That was lucky

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

CakeStop

That was lucky

Post by CakeStop » 23 Mar 2011 11:54

I decided having used a set of cables for 2 years / 6000 miles that I should preemptively change them although there were no obvious problems. The rear gear cable was badly frayed inside the shifter, probably wouldn't have lasted much longer.

Does everybody else replace cables at any particular interval or just wait for them to break?
Eat cake before you're hungry

Andy Terry

Re: That was lucky

Post by Andy Terry » 23 Mar 2011 12:13

No. And never had one break.

I've always thought the most likely point of failure would be where the cable attaches to the nipple. But that's never actually happened to me either.

Instead of those cable end caps (ferrules?) that you crimp on with pliers and often fall off, I've started using heat shrink tube from Maplins.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/heat-shrinkable ... code=BF86T

CakeStop

Re: That was lucky

Post by CakeStop » 23 Mar 2011 12:39

Andy Terry wrote:No. And never had one break.
Crumbs, maybe I change gear too often.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Philmondo

Post by Philmondo » 23 Mar 2011 13:12

I generally replace my gear and brake cables once a year. I don't know if this is overkill or not, but the used cables do tend to look quite poor when I remove them.

Kermit

Post by Kermit » 23 Mar 2011 13:31

Funny you should mention that Steve. Like you I never bother changing cables unless I'm upgrading the kit. I had my first rear mech cable break on the March Hare a couple of weeks ago which was most inconvenient. It broke close to the nipple and was clearly on the way out for some time by the way the cable had frayed. I don't intend to change cables more frequently but what I will do is to make a visual check of the cables periodically by pealing back the rubber sheathing on my Ergo shifters.

I would be far more concerned though if a brake cable were to fail. Has anybody experienced that?

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 23 Mar 2011 14:06

I tend to replace mine about once every two years and oil the cables around every six months.

Additionally, I replace my pedals every three years as a matter of policy. That may seem extreme but I have suffered two critical failures in the past where the axle snapped in two. Some of you may remember my rant about Eggbeaters B*(

George

Post by George » 23 Mar 2011 16:50

I have experienced one failure that I can recall. I don't know whether it applies in your case, Steve, but I strongly suspected that my failure was down to cable misalignment. If you drop the bike/have a minor collision, the levers sometimes get knocked out of position, and the natural inclination is just to push them back again. Or you may loosen them and re-tighten them when fitting new bar tape. Under such circumstances, the lever is liable to get moved a bit. Then the cable alignment may not be very good and/or the outer may not be fully seated in the mating recess. That leads to wear, a couple of strands snap, you get snagging, and the thing deteriorates quickly after that.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 23 Mar 2011 17:04

I've had brake cables fail or freeze up on Bromptons. Not gears as far as I can recall. I'd like to get into routine replacement but haven't done so unless they get sticky.

Missiles

Post by Missiles » 23 Mar 2011 20:44

Kermit wrote:I would be far more concerned though if a brake cable were to fail. Has anybody experienced that?
I've not personally had a brake cable fail but my friend's brake cable did break as we rolled into Little Langdale having just ridden over Hardknott and Wrynose. I guess it had come in for some heavy use in the preceding few miles but it did rather freak her out as she thought of what might have happened had it gone a few miles earlier..............

Gosh, I feel very old now as that was sometime in the last century.

Ruth