Help - bikeroutetoaster issues

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

diggers

Help - bikeroutetoaster issues

Post by diggers » 01 Apr 2011 19:13

I've just posted this on CTC forum but then thought local knowledge would be as good!

I've finally got to grips (ish) with my Garmin Edge and so want to put on my day routes for JOGLE, the idea being that this will be my main navigating tool. However, bikeroutetoaster is giving me some issues. It keeps coming up with the message 'retrieving route information' with a circle going round in a search motion...but that circle just keeps going. I've tried refreshing and deleting cookies but to no avail. Has anyone any ideas? Is this just BRT or something that I have enabled or blocked on my PC? I got as far as saving a course the other day - first one saved fine (althought it wouldn't load today) and the second one just had that circle spinning round and round.
Similarly with Garmin Connect, when I tried to upload a route from the GPS unit, the retrieving information bit just went on forever and I had to give up. I did the check page for communication plug in etc and that seemed fine.
I'm not on wireless, it is a new laptop so not clogged up with stuff, using newest update of internet explorer if that information helps.
really appreciative of some suggestions as I start JOGLE next week and I have a lot of routes to input!
claire

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 01 Apr 2011 19:35

Seems to be OK for me (in google chrome), either uploading a GPS or loading a save route.

Have you tried using a different browser? Google Chrome is pretty quick and works for most sites.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Johnnyc

Post by Johnnyc » 01 Apr 2011 19:41

If it isn't to do with a slow internet connection, then it may be a browser issue.
I recommend you install the latest version of Firefox and give it a go with that

Firefox works really well with BRT - and I've had no problems getting planned routes saved onto the Garmin.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/

Andy Terry

Post by Andy Terry » 01 Apr 2011 20:45

+1 for Firefox

Also try this alternative:

http://ridewithgps.com/

diggers

Post by diggers » 01 Apr 2011 20:48

thanks guys.
John - so far so good with Mozilla. I've saved 2 days!
Another question - how many track points are you meant to put in? Only to avoid the route going a way you don't want it to go? If you want to do 20 miles along the same road, is there any reason you would put in track routes along the way? Sorry if that is a dim question but just need to check before I do it all wrong!

Johnnyc

Post by Johnnyc » 01 Apr 2011 21:12

Glad the browser change worked.

I always use course points, as they give turn by turn instructions at each junction. You can also add a warning e.g. 200ft before a turning.

Track points are just like following a line on a map

From BRT:

There are 2 different point types:

Track Point - A basic point that simply marks a position on the map.
Course Point - A point that contains additional information such as which way to turn at a junction.

On BRT I usually select the following:
Course Point
Tick Use auto routing
Tick Google
Tick Add course points at junctions

On the Summary screen you can add the course point warning distance, and download straight to the Garmin - are using an Edge 800???

I also turn off recalculate route on the Garmin, so if you did go wrong at a turning, you can just follow the line on the map, like you would with track points.

I've gone off route on purpose with my Garmin and it will just give you a Found Course messgae when you get back onto the line on the map.

Try a test run and see how it goes!

diggers

Post by diggers » 01 Apr 2011 23:03

and the on-line tutorial continues...!
any advice on editing a saved route? The instructions say drag and drop but either nothing very much happens or it just gives an actual straight line to the new route instead of following a road. bizarre.
thanks!

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 02 Apr 2011 08:31

I find it quicker & easier to "cut to end" from where I want to make the change and do the remainder of the route again. If the change is in the first half, reverse route, cut to end, make change, reverse route. It's best to finalise your track before adding coursepoints if that's what you intend for this reason. Terminology above is for bikehike but I guess there's something similar on others.
Eat cake before you're hungry

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 02 Apr 2011 10:13

Well done Claire you are already several steps ahead of me! Good luck with the End to End

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 02 Apr 2011 10:47

When do you set off Claire?

diggers

Post by diggers » 02 Apr 2011 12:48

Leave on Friday night. Eek! So much to do yet.
A visit to the bike shop today for some final bits, more route planning for the garmin tonight ..and out with the beacon tomorrow for a bit of last minute training!
I've totatlly plagiarised your john o'groats to fort william route btw neil. I justify it in that I can give you some feedback prior to your own trip.
A shame I'm doing a different route after that ..otherwise this route planning would have been easy.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 02 Apr 2011 13:20

See you tomorrow, of course being my run it will be raining again good prep for your ride.

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 02 Apr 2011 19:38

Claire, just be aware that part of the route i've plotted between Fort Augustus and Clunes is offroad. Part canal towpath i think and forest track along Loch Lochy. Surface is not bad i believe but Phil might know more. I'll probably use that route if the weather is ok but stick to the A82 if the weather is bad. I'm quite fortunate that it will be a sunday when i ride that leg and so it might be quieter than normal.

I may not be out tomorrow so will wish you well now. Hope everything goes to plan and i look forward to hearing how you get on.

GrahamGamblin

Post by GrahamGamblin » 04 Apr 2011 11:19

Claire - I've had this problem once before with BRT and it was resolved by un-checking the "Elevation" box in the bottom right. This obviously means that BRT will not calculate the climbs/descents for you, this may or may not be important to you. But it makes the file much smaller and easier to load up.
Good luck with your ride, hope the weather is kind.
Graham

dweben

Post by dweben » 04 Apr 2011 23:53

I used bikehike for our 12 day (+2 in Orkneys!) route. Worked real well with the 705. Though I now use ridewithgps.com which is proving to be more reliable.

The GPS will use about 3/4 of its juice per day, hope you can keep it topped up! We went full camping and took solar chargers attached to the bikes. :D

The 705 does have the occasional issue with turning itself off on long distance rides (something to do with the log files hitting a certain size which it doesn't like). Just turn it back on and sometimes it'll pick up when you were, or you can reload the route and it'll pick up anyway. Turn off the re-routing option, it's awful.

Also worth taking an sd-card with a copy of the routes on it... wouldn't want to accidentally delete one en route :oops:

Good luck!