David Cole

Post by David Cole » 12 Aug 2011 10:23

Looks like a good idea to me. Can't wait for the first one in Northfield

Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

charlie

Post by charlie » 01 Sep 2011 12:37

:roll: Yes but how long would it last in Northfield??

Neil Compton

Post by Neil Compton » 01 Sep 2011 14:32

Not very.

David Cole

Post by David Cole » 02 Sep 2011 08:40

Why is everyone so negative about Northfield and people from Northfield? I've lived there for 11 years now and can think of far worse places to live.

Dave
David Cole

Beacon Roads Cycling Club

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 02 Sep 2011 10:24

David Cole wrote:Why is everyone so negative about Northfield and people from Northfield? I've lived there for 11 years now and can think of far worse places to live.

Dave
The problem lies with the High Street which is truly dreadful and deteriorating. The boarded up shops and dubious looking characters provide the feeling of an unsafe environment and to be avoided.

However, people perceive the High Street as 'Northfield' and it drags down the rest of the wider suberb. Most of the residential areas are average but become particularly pleasant towards the Bournville end. As Dave says, there are far worse.

If only more serious investment could be made to the regeneration of that main retail area.

Albert Cox

Post by Albert Cox » 02 Sep 2011 11:37

Northfield is great place for me. Be fair.

I first met Jackie my wife there in 1946, and so it has a special meaning for me.

In any case does'nt the club meet there to start the Sunday clubruns?

Can't be all that bad...especially with the comparitively new ALDI and it's bargains every week for cyclists!

Let's 'hear it' for this great old village.

I realise it has'nt got atttractions like Drayton with it's Manor Park Amusements but even so.......
ALC

Philip Whiteman

Post by Philip Whiteman » 02 Sep 2011 12:02

Albert Cox wrote:Northfield is great place for me. Be fair.

I realise it has'nt got atttractions like Drayton with it's Manor Park Amusements but even so.......

:lol: :lol: :lol: Drayton Manor is truly horrible.

Please don't get me wrong. Northfield High Street has its problems but it does have potential. It just requires a substantial reboot.

The meeting point for Club Runs (no longer affixed to the High Street) has vastly improved since Weatherspoons bought the Black Horse. No longer are members faced with riding a carpet of broken glass generated by the previous night's bottle fight. In the renovated BH, one or two people have also be witnessed purchasing breakfasts and coffee in the BH prior to joining the club run. So some parts that central part of the area are looking up.

But far worse than the High Street is the really rough area of Heath Road :wink: . Only the other day, I noticed that one resident had not sufficiently disposed of their grass clippings and a piece of litter was to be seen on the ground.

Incidentally, before we moved to Drayton, we lived on the edge of Northfield, so I have an interest here.

Albert Cox

Post by Albert Cox » 02 Sep 2011 12:45

I admit that Northfield has seen it's better days. Gotta be truthful!

Better days like when Kenn [clubmate of mine] had his cycle shop in Frankley Beeches Rd.[ I think you could order your Gameson frame from him]]

And also when we had Cycling Club Dinner Dances at the Black Horse, or further up the Bristol Rd at the King George [Now Chinese Restaurant]. Happy Northfield days all..

The Baths also for us a great general training place.

The Baths building , I remember, was a Food Office in the war for the issue of Ration Books to us populace.

And the public clock with letters 'U-IN -Shoes' [Hewins Shoe Shop] instead of digits for the clock face. The shape in brick for this clock can still be seen, high up, corner of Bells lane.

The tramlines down the main street . Dunlop High Pressures just fitted into the steel track lines...tell me about it....
ALC

CakeStop

Post by CakeStop » 02 Sep 2011 20:07

David Cole wrote: I've lived there for 11 years now and can think of far worse places to live.
I'll wager if you ever put your house up for sale it will have moved to Bournville :lol:
Albert Cox wrote:I first met Jackie my wife there
Me too, my wife that is, not Albert's.
Eat cake before you're hungry

keith

Post by keith » 12 Sep 2011 20:03

I must say that l prefer the club runs that come home past the Man in the Moon pub, that way I get to go past the original and historic centre of Northfield village, from the Victorian railway bridge up the hill past 19th c houses and 18c cottages past the former Victorian school . Past the last few nail makers cottages and work shops any where , minding out for the wall of the parish church that is mentioned in Domesday. The Great Stone Inn is 17c and is adjoined to a medieval pound ,the stone in the pound that gives the pub its name was deposited at the end of the last ice age. the pound is followed by the smart Victorian houses which face the pastoral centre which I believe was once a Tudor tithe barn. admittedly the next 2.25 miles are a bit dull. but while cleaning my bike in the back garden (still in Northfield ) i can see cattle,sheep and horses grassing on near by hills. and cue the music (Jerusalem)
My do people get touchy about where they live