you drop Garmin support a quick mail, they will give you the exact product codes, plus confirm if I am talking gibberish as usual. :oops:

Product.Support@garmin.com

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 24 Mar 2011 08:45

HI Alan,

I was going to buy the DVD.

I emailed Garmin yesterday asking for information on versions etc, as yet no reply but will post the response should i recieve one.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 24 Mar 2011 10:11

PatBoySlim wrote:HI Alan,

I was going to buy the DVD.

I emailed Garmin yesterday asking for information on versions etc, as yet no reply but will post the response should i recieve one.
You will get a reply, but I think that you have to allow three working days, or you could try giving them a call?

0870 850 1242, you "could" be lucky and get through straight away, or you'll be put on hold till the 2012 version comes out!

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 24 Mar 2011 10:18

I think you want

Garmin City Navigator Europe NT DVD 2011, Part No 010-10887-50

That's the one sold on the Garmin web site

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 24 Mar 2011 11:56

Andy Terry wrote:I think you want

Garmin City Navigator Europe NT DVD 2011, Part No 010-10887-50

That's the one sold on the Garmin web site
The first version of 2011 was released on the 6th July 2010, see here

First version Part number: 010-10887-50

I bit of poking about has revealed that a newer version was released last month, see Here

The part number for this version is 010-D0036-00

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 24 Mar 2011 12:23

Nice digging. In that case, 010-D0036-00 is the one you want.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 25 Mar 2011 08:39

It is quite interesting to note that when you click on the latest version to buy the DVD and add it to your shopping cart, it automatically alters it and adds the older version instead?

Try it and you'll see what I mean?

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 25 Mar 2011 09:11

Purchased thiis morning.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SA:GB:1123

Emailed them yesterday and they confirmed it is the latest version 010-D0036-00

Thanks all, no more question until DVD arrives ! (dont hold me to that)

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 06 Apr 2011 13:44

Hi Guys,

Map installed on PC (got around the issue of installing on more than one computer , 2nd PC say map is unlocked but doesn’t)

Copied UK and Ireland map to Micro SD card. All ok.

On Sunday rode from Cafe at Chaddesley Corbett back to the Black Horse.
When I got home and uploaded my trip, it shows the full route but says only 6 miles (Lap1).
How do I get it to record the full route? I pressed start and only pressed stop when I did.
Also I’ve downloaded a few .gpx files, how do I get it to follow these?

Thanks In advance.

Pat.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 08 Apr 2011 11:52

PatBoySlim wrote:Hi Guys,

Map installed on PC (got around the issue of installing on more than one computer , 2nd PC say map is unlocked but doesn’t)

Copied UK and Ireland map to Micro SD card. All ok.

On Sunday rode from Cafe at Chaddesley Corbett back to the Black Horse.
When I got home and uploaded my trip, it shows the full route but says only 6 miles (Lap1).
How do I get it to record the full route? I pressed start and only pressed stop when I did.
Also I’ve downloaded a few .gpx files, how do I get it to follow these?

Thanks In advance.

Pat.
Hi Pat,

When you say route, I assume that you mean track? A track is where you have been, while a route is where you want to go. I am not familar with your route, so not to sure why it has not recored the whole track?

Can I maybe suggest that you have a look at the Garmin forum, I would expect the answer to be hidden there somewhere?

As for how you follow the gpx files, it all depends how you have it saved, as a track or as a route?

Personally I prefer to save as a track, rather than a route. In which case its simply a case of following a coloured line on the screen. But it will not offer any turn by turn instruction.

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 08 Apr 2011 12:38

Thanks Alan,

Yes its a track, When I uploaded it it showed the full track taken but said distance 6 miles lap 1. I know the distance was 11.5 miles plus

I now know I need to select track as I didnt want turn by turn :D

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 08 Apr 2011 13:36

PatBoySlim wrote:When I uploaded it it showed the full track taken but said distance 6 miles lap 1. I know the distance was 11.5 miles plus
I can only "think" that maybe there is a lap 2, with the remaining distance?

PatBoySlim

Post by PatBoySlim » 08 Apr 2011 14:32

I also thought there may be a lap 2, sadly there wasn't..