Simano Dura Ace wheels?

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

slogfester

Simano Dura Ace wheels?

Post by slogfester » 23 Jun 2011 17:31

Over in the Club Race sub-forum John Sanderson wrote:Barry - that wheel is definitely good for the bin and nothing else. At least the rim is anyway - i'd assume the hub is OK and the spokes may even be re-useable so perhaps a rebuild with a new rim is in order?
--- cut -----
John, yes presume hub is ok and some spokes may be re-useable and i have a few spares after recent broken spoke, but I can't find anyone selling rims for Kyserium SL 2006 on Google, so it may be a long wait.

In the meantime I think I'll use it as an excuse to buy myself an early birthday present and get some new wheels and -if i can get them fixed- use the old mavics as winter wheels.

the ONLY thing I didnt like about the kyseriums were their susceptibility to cross winds, due to their wide blade spokes. and the new colours are all red and blingy. (whereas my bike is all blue and blingyish :D )
The Dura-ace 7850 c24 CL seem to be well liked on the netsphere and are priced very competively compared to the the mavics. Anyone using them?

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 23 Jun 2011 18:51

I have Shimano RS80s on my Audax bike and I think that I am right in saying that these wheels share the exact same rims as the Dura Ace ones?

EDIT
Just checked and yes they are the same rims.

And for a pair of wheels that are currently selling for just less than £300 (Merlin) they are awesome value for money! In fact they are equally as good as my Kysrium SLs and only give away a few grammes. In some respects they are better due to the better spoke arrangement on the rear.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 23 Jun 2011 19:41

Kysriums are one of the worst wheels built in terms of drag, great everyday wheel but leave them at home for racing on.
If you are racing go for the deepest section wheels you can afford, the Planet X ones are fantastic value for money although the Dura Ace ones look good for crits.

slogfester

Post by slogfester » 23 Jun 2011 19:49

shishhh... shimano dont do themselves any favours. According to their European website (they dont seem to have a UK-specific site?), the 7850 wheels are the top of the range, whereas everyone else gets the 7900 and they are readily available for sale everywhere in the UK for just a few quid more.

Good job I cant ride at the moment, otherwise I'd never get time to research all this!

dweben

Post by dweben » 23 Jun 2011 23:09

Ooer a timely wheel discussion.

I'm using CPX22s... about £70 for both of my wheels (stock on the bike) and while they're ok when on the roll and winter they're a bit crap at everything else.

I'm thinking of spending about £250 on a set and seeing how it goes. Merlin are doing a sale on Krysium Equipes for £240 and also Shimano Ultegra 6700 for £240.

Anyone have any experience of these wheels? I'll probably hoink some GP4000s to replace my stock spesh tyres too.

Cheers, Paul

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 24 Jun 2011 06:17

dweben wrote:Ooer a timely wheel discussion.

I'm using CPX22s... about £70 for both of my wheels (stock on the bike) and while they're ok when on the roll and winter they're a bit crap at everything else.

I'm thinking of spending about £250 on a set and seeing how it goes. Merlin are doing a sale on Krysium Equipes for £240 and also Shimano Ultegra 6700 for £240.

Anyone have any experience of these wheels? I'll probably hoink some GP4000s to replace my stock spesh tyres too.

Cheers, Paul
Paul

I have owned both wheel sets that you have shortlisted, and to be honest there is not a great deal to split them. While it could be argued that he Mavic ones look more blingey, I think that the Shimano are better. But as I suggested first off, the RS80's are indeed the next step up again and well worth spending that little bit extra IMHO.

The GP4000S is a good tyre choice, I switched to these last year from the ProRace 3, which tend to cut up quite easy.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

jonnyri

Post by jonnyri » 24 Jun 2011 08:26

Dont think you could go far wrong with the DA C24. Super smooth hubs and light rims make for a great wheel for crits. If you want a bit more aero then consider the C36. Strongly considering some for myself. Sorry to hear of your crash Barry hope you soon recover.