Ceramic Bottom Brackets

Swap notes about technical issues

Moderators: Philip Whiteman, Andy Terry

Philip Whiteman

Ceramic Bottom Brackets

Post by Philip Whiteman » 13 Sep 2011 14:18

Ceramic BBs are supposedly better than normal BBs but are three to four times more expensive.

Just a few of questions:

- what are their longevity compared to a 'normal' BB?
- I assume that they are greased within a cartridge, cannot be relubricated and likely to suffer water ingress like any other BB; if so, what is the advantage?

AlanW

Re: Ceramic Bottom Brackets

Post by AlanW » 13 Sep 2011 15:05

Philip Whiteman wrote:Ceramic BBs are supposedly better than normal BBs but are three to four times more expensive.

Just a few of questions:

- what are their longevity compared to a 'normal' BB?
- I assume that they are greased within a cartridge, cannot be relubricated and likely to suffer water ingress like any other BB; if so, what is the advantage?
As you know I have recently changed to a ceramic bottom bracket on my every day bike. So as its very early days, I cannot really comment on its longevity.

But I can pass comment on the stainless steel versions, as all my bikes have them fitted now, and I would recommend the fitment of them for a couple of reasons:

1) First and for most, they will out last a std bottom bracket by a country mile.

2) They have considerably less drag than a std bottom bracket. In fact the differance is quite amazing at how smoothly they rotate. That said, if you could tell the differance when pedalling is another matter? But I know from experiance when a stainless steel one is fitted and before the chain is fitted, spin the cranks and see how smooth and the duration that the cranks spin? Repeat that with a std bottom bracket and you'll see the differance!

Fitting a ceramic bottom bracket, will see that result go up to another level.

Like all external botttom brackets the bearings are sealed, so no additional lubrication is possible or even necessary. But using Hope as an example, they have a much better seal than OE ones, so of course this will also help in increasing the longevity. Using Hope as an example once again, you can purchase replacement bearing, unlike OE bottom brackets.

The biggest advantage, neither stainless steel or ceramic bearing will ever suffer from pitting, unlike OE ones. This is the biggest reason for bottom brackets failing.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

AlanW

Post by AlanW » 24 Dec 2011 07:29

I have just found these on e-bay and are certainly worth thinking about:-

Ceramic

Stainless Steel

Quite a lot cheaper than Hope, and Pro Lite stuff is very good and I would have no hesitation at all in recommending it. But its a pity that they only do them in one colour though.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

Ed Moss

Post by Ed Moss » 24 Dec 2011 12:17

On The TT forum anything ceramic has pretty much been discussed, conclusion, performance v cost, the benefits are really not worth it.

Ceramic in principle is good, but to perform, the bearings need to put under a lot more pressure than your legs could ever produce..In your head you may go faster, but in reality stick with steel.

Dave Cox

Post by Dave Cox » 24 Dec 2011 13:57

Ed,
That's what I've always thought, you'd have to be really hard to need ceramic balls!